NI Replika

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I actually read that as the requirements are a graphic hardware that supports OpenGL 2.1 and above, and not as I thought that automatically you must also have the latest drivers as part of the requirment. Seems to me, from what you quoted that as chok071 says that is to be done if you have issues.

May I ask out of curiosity when did you last update your graphic drivers on your laptop?
I know my new computers don't always have the latest drivers. And I am not saying that this is your issue, I am just curious.

rsp
sound sculptist

Well when the NI official builds up to their instruction to install the latest drivers manually by using the word 'requirement' three times - even when you and windows are convinced they are up-to-date - I read that as a requirement. Anyway, this kind of semantic pedantry is totally unnecessary and certainly isn't something I'm interested in debating any further. chk071 asked me to qualify my opinions with official NI statements, and I feel I have certainly delivered what he asked for. Beyond that I'll leave it to the brain trust to debate the semantic minutea (though you really have to engage in some serious linguistic gymnastics to overlook the fact Keir, the NI official, calls it a requirement three times)

As far as when I last updated my graphics card drivers...well, I've said it a couple of times in this thread already:
Daags wrote:New laptop here, and a clean install of Win 7 with all drivers up-to-date.
so, somewhere between 24 and 36 hours before I installed Replika.

Thanks for the info. If you havent already uninstalled Replika, do you have any other host on your laptop to see if the problem persists there too?
Thanks
Rsp
sound sculptist

@ Daags: This is what i wrote:
Can you provide a link of an official statement from a NI official, that every user using Replika must have the latest graphics drivers installed?
It also says that you are required to have an OpenGL 2.1 capable graphics chip to be able to run Replika, which basically means you are required to have a computer to run it, because every super cheap onboard graphics chip is capable of OpenGL 3 nowadays. Again, all it says is that if you have problems, update your graphics drivers to the latest version, which is an absolutely reasonable recommendation. If you have no problems running Replika, you won't have to do so anyway.

I can only guess that NI tried something new with Replika, because afaik, using OpenGL for GUI related things is nothing new, and other developers use it for their plugins GUI's too. Trying something new, which could cause problems for some users of course is not really ideal, considering the marketing effect of free plugins. I'd really wish they had an official over here, because frankly, i can't be arsed to register on yet another forum, especially for a free plugin. Just can hope that enough people give their feedback in the respective threads on the NI forum.

Its the Qt Quick framework thats causing the problems.

Thats also why i wouldnt be so sure that the fix (if there even is one) will be quick and easy, because if the issues are caused by something which only the QtQuick guys can fix then NI would have to wait for an update themselves, in other words it might take some time until they can actually begin to do something on their end.

(Just saying, since some seem to believe that there will be a fix right after the holidays are over.)

chk071 wrote:@ Daags: This is what i wrote:
Can you provide a link of an official statement from a NI official, that every user using Replika must have the latest graphics drivers installed?
It also says that you are required to have an OpenGL 2.1 capable graphics chip to be able to run Replika, which basically means you are required to have a computer to run it, because every super cheap onboard graphics chip is capable of OpenGL 3 nowadays. Again, all it says is that if you have problems, update your graphics drivers to the latest version, which is an absolutely reasonable recommendation. If you have no problems running Replika, you won't have to do so anyway.
Yes, as a semantic pedant myself, chk071 is right. The key word in the quote from NI that Daags posted is not "requirement" but "if". The requirement is OpenGL 2.1. You can have graphics drivers that are several years old that meet the requirements:
Native Instruments wrote:1.) Requirements
Replika requires graphics hardware support for OpenGL 2.1 - if you see any issues on your computer, please download and install the latest drivers for your GPU. This can be necessary even if Windows reports them as up to date.
What NI are saying is that if you meet the OpenGL requirements but still have issues, try updating your graphics drivers first. Not update your graphics drivers whatever you do, even if it works fine, i.e. updated graphic drivers are not the requirement. Chances are that many old drivers will have no issues, but some will. Some new drivers will probably also have issues, updating drivers may however solve issues with older drivers.

I know this doesn't help solve Daag's issues with the plugin though, I wish I could be more help there. I can suggest trying it out in a different DAW if you haven't already. For some reason, Replika refused to load in FL after I installed it (crashed even before displaying the UI). I loaded it up in Toby Bear's MiniHost and it worked immediately - and since then it works in FL too, I have no idea why (initial activation issues on first starting the plugin???)

Is this showing up in people's NI account?

I have it registered and working a treat, but it's not in my Registered Products online.
My Supercharged (Xmas gift) is there so it isn't a freebie thing.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

What other QT Quick using plugins are there? I wonder if my computer has a problem with them too..

Mushy Mushy wrote:Is this showing up in people's NI account?

I have it registered and working a treat, but it's not in my Registered Products online.
It is listed in mine as "Replika (Xmas Gift 2014)"

VitaminD wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:Is this showing up in people's NI account?

It is listed in mine as "Replika (Xmas Gift 2014)"
Cool. Thanks man.
It must just take it's time getting there then.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Installed latest nVidia drivers. Studio One still crashes. Unhappy...

Using it with Reaper default GUI here

sjm wrote: Yes, as a semantic pedant myself, chk071 is right. The key word in the quote from NI that Daags posted is not "requirement" but "if". The requirement is OpenGL 2.1. You can have graphics drivers that are several years old that meet the requirements:
Native Instruments wrote:1.) Requirements
Replika requires graphics hardware support for OpenGL 2.1 - if you see any issues on your computer, please download and install the latest drivers for your GPU. This can be necessary even if Windows reports them as up to date.
What NI are saying is that if you meet the OpenGL requirements but still have issues, try updating your graphics drivers first. Not update your graphics drivers whatever you do, even if it works fine, i.e. updated graphic drivers are not the requirement. Chances are that many old drivers will have no issues, but some will. Some new drivers will probably also have issues, updating drivers may however solve issues with older drivers.
And there's the gymanstics I was referring to. Three times Keir says it is a requirement. And while your semantic pedantry is strong, maybe your logic could do with some work.

Scenario:
A door requires the latest key to be unlocked and let a person past it.
if you can not open the door, please go to reception to receive the latest key.

So if you can open the door, you think that means the latest key isn't required ? You obviously already have the right key. The key is still required. Just because you didn't have to go to reception does not mean the key isn't a requirement. So while the 'if' is a keyword for some people (ahem, no pun intended), it does not supercede all the emphasis that has been placed on 'requirement'.

Some people already run the very latest drivers (i.e have the key) and some people don't (i.e have to go to reception). It's still a requirement, so says NI Official. chk asked for the official NI statements to qualify my comment, and he or she got them. it would have been reasonable to concede at that point that my comment wasn't unreasonable considering the official statements, rather than subsequently venture into some inane "ya, but they didn't say 'requirement'" nonsense, or worse some 'if' nonsense.

anyway, why not go back to my original statement that inspired this line of discussion and see if you really feel it's justified, necessary, useful, or if it makes my statement any less relevant.

the irony is it's not a graphics issue for me - since I already fulfil their graphics driver requirement. let's keep in mind that there seems to be various issues at play here causing crashes and instability. the graphics just being one.

spirit wrote:It's rubbish. Can you imagine Fabfilter releasing such a buggy plugin?
I can't imagine Fabfilter being so generous as to give away such a nice plugin, so even with some bugs, thumbs up for NI !

Daags wrote: And there's the gymanstics I was referring to. Three times Keir says it is a requirement. And while your semantic pedantry is strong, maybe your logic could do with some work [srsly???].

Scenario:
A door requires the latest key to be unlocked and let a person past it.
if you can not open the door, please go to reception to receive the latest key.

So if you can open the door, you think that means the latest key isn't required ?
Yes, because you only need the right key, not the latest key, i.e. any key that opens the door will do. You've interpreted the latest into it.
Last edited by sjm on Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”