Now Hive is here, is it RIP Sylenth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2 Sylenth1

VitaminD wrote:
Fritze wrote:
VitaminD wrote:I have all three. All three sound different from one another. I will be using all three.
:hihi:

I know.. but they really do sound different! :lol:

And they each layer pretty well in different capacities :ud:
Ah, I thought that you wrote this in the context that there are three threads about Hive. I thought that was a pretty cool joke. :lol:
If you meant the 3 sound engines in Hive: Yes, very cool and all are very useful! :D

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:and the fact that it has step arp (Hive just has a sequencer and non stepped arp as far as I can tell). But these are preferences.
What is Step Arp?
My lazy way of saying step-sequenced arpeggiator. Like Zebra and Sylenth1 have. As far as i can tell Hive has a sequencer and a separate non-programmable arp.
I feel the urge to write an article about this, probably as part of the user manual :hihi:

Zebra's "Arpeggiator" (actually, FilterscapeVA's in 2004) was one of the first of its kind, as part of a softsynth. It's a crossbred of an Arpeggiator and a Step Sequencer. The idea was pretty cool at the time, but ten years of support tell me:

- the concept is too abstract (arpeggiator + step transpose yields odd scales)
- the main applications are either sequences, or rhythmic arpeggios
- there was never really a reason to marry those concepts

I think having them as separate enteties is just fine, it generally makes the individual units easier to understand and it also opens up new possibilities. Some of which we haven't finsihed yet.

- Urs

MFXxx wrote: Got to ask...the WIP honeycombs, what's going to happen in that little hive??? Survey coupin to spend...so I nearly decided :)
Great stuff is coming. We have an amazing plan, and a fallback plan for if the amazing plan goes poof. And also, a fallback plan if the fallback plan disintegrates.

In any case, we intend to succeed on all three plans. However, if we wnat to release timely, we need to start with just one of those.

:cry: ...they all gone crazy !!!!!

OutCider wrote:
trimph1 wrote:
OutCider wrote:
Always good to have a fanbot synth war, so three minute warning and all :borg:
Fanbot? Oi.... :scared: :lol:
It's a good name. Only real topic for discussion is now that Fanbot is here, is it rip fanbois? :borg: :lol: :hihi:
:lol: :lol:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

I don't get all this Hive hype :shrug:

As to answer teh question, the principle of these two synths is opposite. Hive is about distortion and weird filters, Sylenth1 is all about clarity.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I don't get all this Sylenth1 hype :box:

When was it last updated?

Urs wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:and the fact that it has step arp (Hive just has a sequencer and non stepped arp as far as I can tell). But these are preferences.
What is Step Arp?
My lazy way of saying step-sequenced arpeggiator. Like Zebra and Sylenth1 have. As far as i can tell Hive has a sequencer and a separate non-programmable arp.
I feel the urge to write an article about this, probably as part of the user manual :hihi:

Zebra's "Arpeggiator" (actually, FilterscapeVA's in 2004) was one of the first of its kind, as part of a softsynth. It's a crossbred of an Arpeggiator and a Step Sequencer. The idea was pretty cool at the time, but ten years of support tell me:

- the concept is too abstract (arpeggiator + step transpose yields odd scales)
- the main applications are either sequences, or rhythmic arpeggios
- there was never really a reason to marry those concepts

I think having them as separate enteties is just fine, it generally makes the individual units easier to understand and it also opens up new possibilities. Some of which we haven't finsihed yet.

- Urs
I was totally wrong in what I meant anyways. I thought that the sequencer was totally separate from the arp in Hive and the arp only did standard up/down type things, like with Diva. I didn't realize that when you turn the arp on and the sequencer was running at the same time, that the the sequencer arpeggiates the chords you're holding. It works great!

DJ Warmonger wrote:Hive is about distortion and weird filters, Sylenth1 is all about clarity.
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=427890 :shrug:

Scroll down to "What about these oscillators?", there isn't much difference between Sylenth1 and Hive...

Tricky-Loops wrote: Scroll down to "What about these oscillators?", there isn't much difference between Sylenth1 and Hive...
And yet they sound so different...
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

DJ Warmonger wrote:I don't get all this Hive hype :shrug:

As to answer teh question, the principle of these two synths is opposite. Hive is about distortion and weird filters, Sylenth1 is all about clarity.
What kind of weird filters did you make out in Hive? What makes you assume that Hive is all about distortion?

I'm just asking, because I don't get the point. In other forums they found out that Hive sounds to clean to be on par with Sylenth. You just said the opposite. As if there was any point in it. It slowly dawns on me that some people simply don't want Hive to exist, and therefore they put out random observations that are based on, hmmm, nothing. As if that would change anything. But it doesn't. We're gonna release this. People want this and whether or not other people prefer something else has nothing to do with that :clown:

I would have bought hive if i could (Tried to buy Ace a week ago but none of the payment options worked so i gave up).

Wish you would have a paypal option also instead of Share-it only which i have problems with.

I find Hive more similar to Synapse audio's Antidote than Sylenth so it is great to have a similar synth like that in vst form too :)

do_androids_dream wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote: Scroll down to "What about these oscillators?", there isn't much difference between Sylenth1 and Hive...
Seriously? - Because I can recompile Hive with 2 waveform multisamples per octave and then they cancel out perfectly. But then the switches become audible, and we don't want that.

There's no myth to be debunked here. It's very plain standard DSP.

However, yes, the filters sound very different. I wouldn't want to go back in time only to clone a synth that already exists.

Once I get past all the obvious edm bloat, I do find a character in each of them I like well enough. Although I may be more in the camp of them being more similar in sound than different. The one thing that comes up in comparison is for all their worth and simplicity... as well as being good synths capable of more than the ubiquitous flood of genre makes them...

Do I actually need them?
Probably not.

I don't think Sylenth is dead per se. But it has been buried by its own weight.
Hive at least offers a fresh start and approach.

May have a coupon to pass along here soon, but for the moment, I'll keep playing with the beta.

Urs wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:
Seriously? - Because I can recompile Hive with 2 waveform multisamples per octave and then they cancel out perfectly. But then the switches become audible, and we don't want that.

There's no myth to be debunked here. It's very plain standard DSP.

However, yes, the filters sound very different. I wouldn't want to go back in time only to clone a synth that already exists.
I'm referring to the overall sound of both synths. So yes, I'm taking into account filters and probably to some extent the effects etc. I guess I'm just being an obstinate counter-acter in this thread as it's a pretty ridiculous thread to start with. When a new synth comes out around here there tends to be an emperors new clothes syndrome - everyone seems overly keen to replace everything they spent their hard earned cash on 6 months ago with the latest and greatest. Why would anyone want to be a Sylenth killer? It's an awesome synth that fully deserves it's place - still completely functional and useable without having been updated in a long while. Hive is also a very good sounding synth indeed that, in time, will probably have a place amongst the best. I find that it sounds cleaner, harder edged - it's got the U-He sound which I've always found to be what I would call 'cutting', 'solid' much in the same way as perhaps a nord lead sounds cutting and solid (subjective terms I know - think of, say, a Poly 800 or MS2000 to be the opposite to this kind of sound to put it into context - kind of saturated/wishy-washy/weak by comparison).

My comments are not meant to be in any way derogatory towards Hive. I was very impressed by some of what I was hearing in the various sound examples in the previous threads and the video somebody posted up the other day.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Return to “Instruments”