Slate VCC

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Actually, you can find a KVR Mark in my sig which tells how I use VCC.

But in Cubase, it's usually this way:

- Cubase's own Input gain/trim knob (Prefilter Module) to boost/trim the signal
- VUMT (VU meter, Insert Slot 1)
- VCC channel (Insert Slot 2)
- whatever i need post that
- channel fader

Depending on the desired sound on the summing bus or sub groups:

Fairly "clean" console:
- Insert 1: VCC Bus

"Overdriven" console:
- Insert 1: MUtility (+ x-amount dB)
- Insert 2: VCC Bus
- Insert 3: VCC Bus (- x-amount dB similar to Insert 1)

"broken" console:
- insert 4: another saturation module, or SleepyTime's Crosstalk v2 (to add even more crosstalk)

Sometimes I even add VTM, but only if I want to create a certain "vintage sound"
I even created tests running from VTM -> VCC -> Sub Groups (VCC -> VTM) -> Sum (from tape -> VCC -> VTM). But this scenario needs a lot(!) of hi frequency compensation. Unless really want that 60s sound (which needs the added low cut of course, to get that slightly distorted, mid-frequency heavy sound) - then go ahead, use as many modules as you like until your CPU barfs.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

So to sum this thread up (really should edit my OP)

I can't read :hihi:
I CAN now hear it.
Many good points on how to use/etc

:)

Oh yeah, @BERFAB: If I confirm that that might be the way to go. However, I still think slate may just have a killer deal for xmas (I have another 13 days to demo it)

Compyfox wrote:Actually, you can find a KVR Mark in my sig which tells how I use VCC.

But in Cubase, it's usually this way:

- Cubase's own Input gain/trim knob (Prefilter Module) to boost/trim the signal
- VUMT (VU meter, Insert Slot 1)
- VCC channel (Insert Slot 2)
- whatever i need post that
- channel fader

Depending on the desired sound on the summing bus or sub groups:

Fairly "clean" console:
- Insert 1: VCC Bus

"Overdriven" console:

"broken" console:
- insert 4: another saturation module, or SleepyTime's Crosstalk v2 (to add even more crosstalk)

Sometimes I even add VTM, but only if I want to create a certain "vintage sound"
I even created tests running from VTM -> VCC -> Sub Groups (VCC -> VTM) -> Sum (from tape -> VCC -> VTM). But this scenario needs a lot(!) of hi frequency compensation. Unless really want that 60s sound (which needs the added low cut of course, to get that slightly distorted, mid-frequency heavy sound) - then go ahead, use as many modules as you like until your CPU barfs.
Good points!!
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Version 2 is supposed to add this, and it's alleged that we'll get it in January (Slate just sent an email today saying they're still on target for early January).
I assume as it's version 2 that this will be a paid upgrade. Do you know what Slate's pricing policy is for upgrades as I'm tempted to buy VCC at the current offer.

I know that some companies charge almost the full price of the product for updates :(

Paulnz wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Version 2 is supposed to add this, and it's alleged that we'll get it in January (Slate just sent an email today saying they're still on target for early January).
I assume as it's version 2 that this will be a paid upgrade. Do you know what Slate's pricing policy is for upgrades as I'm tempted to buy VCC at the current offer.

I know that some companies charge almost the full price of the product for updates :(
Good news, you've assumed wrong! VCC 2.0 will be a free upgrade for all VCC owners. Slate has stated so several times already publicly. Same for FGX 2.0 (which I don't own, so doesn't apply to me).

VCC isn't on any special offer that I'm aware of. RC-tube is. I made that mistake.

hibidy wrote:VCC isn't on any special offer that I'm aware of. RC-tube is. I made that mistake.
VCC is currently on special for $99 however I just got RC-Tube for the $29 + $10 for shipping the free ilok and the upgrade to the full VCC from RC Tube is only $49 making it just $78 + $10 for international shipping for the free ilok if you want it

I've never used the RC-tube, the SSL and Neve circuits are awesome though.
I don't think I'll ever mixdown without them anymore.
The Neve is VERY obviously fairly smiley curved and pretty fat, and the SSL emulation is nice and tight.

Paulnz wrote:
hibidy wrote:VCC isn't on any special offer that I'm aware of. RC-tube is. I made that mistake.
VCC is currently on special for $99 however I just got RC-Tube for the $29 + $10 for shipping the free ilok and the upgrade to the full VCC from RC Tube is only $49 making it just $78 + $10 for international shipping for the free ilok if you want it
I didn't know that 99 was a special.

sqigls wrote:I've never used the RC-tube, the SSL and Neve circuits are awesome though.
I don't think I'll ever mixdown without them anymore.
The Neve is VERY obviously fairly smiley curved and pretty fat, and the SSL emulation is nice and tight.
It's great for electric guitar though. I found it adds a smoothness with presence where as the others were either too scooped or too bright.

I just used the API on a drum buss today, and it sounds like the most saturated of the group, which was just perfect for these drums. Never really used it much before, always focusing more on the Neve and SSL. Nice having all these options where you can still be pleasantly surprised years after purchase.

Yes i can see that, unfortunately I'm not working with guitars and mics much anymore, but i can see that the tube algorithm would be great for acoustic stuff and rock music etc...
I personally use the SSL algo all the time, lately trying to use the Neve algo, but this plugin REALLY needs to be applied at the START! Whereas other people find it too subtle to hear, I find the effect on the stereo spread, and especially the low end of the Neve, is just too much to go loading it later in the game. It changes the amount of compression and EQ needed, and the overall width of the mix etc.

Originally I was all about the Trident setting, but now I use SSL on all channels, trident on groups and neve on master! what a luxury :)

As someone else said, mix into it as default as the way to go.

I've also found that a when doing some home masters that driving it nicely with the trident setting can bring out this amazing width.

It's on sale for 79 (as is FGX)

bludreamsounds wrote:Is VCC going to get an update ?
Yes so you can run it in Slate VMR think it gets a new console added too if you own the full version. it will also use less CPU. Steve says it is due next month sometime.

Return to “Effects”