Track Renaming

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It would be great if you could double-click the track name and change it without going into the inspector.

Also, when do do click to change the track name in the inspector the content should auto-highlight so you don't need to delete it first. Every click counts.

yea i kept trying to double click but now i just use command+R and that works fine for me
didn't take long at all to get used to
-Tristan
MacBook Pro|MacOS Sierra|Bitwig Studio 2.0
UA Apollo Twin| EVE SC207 Monitors|ATH M50x|Focal Spirt Pro|Komplete 10|Push

I agree double clicking the name should allow you to rename it. Same thing goes for renaming pads in the drum machine or sampler.
Mac Studio M1 Max 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB RAM, 4TB SSD | Logic Pro 10.7.5 | Cubase Pro 12 | Nuendo 12 | Studio One 6 | Seagate 8TB external HDD | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd Gen | Akai MPK261 | Akai MPC X

What's wrong with using "CMD-R" ?

nechronics wrote:What's wrong with using "CMD-R" ?
Nothing, but that doesn't mean that there can't be more than 1 way of renaming a track.

Just right-click and choose rename. That's what most programs have been doing for years. I don't see the point of double-clicking if all you need to do is right-click. Unfortunately this only works on Tracks though. I wish I could right click and choose rename for clips too, but as of now you can only rename clips using the Inspector.
It's all about the music

bassicdj wrote:I don't see the point of double-clicking if all you need to do is right-click.
Because right click is not all you need to do... after you right click you also have to move the mouse in the menu and then click again. So you end up with a double click with a specific mouse move in between.

a simple double click is much faster and needs less mental attention.

I see your point, but either way you only need to click twice. Yes, right clicking involves a third move, but we're talking about milliseconds here. I can't imagine finding the word "Rename" demands that much mental attention. It's literally on the very top of the list. All you have to do is just move your mouse down a couple of pixels.

In life you have to choose your battles. Nothing is ever going to be perfect. I can live with right-clicking and choose Rename instead of double-clicking. However I feel like I'm being forced too much to rely on the Inspector, which is a completely foreign concept to me and is going to take some getting used to. I don't understand why I can rename Tracks by right-clicking, but not Clips.
It's all about the music

Last I checked, Ableton Live works the same way and it drives me crazy. Cubase uses a double-click.

Renaming tracks, regions, clips is something I do all the time so any milliseconds saved are appreciated :)

F2 is the function I'm used to when it comes to renaming. Either that, an option in the right-click menu or double-clicking the track itself.

Surprisingly, all 3 are omitted from Bitwig.

Strange lol.
My YouTube channel (Production & Mixing Tutorials) : http://bit.ly/JC_Biffro-My_Channel :D

My SoundCloud : https://soundcloud.com/jcbiffro 8)

i need the tab function to fast rename consecutive tracks/chains without have to click->cmdR->type->click->cmdR->type for each track/chain you want to rename. Simply press tab while renaming the first track/chain and instantly you get focus on the next track/chain to rename. Could be a nice FR to ask

I agree with the shortcut suggestions above, especially the tabbing behavior for renaming objects in series, but I've recently started to really like the shortcut quietly introduced in one of the updates.

You can alt-click a track name to rename it. It's very quick and it auto highlights the text for immediate typing. You can also do this to clips but I don't think in every context. It would be great if it applied to everything, including custom device headers (in the future).

That said, I think double clicking is probably the fastest (as it uses one hand). All these little things add up to get in a zen-flow of production. I still think no matter how you go about it, adding devices to a track needs some shortcut love.

Return to “Bitwig”