Where do -you- obtain click/shaker/pop/snap/crackle/wrinkle type samples?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Do you just collect nice samples you hear and record? I'm curious if many are sampled out of recordings or if there are soundsets designed specifically for this? I actually have a shortage of them, probably a rare problem here?

Most are designed effect sounds. You can buy (or even get some free) these in most of the commercial soundstores e.g. in internet. I love these "comic sounds" and have a big collection. There are also some special dedications such as the Toy Museum series, which includes plenty of extraordinary samples.

Harry_HH wrote:Most are designed effect sounds. You can buy (or even get some free) these in most of the commercial soundstores e.g. in internet. I love these "comic sounds" and have a big collection. There are also some special dedications such as the Toy Museum series, which includes plenty of extraordinary samples.
Cool, do you have a link?

www.uvi.net/en/musical-toys/complete-toy-museum.html

I've seen these also in sale, sometimes.

I have shakers from a number of sources, from VSL to Tonehammer (Small Epic Percussion) to LS Samples 'Small Percussion', to the 'Percussion' addon for BFD2.
Crackles/wrinkles is kind of more Foley. First place I'd look is Freesound.org. I have snapping fingers in BFD Percussion extension with things like clacking hard shoes together and handclaps, which can be as good for a handclap on the beat to 'golf claps' or a small audience applauding.

Once, before I had any Bartok Snap pizz strings, I layered 'tack4' (not sure what it's exactly a sample of really) onto the thing out of something I got from freesound and it totally worked. I like when necessity is the mother of invention like that. That's been a very valuable resource for me.

OK, thank you.

Shakers you can get anywhere as for others...Kinetic Metal.

i just tried something new last night. while working on something, I turned on the mic on my laptop and recorded me crunching tapping and scraping various crap that is on my desk. got some interesting lo-fi sounds that are definitely going to be used in the track.

there are lots of libraries that I have stumbled across on line for this sort of thing as well. i want to say there was a big pack on bedroom producers blog.
macbook pro 2.88 GHz Intel Core Duo, 10 gigs ram, 750GB HD, Logic Studio 9
my blog and some music:
http://rabbitearsmotel.wordpress.com/

Best thing to do is get a handheld recorder and go nuts!

Smash, break, crumble, crunch, roll, twist, stretch all kinds of stuff and record the sounds in glorious 24bit 48khz.

Best of all it's free if you have a handheld recorder.
:borg:

I think 99sounds have a bunch of stuff like this for free ... or record your own. I got some plastic hand clappers and shakers for xmas :party: they'll get sampled sooner or later.

If you have Kontakt, Soundiron do a nice bunch of percussion in Little Epic Percussion. If you have Geist, there's a bunch in Cinematic Percussion. Those are more traditional percussion stuff, but are good budget options (Soundiron on Xmas sale at the moment). That aside (and 99 sounds and freesound as well), +1 the handheld recorder route. Set one up, go crazy making noise (watch the levels) then get trimming and leveling in Geist or similar. Doesn't take long to find an interesting kit's-worth!
Textur for ACE
After Hours for Lounge Lizard EP-4
Prism Sticks for Chromaphone 2

We've made loads before using random objects rather than what you would expect the source to be, for instance hitting different size aerosol cans to create bell type sounds. For clicks/pops/snaps you've really got to get stacking ie. record lots of versions of the source, potentially with any mics you have laying around, in different spaces and distances. Then get chopping and stacking, being sure to layer up using loose spacing and get panning. Getting the right 'punch' at the end is a different story though.

+1 for experimenting with using your laptop mic as well for great lo-if crackle and wrinkle sounds, try running your palms and finger tips across your case, keys and table.

Ps. Amazon/eBay children's percussion toys = jackpot cheapville

Stick a mic on a bowl of Kellogg's Rice Krispies. Somebody had to say it, carry on....

DYI in the box: I enjoy throwing noise, bit-reduced sounds, etc. in to some grain effects, bouncing to audio, then cutting it up :)

This is very helpful. I guess silverware, bike chains, etc. may even make good metallic sounds.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”