Delay / reverb developers - Add separate dry/wet knobs to your plugin!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think I've never changed the dry level on VSL Hybrid Reverb during a track. I can't remember ever adding the parameter to the automation map.
But my most typical setup (except for the drum mixer) has a plate on the master bus of the instance.
And often with the guitar fx rack there is a slapback type of instance on a send in addition to a room and a reversed reverb (on sends. I haven't put it on an insert since forever. I'm actually interested in subtle). It's crazy? :shrug: I don't mix by abstractions or my eyes, let alone dogma. Click on my links for real grandeur! :party:

I like that the choice is provided, because of this type of usage. Here there are three or four different characters I'm working with and I really do prefer wet as a separate idea. Hybrid also has an output level, which I would tend to advise to forget about.

+1 Abstract Chamber Reverb controls :clap:

Personally also like solution where:
Dry=On/Off
Wet= Full control 0-100%
Ableton Live 9 | Synthmaster | EDM

Reaper doesn't have this problem. Using an aux also eliminates the issue.

aciddose wrote: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:51 pm Yes fading between the gain/mix would be intolerable.

This is a unique situation for a lot of reasons. In the past we couldn't "automate" such a control, so obviously this would never have made sense on a rack-mount or module.

This is why the mix + fix idea seems like a good solution. Covers all bases, except if someone can think of some other case wet/dry knobs are needed.
Hello there. I think you are the right one to ask. I am looking for something else so i will start by adressing this thread and then attach my other question.

To the part „Why have separate Dry+Wet „ in my case it would be „Curiosity“.
I would be happy if there at least was a „Delta“ button on every single plugin out there. Just so i can listen to the Wet signal whenever i want. Its not a „cant live without“ but i would welcome it.
Also you said somemwhere something like „Cant have two dials“ ,,, Suggestion , what about
if there was a DRY and a WET dial that you could Unlink+ Link in a "one goes up while the other goes down“ fashion? Would this not work?

Now to my question as you strike me as technically adept.
Regarding Dry/Wet. If i have a plugin that has a Dry/Wet dial. If i set it to Wet 100% is what i am hearing the Summ of the incoming signal +the Wet signal or only the Wet signal? This always confuses me

Thanks in advance!

100% = the wet signal only.

Interesting topic with diverging styles between the highly technical and the artistic angles.
We all play, mix, think and eat very differently...

Small contribution from me, I think the free DEELAY plugin offers great solutions with separate wet/dry and a very usable diffusion algorithm and ducking, cool modes etc...

Little off topic, but... any recommendations for basic dual delay with independent tempo sync for left and right channel? (Win, VST3, resizable). Thanks
AudioThing|Cableguys|Image-Line|Klanghelm|Tokyo Dawn Records|Tritik|Valhalla DSP
Dmitry Sches|Surge Synth Team|u-he

kritikon wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:06 pm 100% = the wet signal only.
Thanks!

yzcoruhT wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:51 am Little off topic, but... any recommendations for basic dual delay with independent tempo sync for left and right channel? (Win, VST3, resizable). Thanks
Very flexible and very affordable would be Hornet Plugins DeeLay and DeeLay Plus.

Maybe also Tal Software "Dub X“ or what its called might have it also but i think its more expensive and am not sure if it has independent tempo sync . Cant remember 100%

On turbopaco I went with separate dry/wet, because it's what I like when using as an Insert. Mystran's solution is also cool to save screen real estate.

yzcoruhT wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:51 am Little off topic, but... any recommendations for basic dual delay with independent tempo sync for left and right channel? (Win, VST3, resizable). Thanks
https://www.voxengo.com/product/tempodelay/

Newfangled Audio's new delay Recirculate lets you do this, I think

Honestly I've barely had time to play with it since I picked it up, which is a bummer because it's a cool delay, but I'm pretty sure it does this

What about ducking?
More important for me,
I have a dry wet knob for every
Plugin in Reaper anyway

Thanks all. I already bought Quantum Delay for 10USD. Nice plugin.
AudioThing|Cableguys|Image-Line|Klanghelm|Tokyo Dawn Records|Tritik|Valhalla DSP
Dmitry Sches|Surge Synth Team|u-he

Sutnikoev wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:24 pm if there was a DRY and a WET dial that you could Unlink+ Link in a "one goes up while the other goes down“ fashion? Would this not work?

Regarding Dry/Wet. If i have a plugin that has a Dry/Wet dial. If i set it to Wet 100% is what i am hearing the Summ of the incoming signal +the Wet signal or only the Wet signal? This always confuses me

Thanks in advance!
100% wet is the effect only, no dry. So if you use a host like Reaper, you can mix 100% wet and then use another channel to mix in dry. Wet/dry mix is for insert effects only. You should always be using 100% wet for send effects, which by default have independent wet/dry control via the send interface. This is why such concerns are mostly pointless ... as generally speaking the only time it would be useful to have additional functionality is when using the effect as an insert in very limited situations. In those special cases, it makes much more sense to apply the mix externally, as it's a 1/10 or less case of a reverb or similar effect being applied that way, let alone already maybe 1/10 (therefore 1/100) is it used as an insert effect at all.

In general, reverb effects are best applied as send effects with 100% wet mix, which makes even having the wet/dry mix knob pointless and a waste already.

Delay effects and effects such as modulated delays (flanger, chorus, ...) benefit from additional controls too such as an "invert wet" switch. More advanced plug-ins must use modular configuration much like old rackmount effects. The delay lines, dry, inputs and feedback (for loop effects) were generally individually exposed to be patched as desired.

My design goal for my effect plug-ins has always been to absolutely minimize complexity and to avoid exposing potentially redundant or rarely used controls. My reverb exposes a ton of parameters from the delay time computation that most users would likely prefer to have "hidden" behind "type" presets (metal box, closet, room, hall, canyon, ...) The idea of adding more knobs/controls is something I dislike quite a lot if it is possible in those cases to work around the limitations of a simple effect.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Return to “Effects”