Classic ZynAddSubFX VST download

Official support for: zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

folderol wrote:@ishkabibile
At last year's LAC I actually had someone say there were too many controls! I told him he didn't have to use them all if he didn't want to :)
:lol: One can NEVER have too many knobs and switches.
folderol wrote:One thing that surprises me is that hardly anyone seems to use kits to build up multi-layer voices.
In many cases it is not necessary - I routinely use 4 or 5 voices in the ADDsynth to build up the layers. Since each voice has its own VCA+EG+trigger delay, it is very easy to morph from one voice to another through time. I only use the kit when I need to combine different synths (Add + Sub + Pad), or need multiple Sub- or Padsynths.

Marginal Ray wrote:I only used presets from the conventional Zyn guitar bank. Nothing special.
Guess I need to spend a little more time perusing other people's patches :dog:

folderol wrote: One thing that surprises me is that hardly anyone seems to use kits to build up multi-layer voices.
I do use layering (e.g. outer galaxy pad) , and one thing that comes up for me is wanting different controller settings for different layers. I might put a portamento layer on top on a normal. Also, each voice in a composite might need a different effects chain. Don't get me wrong; kits are very useful, but there are walls you often butt into when you want to use them. I'd far prefer using kits in general rather than blowing everything away by loading xmz files. I prefer using as few distinct zyn instances as possible, and I use the midi channels to select the instruments each controller plays.
Last edited by caonoize on Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

caonoize wrote:kits are very useful, but there are walls you often butt into when you want to use them.
Indeed - I would not use a kit for multiple, independent instruments. There isn't enough real-time independent control over parts in a kit. But I do find kits very useful for some of my more complex sounds.
I always have to remind myself that people really DO use the multi-timbral capabilities of ZASF. I'm lazy - I run one ZASF per track. Makes keeping track of all the inputs and outputs simple, at the expense of a few CPU cycles. And at my age, trading CPU cycles for brain cycles is a survival skill - you could call it a no-brainer....

caonoize wrote:each voice in a composite might need a different effects chain.
That you CAN do in a kit - you have 6 FX "slots" that you can connect together or use individually, and each part in a kit can send its output to any one of the six. Why only 6? AFAIK it is another case of "why would anyone need more than 640K of RAM?", but that said, I haven't run out of slots yet.

ishkabbible wrote:
caonoize wrote:each voice in a composite might need a different effects chain.
That you CAN do in a kit - you have 6 FX "slots" that you can connect together or use individually...
I thought it was just three for the instrument effects. Perhaps you compiled your own with more instrument effect slots.

From src/globals.h:

/*
* Number of part's insertion effects
*/
#define NUM_PART_EFX 3

caonoize wrote: I thought it was just three for the instrument effects. Perhaps you compiled your own with more instrument effect slots.

From src/globals.h:

/*
* Number of part's insertion effects
*/
#define NUM_PART_EFX 3
Interesting - I went to sourceforge and download the original 2.4.1, and you are indeed correct. I expect VDXi must have expanded the slots when he made the VST version. I have been running with

#define NUM_SYS_EFX 4
#define NUM_INS_EFX 8
#define NUM_PART_EFX 6

for a couple of years now, with no ill effects... :P

folderol wrote:@Marginal Ray
Pretty good :)
I can understand people not wanting to create their own sounds but would definitely recommend looking in KVRs list of patches to complement the presets you get.
Yes, I download every sound I cand find for Zyn.

I have more a (hobby) musician's approach, not intended to build my own instruments or even sounds. This is usually the case in pop / rock: Most of the 80’s musicians have used the Yamaha DX7 by simply selecting presets, as this synthesizer was so difficult to program. However, we cannot say that Michael Jackson, David Bowie or Depeche Mode have the same sound. In the Electro world, I think (and hope) that pros musicians usually make their own sounds. And of course sound designers, or synth programmers like to create their sounds.

I noticed that most of the patches included in Zyn approach acoustic or electric instruments, as do famous concert keyboards (Yamaha Motif, Kurtzweil Pcx3, etc.). This is also the case for most third party sounds, such as Folderol’s bank.

So, I have a wish: some more rock sounds: bass sounding like (or better than!) a Fender Bass guitar. Electric guitars sounding like a Gibson Les Paul plugged on a Marshall Amp to imagine being Jimmy Page or Keith Richard (or a Fender Telecaster plugged on a Fender amp and cab, for Pink Floyd / David Gilmour guitar sound). Of course, these sounds exists in Zyn, but personally, I’m more interested in 20 more rock guitar or bass presets than in 20 supersaw (also useful for other purposes). A few more saxo sounds could also be interesting.

It sounds like an order! No, it’s just a wish.

Merry Christmas.

Raymond

Just got back 'on-grid' after the festivities :)

I can appreciate what you're saying, and in my days of hardware synths that was my approach too. The only reason I started making my own patches was because some on the presets weren't quite what I wanted, so I began to modify them slightly, then push them back into the community (I always acknowledge the originals in the edit comment box).

Then, like any addiction ... :P

Anyway, speaking for myself, I only create patches that I want to use myself, and I suspect it's the same for other addicts sound creators.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

folderol wrote: Anyway, speaking for myself, I only create patches that I want to use myself, and I suspect it's the same for other addicts sound creators.
So I hope some Zyn sound creation junkies love rock’n’roll!

Sorry for the stupid question.... have i right understood that the latest VST version is the one on the first post, and that the VST is not updated to the latest changes of the sources?
Ensoniq SQ1, Korg Wavestation A/D

Parduz wrote:Sorry for the stupid question.... have i right understood that the latest VST version is the one on the first post, and that the VST is not updated to the latest changes of the sources?
The latest packed version (including sources and sound patches) is v496, and yes it's on the first (updated) post. However, the latest compile is here: v499, which fixes some minor bugs associated with that thread. The sources in the package are not compatible with the Linux codebase. I will not update the latest changes to the original codebase (nor vice-versa), but there is hope from very nice people like ishkabibile, fundamental and folderol :wink:

Main stuff that is perhaps still 'new' in the VST:
- the MIDI section which provides for MIDI Learn CCs and Host automation
- amplitude envelopes that go down to -100dB or assignable in config file (in the original, if you put sustain to 0, it's still not quiet enough... but this may break some compatibility. A convertor for patches is included)
- multiple (16) audio outputs to the host
- 4 audio inputs so one can use ZynAddSubFX as an effect to process other sounds (which is something I use a lot, but you probably need a modular host for the routing like EnergyXT, MUX, etc.)

Missing from the VST: notably aftertouch support, i think, the new skins, and other newer overall improvements. Also some interesting mods from ishkabibile :D, and basically anything that is newer than the official Version 2.4.1 Release (Jun 27, 2010)

Cheers!
== VDX == One Man can make a difference!
My music is on https://soundcloud.com/vdxi | Info | More Info

jackoo wrote:I will not update the latest changes to the original codebase (nor vice-versa), but there is hope from very nice people like ishkabibile, fundamental and folderol :wink:
@fundamental is in the midst of a complete overhaul of the linux code - Once he has finished with the heavy lifting, I still plan on at least taking a stab at merging jackoo's VST code back into the linux code. No idea what kind of timeline we are on here, though, so don't hold your breath :ud:
jackoo wrote: Also some interesting mods from ishkabibile :D
Jackoo - were you ever able to get your git hub working? I have been promised that I will be able to go down to half-time on the Osiris-Rex camera electronics this spring, which will hopefully give me a little time to work on my other projects :hyper:

2.4.4 (28 Jun 2014)

Add UI Mousewheel Support
Add Spectral Adjust Parameter Rescaling
Add Subnote filter smoothing
Add Unison derandomization options
Add NSM import/export
Add NTK UI compatiability
(re)Add OSX Support
Enhance performance of ADnote and SUBnote
Enhance Installer
Fix JACK2 specific segfault
Fix possible DSSI specific segfaults
Fix Unison Regressions
Documentation additions
Misc bug fixes
Old news

Version 2.4.3 (Jul 15, 2012)

Non-session manager support
Midi aftertouch support
More sane IO defaults
Misc bug fixes

Version 2.4.2 Release (Feb 26, 2012)

New IO backend suport
MIDI bank select
Spike/Circle waveform
Faster subsynth
--exec-after-init flag
version information compiled in
Misc bug fixes

Why no updates for Win anymore??? :cry: :cry: :cry:
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Long story cut short: because an incremental update is no longer possible (too much has changed in the code, including beautifying the code so that a simple `diff' isn't practical anymore) and a full update (changing the whole code to 2.4.4) would break the MIDI functionality that I put into the VST. This makes any update too time consuming.

Most of the new features are not windows related anyway, and the eye-candy stuff (read as `GUI related`) isn't much of a motivation for me. And I don't have a poly aftertouch MIDI controller to really test that feature.
ishkabbible wrote:
jackoo wrote: Also some interesting mods from ishkabibile :D
Jackoo - were you ever able to get your git hub working? I have been promised that I will be able to go down to half-time on the Osiris-Rex camera electronics this spring, which will hopefully give me a little time to work on my other projects :hyper:
git hub... isn't this one you did enough? :oops: https://github.com/ishkabbible/ZASF
I still have to learn more about philosophical ideas behind it :D Do I simply have to register an account on the site?
== VDX == One Man can make a difference!
My music is on https://soundcloud.com/vdxi | Info | More Info

Return to “ZynAddSubFX”