About Randomness

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been meaning to write about his for months, but I just never found the time. Here goes!

I like random modulations because it can be used to add organic qualities to sounds. Nature has a way of creating random behaviors and patterns but still reign in the randomness enough to keep that randomness within defined parameters. Leaves, snowflakes, mountain ranges, waves are all examples of such randomness. But not of complete randomness, which is typically pure chaos and easily strays unpleasantly from desired patterns.

Within synths, and certainly within u-he synths, random is often defined as random change of speed and depth. Typically these meta parameters control the degree of randomness applied to both. Behind these exposed parameters, there are a number of hidden controls that we don't have access to and prevent optimizing the randomness for specific effects:
  • Lower Speed limit
    Upper Speed limit
    Random speed of new speed selection within window defined above
    Tim lag between movement from current speed to the next chosen depth.
    Lower modulation depth
    Upper modulation depth
    Random selection of new modulation depth within window defined above
    Time lag between movement from current depth to the next chosen depth.
In essence that's what the two current meta controls do in the background, even if some may be constants or share some control with assigned destinations. But having access to these root parameters would allow an unprecedented degree of control.

Then there's the discussion of the waveforms: what if we could also define wavetable-type morphing for LFO waveforms and add appropriate parameters as above to control random changes and choices for that as well. Oh and remember the snowflakes? Bazille already steps through static choices of depth and speed, but combined with LFO wave morphing it would get even more interesting.

This kind of micro control over randomness was introduced in Bazille but with a serious limitation, which is when I started thinking about all this. For me, modulars always seem to inspire "sound machines" that can go on and on creating endless landscapes through the use of controlled and targeted randomness. So I was really surprised and disappointed that all random functions in Bazille only acquired new random value changes on note re-triggering.

There's also other places where this could be applied: targeted random variation in env segments is an obvious candidate too.

I see this kind of thinking applied to all synths: like the efforts made to pin down the pleasing non-linear behaviors of vintage audio processors, I believe this kind of evolution will create a new generation of synthetic sounds that will have more natural qualities and possibly integrate into more smoothly into organic sensibilities.

Thoughts?

Great read. Sounds inspiring :)

I like it. pure randomness is noise - can be interesting - but of course to have forms and structure in that noise might be interesting too!

I am all for control!

Yeah, a good idea

Speaking of noise, I wish more control was given over the noise oscillators in synths. There are so many flavours of noise, including randomly modulated periodic waves, sample and hold with different types of slewing, different statistical distributions and methods of plotting the next value. Yet all we seem to get are the same old white and pink noises.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

I'm with you on that one Sendy. Many times, I've tried sculpting sounds in all sorts of different softsynths, trying to get something I consider musically useful, but it's rare I've been ever very happy with the results.

Also, I like Breeze's idea regarding "randomness" for getting the kinds of errant approximations that emulate what happens with acoustic instruments. You could have it as a modulator, just like any other modulator, which is great for things like panning. I know you can use a random LFO for this too, but a pure random function would be a great tool too.

Sendy wrote:Speaking of noise...
Interesting options and the expansion of any generator's vocab is always welcome, but not really the subject of my OP. But noise itself and how its handled, recorded and manipulated by current technologies is a whole other fascinating discussion. I find it very interesting that the first thing to go awry when time stretching is noise: how can you predict the unpredictable? I suppose this is about randomness too. ;)

It's why time stretching with the currently available algorithms fail with any noise-rich source without some clever analysis and guidance. It's relatively easy to significantly stretch musical material, but pretty much impossible to accurately stretch a complex sound like a wave crashing on a reef. Maybe it's just a question of managing complexity... I'm thinking out loud now. Fascinating stuff!

rockmachine wrote:Also, I like Breeze's idea regarding "randomness" for getting the kinds of errant approximations that emulate what happens with acoustic instruments. You could have it as a modulator, just like any other modulator, which is great for things like panning. I know you can use a random LFO for this too, but a pure random function would be a great tool too.
Actually, this is in fact related to the whole "round robin" sample selection technique used with samples. I've often wondered why this idea couldn't be used in pure synthesis as well. I do think we have to be careful with the idea of "pure randomness" though because it's too easy for variations to stray from musically useful and significant values. There have to be guides and limits but as to how these are implemented and manipulated is still a wide open field.

Sendy wrote:Speaking of noise, I wish more control was given over the noise oscillators in synths. There are so many flavours of noise, including randomly modulated periodic waves, sample and hold with different types of slewing, different statistical distributions and methods of plotting the next value. Yet all we seem to get are the same old white and pink noises.
I am also with you Sendy. I was thinking just the other day that I 'd be curious to test a noise synth, just to see what I would discover from such an experience.

And I also found the original post really interestingm and that summed up many of my thoughts about randomness too.

:) :) :)

Breeze- I think you could control the whole random thing just by having the amount factor, as with any other controlling modulator. In going a little with your round robin idea, you could turn on the phase of an occillator, for intance, and use random as the modulator to get some of that human element. Tera has random as a modulating signal actually and it's too bad Tera is such an undependable softsynth, the issues of which they seem to refuse to adress, or I would probably use it as much as I use all of my U-He stuff.

Return to “u-he”