Decent yet cheap midi controller/keyboards?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Another thing to consider is aftertouch ... I wouldn't buy a controller without it. Then there's poly- aftertouch ;)

The Novation stuff mostly does aftertouch. Not sure about the others. I just remembered I have an old Roland PC-49 in a cupboard. Pretty basic but did the job. Only 1 data entry slider ... might dig it out.

thecontrolcentre wrote:Another thing to consider is aftertouch ... I wouldn't buy a controller without it. Then there's poly- aftertouch ;)
The Novation stuff mostly does aftertouch.
Novation Xio has no aftertouch. :shrug:
Many are not including it anymore citing production cost and trying to push the idea that no one really needs it or wants the extra cost anyway. But it's something I wouldn't buy without it either.
IMO; Korg and Yamaha really screwed up by putting it only on their 'flagship synths'.

rod_zero wrote:If you want to learn to play the keyboard I would say 61 keys is the minimun. For your budget it will be very hard to get a weighted keyboard.

My advice would be to save more and try to catch a cheap digital piano second hand (casio cdp 120 or yamaha P35).
Very much agreed.

I would say, keep your eye on the used market, see what you can find. Look at craigslist, ebay, and music go round to see what pops up. You might be able to find something useable on the cheap.

At the bare minimum, for doing simple chords in the left and some basic melody in the right, or very basic comping, you -might- be able to squeeze by with 49 keys, but for more traditional piano playing, I agree with the 61 keys minimum.

I liked my old Xboard 61 by E-MU, and I liked the feeling of the semi-weighted keys (they had metal weights under the keys) sadly it developed a dead key in the upper octave, so I donated it to goodwill, and upgraded to a Novation Impulse 61-key. Finding something sub-$100 will be a challenge, but if you keep to the used market, you should be able to find something eventually. Aside from the usual craigslist/ebay posts, also look at music go round to see what pops up. You might be able to find something useable on the cheap, and it does look like they have a few 49 to 61-key boards around the $100 to $120 range.
"Whatever you do, make good art." -- Neil Gaiman
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | YouTube | Blackjack Rose | Studio Gear List
Primary Instruments: Roland VR-730, Deepmind 12 | Other Instruments: Nord Lead 2X, Roland JD-Xi

What's music go round?

www.musicgoround.com it's basically a used music equipment store. So people donate, or sell their old equipment to the store, and the store resells/recycles the equipment. It's kind of like a good will for music gear.
"Whatever you do, make good art." -- Neil Gaiman
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | YouTube | Blackjack Rose | Studio Gear List
Primary Instruments: Roland VR-730, Deepmind 12 | Other Instruments: Nord Lead 2X, Roland JD-Xi

Vaylos wrote:http://www.musicgoround.com it's basically a used music equipment store. So people donate, or sell their old equipment to the store, and the store resells/recycles the equipment. It's kind of like a good will for music gear.
Why the hell is shipping $60 on some items? That seems a bit' insane or am I just ignorant of what goes into shipping the equipment safely?

Let me see...I have five keyboards/controllers. I have two Alesis, an M-Audio, an Akai and an old Ensoniq. Obviously, I like Alesis. Alesis has the QX25 which can be had for around $100. It has 25 full-size keys, 4 pads, 8 knobs, pitch wheel, mod wheel, and assorted other goodies. I have the Q25 which doesn't have the pads or knobs, but it works very well.

If you are looking for more keys I have the M-Audio Keystation 49es which you can get from Amazon for $99. It isn't my favorites keyboard, but it works. Fair warning, it is USB only. It doesn't have MIDI out.

If at all possible go to Guitar Center and try out some of their controllers. The feel is very different from one brand to another. Personal taste should really drive your decision as much as possible.

My condition is somewhat unusual. Obviously I need a keyboard or two for my studio. I need one I can travel with, hence the little Akai. Then I needs something I can use when my illness keeps me in bed 90% of the time. Look at what you need, and make your decisions based on that.
This space has been unintentionally left blank.

Korg MicroKey is very good if you don't mind a bit smaller keys. Not weighted but has 61 keys.
Always look on the bright side of life

NightofNi wrote:Korg MicroKey is very good if you don't mind a bit smaller keys. Not weighted but has 61 keys.
I have an Akai with the mini keys, and I find it absolutely worthless for serious music making. It is fine for sound design.
This space has been unintentionally left blank.

So compartively, should I go for a Yamaha, M-Audio or any other specific brand? With 61 keys in mind? I heard that Yamaha's have the best weighed keys and last the longest. My brother has a 76 key Yamaha that he can play pretty good and he swears up and down that it's amazing.

thecontrolcentre wrote:Another thing to consider is aftertouch ... I wouldn't buy a controller without it. Then there's poly- aftertouch ;)

The Novation stuff mostly does aftertouch. Not sure about the others. I just remembered I have an old Roland PC-49 in a cupboard. Pretty basic but did the job. Only 1 data entry slider ... might dig it out.
A used Novation, especially pre SL, is an excellent option. I thought about selling my Remote 61 for something that did poly pressure, and they were getting so little for them on eBay it didn't make sense to even bother. Solid keyboard with lots of nice options.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Katelyn, I futzed around with a number of different controllers - I was looking for the best "feeling" keys at the least amount of dollars . . . as I'm am a really cheap SOB
thecontrolcenter(above) was enormously helpful in leading me to the 1st gen Novation SL-series controllers. 2nd gen of this series is still amazing but missing several simple enhancements that the earlier generations just had in the first place - plus a terrific feeling keybed
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... l&_sacat=0

agree 100% with VD(above) that 61 keys are a minimum to play "piano"
if you're playing just monophonic lines with one hand, 37 keys will work just fine

best of luck & merry christmas
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Okay I think I might have my mind set on something if I can find a way to put a tiny bit more money in, an older m-audio controller with 61 keys/

It seems I can manage to get a new one for 130USD and it has some nice features and 61 keys.... the only downside is that if I want to practice it will need to be hooked up to a computer so I can hear what I'm playing but I don't realistically see why I would take it out of my house.

I also read a bunch of reviews on it including a guy who owned it for 4 years. For that cheap the thing seems worth it.

I also saw a decent price for a 61 key M-Audio Radium, but it seems from what I could tell that it wasn't weighted... which was sad since it had a decent number of bells and whistles.

edit; apparently there is a newer model that came out this year along the same line and with whats supposedly a really good piano vst. might give that a chance too but will be even a bit more >.>
Last edited by Katelyn on Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

I have an Arturia KeyLab 61 here - excellent build quality, plenty of mappable controls, aftertouch, (somewhat) semi-weighted keys, and the Arturia Analog Lab software bundled. GREAT package, especially if you spring for one of the "Producer Packs". KeyLab, Mini V, Analog Lab *AND BitWig Studio (Full Version w/ printed manual).
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook

seem obvious to go for a novation remote 37 key: supposed to be a nice
k/b, and you get all the controllers+automap, and it isn't too big or is
availabl in other sizes. 25 key is really limiting, you want at least 4 oct
really don't you, but 37 looks nice.
(does it hav aftrtouch as well?)

i had a little m-audio briefly and took it back, the controller was
'always-active' and scrwd wth orion midi.

imo get a 2nd hand novation. you can store 40 odd mappings on it,
make your own, etc. you won't get that with the other brands.
nice endless rotaries, and oh look most people hav said the same.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”