Transient Shaper / Designer: You recommendations

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's an interesting topic.. i am very critical of transient designers especially in ADDING attack.. and i still clearly remember the days when the freeware dominion was pretty much all there was, and on windows only. There was also the SPL for creamware pulsar IIRC.

But now, there are an abundance of quality plugins out there.

one stands out from the crowd for me as far as adding transients.. and that's the magix one from none other than the guy who made the original dominion plugin. It's called AM Pulse, is expensive unfortunately, but sounds absolutely brilliant.

I also came across this one the other day and bought it in a special.. i am surprisingly impressed as i simply took a rare punt as the sale was ending.. good crossovers and good sound:

http://audio-assault.com/multi-transient.html

There are many many others that sound great.

NI, SPL (plug in alliance), Eareackon, Sonnox (also sounds great on guitars), heck even the old waves one transx, Schaak, and more, izotope alloy 2 (multiband and very nice sounding), LSRAudio "dynamics Detail"..These are all perfectly good tools.

There are a couple of bad ones to watch out for.. the stillwell one is my personal least favourite.. i find it to actually sound ugly in both removing decay and attack, and adding attack (on drums).

The fxpansion one sounds good on drums, but is useless for anything else (just causes really nasty distortion). Unfortunately in reason i don't have much of a choice, so when i am not in logic, the fxpansion one it is LOL (or the built in kong one but that's very subtle).

Anyway, anything from the list above is just fine.. many many options, as i have missed many also! Cheers

In my opinion none. alot of them peak way beyond the actual waveform and make drums sound "pseudo" punchy.you can dial them in a tiny amount to achieve some degree of peaky-ness for the initial transient but it kind of defeats the point and you may aswell just use an MSEG or volume envelopes to achieve the same thing without the actual increase in amplitude.if i was forced to pick though, probably sonnox transmod or Magix AM-Pulse. which is what i used before i relegated all transient shapers to the useless category :D

TIMT
I

The best ones I've tried are (not in any order): Eareckon's TransReckon, UAD SPL (not the SPL branded one), Dominion and Melda's MTransient. Maybe demo them and see what you think…

Schaack Audio Transient Shaper is my favorite dynamics plugin.
Good transient detection, good sound, good UI, VST2 or 3, x64, Mac or Win, and No dongle or C/R.

I think Transient Shaper must be simple.
If not so, I use Compressor and Gate.
Each DAW has a different sound.

Transector!

+1

My top two are Schaack Audio Transient Shaper, and surprisingly NI Transient Master. Honourable mention for DCAM Envelope Shaper.

It's nice to see so much love for Schaack Audio in this thread; it's my go-to now as well. I'd not heard of it before this summer; I'm so glad I did.
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

SPL Transient Designer or Melda Productions MTransient. SPL's is straight forward and easy to use . Mtransient is similar and has a few extra features at half the cost. Both work well.

I am still oldschool - if I use a transient designer, I tend to either use old MDA's TranShaper, or (my personal favorite) Sleepy Time Records/DSP Transient. Both freeware, and couldn't be any different.

I also loved old Magix's AM|Pulse (you know... Sascha Eversmeier was behind it, so... there you go), and SPL Transient was also all the rage back in the day this kind of "transient tool" really picked up pace.

Should get you started.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

For regular "natural" sounding I still use SPL.
But I am using NI's newish one a lot lately though. It smacks like no other imo....
ImageImageImageImage

I like the NI one best of those I've tried

I am also often using Volume Shaper as a transient designer these days

Cakewalk's TS-64 has been a good quick n' dirty fix for drums, but Sleepy Time's freebie gets more overall use from me.
Music can no longer soothe the worried thoughts of monarchs; it can only tell you when it's time to buy margarine or copulate. -xoxos
Discontinue use if rash or irritation develops.

Return to “Effects”