Now Hive is here, is it RIP Sylenth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2 Sylenth1

valerian_777 wrote:
DJ Warmonger wrote:Watched your video and that's what I got from it.
Trying out the beta makes more sense then watching/hearing compressed videos don't you think?
Hey, if he wants to think that the Hive filters are weird, that is up to him.

Not the word I would use to describe them since they are the standard LP12, LP24, BP, HP filters found on just about every synth... but hey...

There are more distortion modes in Sylenth1 (5?) than in Hive (3?)...

do_androids_dream wrote:I'm referring to the overall sound of both synths. So yes, I'm taking into account filters and probably to some extent the effects etc.
Ah, great - I was just puzzled by your statement in the context of the oscillators :)
Why would anyone want to be a Sylenth killer? It's an awesome synth that fully deserves it's place - still completely functional and useable without having been updated in a long while.
I think it's mostly because people lose confidence in the developer. I've read so many feature wishes that I found viable, yet no-one seems to ever listen to them. There's a lot that can be improved upon in Sylenth. As it doesn't really happen, people wish for alternatives.

I guess many people will be disappointed that Hive doesn't exactly sound like Sylenth. So they can't just swap Sylenth for Hive in their existing Logic projects with Sylenth that don't open anymore. However, that wasn't our goal. We're not taking over the responsibility for a software sold by a different company, and therefore we also don't want to be judged by how well we succeed at that :wink:

I think we've done a good job for a synth of this kind, even for an unfinished one. While there's certainly a lot of overlap with Sylenth, I sure hope "how well does it replace Sylenth" doesn't become the main theme of discussion.
Last edited by Urs on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DJ Warmonger wrote:Watched your video and that's what I got from it.

I think you start to take things personally for no real reason.
Well, the only video we did was 15 seconds crossover of a bunch of dance music styles. There was a lot of Presswerk on it because at the time of its making Hive only had very rudimentary filters.

Thing is, one of the properties of Sylenth is that the forward path in the filters is absolutely clean. This simply is how supersaws sound best. We did that too. Sylenth on the other hand has a setting that distorts the filter input and therefore the forward part. I wasn't fond of how that worked, it's sometimes a bit too subtle. So we also added a filter that screams. So, in reality Hive is pretty much as clean sounding as Sylenth (and due to other factors maybe even cleaner), but it's also a good tad crunchier - should that be desired.

As I think I said somewhere, apart from the technical challenge, Hive is the result of a very deep study of what people want from such a synth. There's a bit of a travesty in that. While many people want an alternative to Sylenth, they also don't want it to be "not Sylenth". We've done a lot of "not Sylenth", and if there's any hype, then it may be due to the realization that this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Tricky-Loops wrote:There are more distortion modes in Sylenth1 (5?) than in Hive (3?)...
Sylenth has bit crushing and sample rate reduction in two separate modes. We've put that into one ("corrode"). Hive therefore needs only 4 :clown:

Rest In Presets.

Oh wait, what do you know....Sylenth1 is 40% off from today until the 26th
Last edited by loungepanda on Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

loungepanda wrote:Rest In Presets.

Oh wait, what would you know....Sylenth1 is 40% off from today until the 26th
Nice price! Have you considered both? :ud:

Urs wrote: I guess many people will be disappointed that Hive doesn't exactly sound like Sylenth. :wink:

I think we've done a good job for a synth of this kind, even for an unfinished one. While there's certainly a lot of overlap with Sylenth, I sure hope "how well does it replace Sylenth" doesn't become the main theme of discussion.

Some of us are actually relieved that it doesn't and except for this thread getting me to revisit their site for comparison, I wouldn't and am glad it doesn't. And that's not a slight on either.

It's funny, I had never even heard of Sylenth before Hive was released.

The main reason for me to not buy Hive is that I've already got Zebra. Owning Zebra is a great cure for any GAS related to synths, unless it is a granular synth like Kaivo. I've even held off on Bazille because of Zebra and my hardware modular synth.

Urs wrote: As I think I said somewhere, apart from the technical challenge, Hive is the result of a very deep study of what people want from such a synth. There's a bit of a travesty in that. While many people want an alternative to Sylenth, they also don't want it to be "not Sylenth". We've done a lot of "not Sylenth", and if there's any hype, then it may be due to the realization that this isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Excellent way of thinking. I really like Hive's idea. It is something different from Zebra, Diva and Bazille. For quick editing sounds, easy to use synth and cpu light, I think it is a winner. It also nice to target the Dance genres with this synth (and I'm not into dance music, well except disco!).

Being a Sylenth Killer or Lover, not sure what that means! Sylenth is a legend synth and I remember very well how people attack it here in KVR (I just watched that time :hihi:), but it proved to be a great synth. I wish the same to Hive as well, and I hope it keeps evolving more and more with time.

I liked the sound of it a lot and it has a different character from Dune 2 and Hybrid 3. I have heard them side by side and really can't say which is my favourite. They are like Toyota, Nissan and Honda! Easy to drive for every day transport (damn! why we are always using the cars metaphor?! :smack: )

Something i dislike in synth like spire or massive or dune when i tried these, maybe even sylenth i don't remember but i never bought it so something bothered me on the sound of this synth too, is that these can sound processed, or not natural sounding in term of tonal balance, i don't know how to explain it, it can be great for some sounds but it's less flexible to me, hive is more linear and then you can do what ever you want with the sound with programing/ processing, it's more flexible than a synth that is dark or with low mid bump ect and sound more NATURAL to me so i need less work on the synth programing to make it sound the way i want as i aim always for the most natural sound, that don't sound equed/ processed.

With some synth i have a really hard time to feel 100 % satisfied with the sound, i use fx eq ect and fight the caractere of the synth..it's not the case with hive it's just feel well suited for me from the few times i used it for now, kind of synth that don't need much work to sound great , like bazille :D
Last edited by Synthetic Wav on Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Analog electronic drum samples (Free demo pack)
http://www.syntheticwav.com

Two presets I made with u-he HIVE Preview and a song that came out of my ass a few hours ago.
All HIVE's effects used apart from reverb. Saturation and reverb is a bit too much. Can be fixed I might replace it with a cleaner version when I have time.

Third Party effects used
Cytomic The Drop, for the filter sweep.
Valhalla Room, reverb
Slate VMR, VCC, VTM, FG-Red
Soundtoys PanMan

2X HIVE Pluck & Supersaw Pad
https://soundcloud.com/l_m_a/kernonite

The only problem I have with Hive is that it makes it so effortless to create typical EDM type music. I must remember to use my powers for good instead of evil! :lol:
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

The more the collective becomes centered in a single idiom, the more I lean to all three options being a non-sequitur for me.
As it is my spouse that has an unused coupon, I will see if I can get her to give it up for someone else to use.
Enjoy.

BBFG# wrote:The more the collective becomes centered in a single idiom, the more I lean to all three options being a non-sequitur for me.
:borg: Resistance is futile. You will be absorbed into the EDM collective. You will become a drone - part of the Hive mind. You will fight it at first but it is only a matter of time before you proudly post your EDM demos that you made with Hive in 5 minutes. :ud:

Return to “Instruments”