Official Serum thread!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

hollo wrote:Really nice Simon, you'v got a new expressive and lovely instrument. :tu:
Thank's József :tu:

Lotuzia wrote:
Greg Houston wrote:....... I for one want to hear what people are doing with Serum, be it commercial or otherwise.
Simple +1.

Out of the numerous soundclips posted about Serum, very few grabbed my ear and interest in a pleasant way, and some of them were made by Simon Stockhausen. I'm certainly a bit limited, but its my opinion that sound and music sometimes speak more than just words in a forum related to musical instruments.fwiw.

i am with you, although i did hear some nice sounds on gearslutz in the serum topic in just one post near the end of the topic..they are the only ones out of absolutely everything i have heard though, that I liked. it does show the product is capable of a "warm" sound but maybe that's not what the other designers are going for. Generally this thing sounds so clinical for me, it just does nothing for my emotions at all :shrug:.

Wavestation by korg, although there is debate whether a wavetable synth or rompler, has an actual nice sound to me. A 20 yo + digital synth. Tons and tons of patches that just sound "nice". Serum seems like it has an extroverted overly harsh sound. I certainly can not see the close to $200 value in it. :shrug:

TheoM wrote:Generally this thing sounds so clinical for me, it just does nothing for my emotions at all :shrug:. … Serum seems like it has an extroverted overly harsh sound. I certainly can not see the close to $200 value in it. :shrug:
De gustibus non est disputandum, as the Romans used to say.

Sound designer aces such as Simon and Hollo are obviously of the opposite opinion.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Spitfire31 wrote:
TheoM wrote:Generally this thing sounds so clinical for me, it just does nothing for my emotions at all :shrug:. … Serum seems like it has an extroverted overly harsh sound. I certainly can not see the close to $200 value in it. :shrug:
De gustibus non est disputandum, as the Romans used to say.

Sound designer aces such as Simon and Hollo are obviously of the opposite opinion.

/Joachim
even though Simon and myself are not friends, i still believe in honesty, and AFTER i wrote that i went to listen to some of his serum demos, and the one on the previous page rather impressed me. I can still here the raw timbre of serum which i am not a huge fan of, but it has it's place, and obviously in the right hands it can sound better than in other hands. So yeah, that was a nice demo.

Guys, finally released a soundset for Serum and another new demo with sound explaining:)
Really interesting to know what you think of that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EfxT57HVTI

ps
dont wanna spam a thread but just want to let trancer's know that they have a special trance set for Serum vst)
VST & Hardware presets, FL Studio templates, samples and MIDI from NatLife & friends -www.natlifesounds.com

Sounds as good as the best hardware VA's. Nice patches, NatLife.

izonin wrote:Sounds as good as the best hardware VA's. Nice patches, NatLife.
thnks mate. All the last years i tried to find a similar sound to most powerfull hardware synth as for me - Roland V-Synth XT, what can i say) - i think Serum sounds very very nearest to this.
Someone said about CPU and Serum crashing...i loaded a 16 synths in this demo+some glitch effects and drum section, and it's loaded on 90-95%. But it's on Laptop Intel Core i5+8gb ram...i think if u have more than a laptop core i5 2450 - u can use free a 10-12 synths + other additional synths or samples.
VST & Hardware presets, FL Studio templates, samples and MIDI from NatLife & friends -www.natlifesounds.com

A long textural processed music box sample in the Noise-Osc, meets a sequenced wavetabled music box in Osc A and a sequenced Sub-Osc:

http://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/c ... abula-rasa

A little Serum ditty to tickle your brain...

Happy Holy Days!

https://soundcloud.com/gregoryhouston/the-luminous-path

Interesting! Reminds me of when I discovered that I could run a 4-track 1/4" tape backward at high speed in my Tandberg if I held the transport joystick in a certain almost-rewind position (unintended by the designer, no doubt).

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Greg Houston wrote:A little Serum ditty to tickle your brain...

Happy Holy Days!

https://soundcloud.com/gregoryhouston/the-luminous-path
Ha, that's great! The phase knob modulated at tiny values yields more than just the mega-glitch :)

NatLife wrote:thnks mate. All the last years i tried to find a similar sound to most powerfull hardware synth as for me - Roland V-Synth XT, what can i say) - i think Serum sounds very very nearest to this.
Interesting. V-Synth can alias like a mofo if you push it too hard. Serum, on the other hand is really clean even if you push it very hard!

No, it's the nature of how V-Synth was programmed. It's simply not as clean as Serum is, it can alias much sooner and much more than Serum, no matter what you do.

Spitfire31 wrote:unintended by the designer, no doubt
The pleasures of doing it wrong! ;)
Sampleconstruct wrote:Ha, that's great!
Thanks, Simon.

Return to “Instruments”