2.5 vs 2.8 i7 MBP worth $400?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm tempted to upgrade my MBP. I know the geek bench scores say the performance difference is about 6% between 2.5/2.8 i7 quad cores but I don't know how it applies to running several cpu-chomping plugins like Diva or Synth Squad. Most of the people inquiring of the processor performance difference are doing offline rendering in Photoshop or Final Cut, etc. I'm wondering about realtime cpu-melting audio performance.

The price difference is $400 on bhphoto. The 2.5 i7 quad-core mbp with 1tb ssd is $400 cheaper than the 2.8 version. I'm currently using a Mid-2012 MBP 2.66 i7 with 8GB ram and a 750gb 7200 rpm drive. Will I actually receive a performance decrease from 2.66 to 2.5? According to geek bench the 2.5 it still faster than my 2.66. I just thought it sounded too good to be true. Is it just because the chip is "newer" and more efficient? Or is it simply because the ssd affects the performance that much?

Can anyone shed any light on this please? Thanks.

-Sam

I dont think youll see any performance benefits attall, its only 300Mhz faster. 6% wont be noticeable. Youre better off using the money for SSD or something else.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”