Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2 Sylenth1

No joy here either.

Sorry fanboys...
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Love the immediacy and set up. But feels to me so similar in sound to Zebra (although pared down), that I'm not sure I'd find a place for it.

The modulation is cool with the dragging, however it's too bad that means the mod target choices were removed from the automation parameters, hence no hardware mapping. It can be nice to have mod targets at the turn of a knob to try out different modulations on different things.

trimph1 wrote:Sorry fanboys...
Barry, I'm surprised. Perhaps you don't understand the implication here, as I wouldn't expect such a dismissive comment from you. Sure, you may not be into this one, but to label those who do like it as fanboys? Maybe I missed something.

Anyway…

I wasn't expecting much from Hive to be honest. I think Urs really did himself a disservice by pigeon-holing it (though that probably wasn't his intention). As much as I like the sound of Sylenth1, invoking that product gave me a certain expectation that Hive wouldn't be for me. I think that the way Hive has been framed may have had that effect on others, like me, as well.

However, once the I tried the beta I was surprised. The one thing that has deterred me from purchasing Sylenth was the meager modulation options, where Hive has the modulation front covered. In fact, I was surprised to find that many of the things I wished I could modulate in Bazille (FX parameters, individual envelope parameters, sequencer rate) can be modulated in Hive!

Say what you will about the hype… it doesn't bother me.

Whether I use it or not, I think Hive is cool. It sounds very good and while it may not have many unique features, I think it may encourage users to try different things. Someone may decide to play with a sound in a way that they wouldn't have tried with another synth (even if the other synth is capable of the same thing). It's just a different tool.

I like the Hive.
I've been making some sounds on it today that sound good to me, when not crackling.
Now if I can just figure out how I can pay for it...I'm totally broke now, guess I'll have to wait.

justin3am wrote:
trimph1 wrote:Sorry fanboys...
Barry, I'm surprised. Perhaps you don't understand the implication here, as I wouldn't expect such a dismissive comment from you. Sure, you may not be into this one, but to label those who do like it as fanboys? Maybe I missed something.

Anyway…

I wasn't expecting much from Hive to be honest. I think Urs really did himself a disservice by pigeon-holing it (though that probably wasn't his intention). As much as I like the sound of Sylenth1, invoking that product gave me a certain expectation that Hive wouldn't be for me. I think that the way Hive has been framed may have had that effect on others, like me, as well.

However, once the I tried the beta I was surprised. The one thing that has deterred me from purchasing Sylenth was the meager modulation options, where Hive has the modulation front covered. In fact, I was surprised to find that many of the things I wished I could modulate in Bazille (FX parameters, individual envelope parameters, sequencer rate) can be modulated in Hive!

Say what you will about the hype… it doesn't bother me.

Whether I use it or not, I think Hive is cool. It sounds very good and while it may not have many unique features, I think it may encourage users to try different things. Someone may decide to play with a sound in a way that they wouldn't have tried with another synth (even if the other synth is capable of the same thing). It's just a different tool.
It was a joke!! Lol!!! :lol:

But it does sound sort of similar to Zebra...from my own side. It just becomes a different tool :)
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Sorry for the misunderstanding! No offense intended. :oops:

hey are there any presets yet in the alpha/beta/whatever current build is. deciding whether to use my $25 voucher on this or diva but someone like me can only tell with patches whether a synth is right for them.

TheoM wrote:hey are there any presets yet in the alpha/beta/whatever current build is. deciding whether to use my $25 voucher on this or diva but someone like me can only tell with patches whether a synth is right for them.
There are only 6 presets in the beta but Xenos and recursive one have shared some good patches.

Xenos http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=427924
recursive one http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=427914

RIP Sylenth? :)
1) "update can be expected in the first months of 2015" - http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4&t=427742
2) Lowest cpu use - dune, spire, and other "sylenth1 killers" use more cpu

Lee702 wrote:
TheoM wrote:hey are there any presets yet in the alpha/beta/whatever current build is. deciding whether to use my $25 voucher on this or diva but someone like me can only tell with patches whether a synth is right for them.
There are only 6 presets in the beta but Xenos and recursive one have shared some good patches.

Xenos http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=427924
recursive one http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=427914

thanks will give it a whirl. :D

The guy who made Hive is saying now that people would be better off using Dune 2. Something about it being deeper and the only thing you need. I'm sticking with Spire, myself. But Hive seems pretty decent even if the developer prefers Dune 2.

TonyVegas wrote:The guy who made Hive is saying now that people would be better off using Dune 2. Something about it being deeper and the only thing you need. I'm sticking with Spire, myself. But Hive seems pretty decent even if the developer prefers Dune 2.

what are you serious? i thought Urs Heckmann made hive? :?

anyway, hive is supposed to have ultra low cpu use, this is why spire wasn't a true replacement for sylenth, but as far as popularity from designers and users, spire is definitely growing at sylenth level, but just too damn hungry to use alot of.

Haven't tried Dune 2 except for the beta once, but can't remember. I am thinking about upgrading during the Xmas special from Dune 1.

Richard is a very cool guy as are the spire ones, but if Hive has as claimed very low cpu then it might be the best replacement for sylenth.

And also of course Urs has actual customer support (unlike lennard) as far as updates and being on modern OS is concerned, and the synth will still be huge in the edm world and preset makers :D

Hahaha, fabulous.
Ryan99 wrote:U-He Hive and Dune 2 or Tone2 Gladiator Expanded and Nemesis?
Urs wrote:If you have Dune 2 and if you learn it thoroughly, you won't need any of the other synths. If you don't want to goo too deep with a synth and if you prefer quick results, Hive and Nemesis might be a cool couple. If you don't want to tweak but you need a gazilion of presets, Gladiator might be your first choice.
TonyVegas wrote:The guy who made Hive is saying now that people would be better off using Dune 2. Something about it being deeper and the only thing you need. I'm sticking with Spire, myself. But Hive seems pretty decent even if the developer prefers Dune 2.
:dog:

I don't think Urs exactly said that he "prefers Dune 2". He did say that, comparing it to all the other synths in the same category, if you already have Dune 2 and are comfortable digging into its depths,then you don't need the others. Dune 2 is definitely deeper than Hive, but I find Hive infinitely faster to work with and sounds great for the type of sounds for which it was intended. I've already bought Hive, and I'm considering picking up Dune 2 while its on sale. If anything, I think a statement like this coming from Urs just reinforces his credibility. He has the confidence in his own product line to honestly acknowledge the good work of his competitors.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Urs - this guy trolls in just about every thread he turns up in. He's been stirring in the serum thread lately. Just ignore him.

Return to “Instruments”