New granular synth: The Mangle

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Mangle

Neon Breath wrote:Of course Mangle DOES timestrectching, it’s pure granular synthesis so it’s obviously doing it. You have to modulate the position parameter with a lfo, simple as that
ok modulate but not like alchemy stretching from 100% to 0%. like i hit a key and the sampleplayback is e.g. 5%? imma post a screen so i must make something wrong :D
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Thanks for the tips people! Any update on when the next update is coming.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Caine123 wrote:
Neon Breath wrote:Of course Mangle DOES timestrectching, it’s pure granular synthesis so it’s obviously doing it. You have to modulate the position parameter with a lfo, simple as that
ok modulate but not like alchemy stretching from 100% to 0%. like i hit a key and the sampleplayback is e.g. 5%? imma post a screen so i must make something wrong :D
Just in case you missed it, the position slider is actually inside the waveform display (along with the volume slider). Both of these can be modulated just like the proper knobs below. You likely want to assign either an envelope or a sawtooth LFO to this. The speed of the stretch will be defined by either the speed of the LFO or length of the attack if you use an envelope. A sawtooth LFO is a great place to start with loops as this can be synced to tempo, so your loop plays perfectly in time with the sequencer. Messing with the grain length (in particular) on top of this can net you all sorts of timbres, from lush to clean to 'bitty'.

cron wrote: Just in case you missed it, the position slider is actually inside the waveform display (along with the volume slider). Both of these can be modulated just like the proper knobs below. You likely want to assign either an envelope or a sawtooth LFO to this. The speed of the stretch will be defined by either the speed of the LFO or length of the attack if you use an envelope. A sawtooth LFO is a great place to start with loops as this can be synced to tempo, so your loop plays perfectly in time with the sequencer. Messing with the grain length (in particular) on top of this can net you all sorts of timbres, from lush to clean to 'bitty'.
There's also the Position tab, just below the Modulation tab. There you can set the loop markers and the speed of the looping. Lots of ways to time stretch in Mangle really.

cron wrote:
Caine123 wrote:
Just in case you missed it, the position slider is actually inside the waveform display (along with the volume slider). Both of these can be modulated just like the proper knobs below. You likely want to assign either an envelope or a sawtooth LFO to this. The speed of the stretch will be defined by either the speed of the LFO or length of the attack if you use an envelope. A sawtooth LFO is a great place to start with loops as this can be synced to tempo, so your loop plays perfectly in time with the sequencer. Messing with the grain length (in particular) on top of this can net you all sorts of timbres, from lush to clean to 'bitty'.
thanks a lot i will try it out asap! i think i didnt have the loopfunction cause i use 0.7b version.

edit: installed the new version and set a loopspace, but how do i let the grains loop there forth and back or continuously host synced?

DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

hey maybe fast preset params buttons would be awesome i figured out i do basically same thing, if i want do pads i do one routine, some drum glich another and so on, i would love to see some midi mappable shortcut buttons.
"exapmple"
i want make warm pad sound, BOOM preset1, have sample for outer space noises? let it be preset button 2, another thing that will make me supermus1k tek pro ganja trekker button 3, and so on and on :borg:

how is the support? i messaged a mail to the dev about 10 days ago, no reply..... i still struggle with the looping

Caine123 wrote:how is the support? i messaged a mail to the dev about 10 days ago, no reply..... i still struggle with the looping
Bad and inconsistent, unfortunately.

The dev pops or replies from time to time, then re-disappears. Don’t count on it too much.

check his website blog, there something is about how is support :wink:
i thing no big struggle, better learn thing or two about it, update will come when its ready i guess

Caine123 wrote:
cron wrote:
Caine123 wrote:
thanks a lot i will try it out asap! i think i didnt have the loopfunction cause i use 0.7b version.

edit: installed the new version and set a loopspace, but how do i let the grains loop there forth and back or continuously host synced?

I actually don't know how to do it with the dedicated loop function because I haven't really used it much since that was added, but here's how I used to do it using old fashioned modulation. Skip to 7:10 in the following video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsAx6s5sXQ4

You'll notice that, at 7:10, the user drags the Rnd 1 button on to the Position slider inside the waveform display, at which point another slider opens where he can select the amount of modulation applied. You want to be doing the exact same thing except you're dragging one of the LFO buttons on to the position slider instead of Rnd 1. The LFO shape you choose will determine the kind of loop you get. Triangle will get you a ping-pong loop, sawtooth will get you a forward or backward loop (depending on which direction you set the modulation), etc...

This synth looks amazing, been searching for a good staple windows granular for awhile. I think i might wait on the version 1 release before buying it though because i am not sure about support, since version 1 was expected/rumored to be out by now. Are there free updates after purchasing? How does that work? Thank you for making this synth, excited to try it

Just picked this up about 20 minutes ago and all I can say is OMG.

If you've done granular synthesis before, the interface is very intuitive. I love the way it's laid out. Mapping is always a pain the ass if you really want to dive deeply into this thing or any granular synth, but it's worth the time spent. You don't even need really great samples to make some very interesting sounds. Almost anything will do.

Might be my best 20 pound investment of the New Year.

** EDIT ** Been playing with this thing a good part of the day. Have discovered that just about any recorded sound source can be used. I took some of my electronic tracks (complete tracks) and imported some MP3s in and went to work. I can't even recognize my own songs after putting them through this thing. The modulation capabilities are very impressive. Much easier to use than any of the Reaktor granular modules I've tried and much more powerful.

I don't impress easily but this thing is flat out addicting. Between this and Cycle, my year may very well be booked.

Man you about sold me, but still I wonder when version one comes out? I am assuming this comes with free updates with purchase. Cool I didn't know about cycle, looks very good. How does it compare to Iris?

gsirvine wrote:Man you about sold me, but still I wonder when version one comes out? I am assuming this comes with free updates with purchase. Cool I didn't know about cycle, looks very good. How does it compare to Iris?
Impossible to compare. Iris is spectral filtering/masking, and Mangle is pure granular synthesis. Totally different on all aspects.

I was referring to cycle that was mentioned before my last post, it is spectral also.

Return to “Instruments”