Unsatisfied with Trilian for synth basses - is Diva the best?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diva

Monark is freaking amazing for bass. Pure electricity. Diva as well, though it can't go into the super-hard territory that Monark can at the moment. In balance, though, Diva's soundworld is overall a lot bigger than Monark's, but that's beside the point. The only choice for me is having both.

Razor, which has been mentioned already, is also an amazing tool for interesting bass sounds, thanks to it's "safe bass" feature. Due to the additive nature of it's engine, you can guarantee that the lowest partials within a certain settable range, remain at a constant amplitude, despite whatever modulation you have going on in the sound as a whole. This means a constant, rounded, powerful bass sound without lots of fiddly processing. It can need "warming up" a bit sometimes, though.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

MarlaPodolski wrote:Yes, with that mod Monark is every bit as hungry as Diva can be, which I find sort of interesting.
As ghettosynth said earlier in this thread, "These synths are better because the underlying technology is better." Frankly, Scope synths have sounded like amazing analog synths for over a decade and a big part of that is due to their cards having lots of dedicated processors to run them on.

Some "goto" synths for bass are:

V Station - novation
Very clean, warm and fat basses.

Monark - NI
Well its very much like the Mini-Moog, one of the greats for bass of all time.

Korg PolySix - Another old school classic, the build in effects and filters just add up to great bass.
The legacy version works great for bass.

Uncle E wrote:
MarlaPodolski wrote:Yes, with that mod Monark is every bit as hungry as Diva can be, which I find sort of interesting.
As ghettosynth said earlier in this thread, "These synths are better because the underlying technology is better." Frankly, Scope synths have sounded like amazing analog synths for over a decade and a big part of that is due to their cards having lots of dedicated processors to run them on.
And from that perspective we can be thankful that devs are pushing the boundaries, to an extent, of what the hardware can do. Given the rate of change of hardware evolution, that's a good thing to be on that edge, and even a bit ahead of the curve, not a bad thing.
You need to limit that rez, bro.

btw, in case anyone missed it, you have a chance to win DIVA in the KVR Mix Challenge:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=417225

DUNE 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

great topic, i know i am late to the party, but I also struggle with finding adequate synth bass.. So many synths to this day still lack any cajones in the nether regions.

Diva is pretty darn good in this regard.

Uncle E, just a contrasting opinion re analog and tek.. i love writing trance, and i think analog is fabulous for it.. if one is into writing melodic trance, the warmth you can get from diva's (or other analog) sound just enhances the melodies ten fold. Listen to the arksun bank demos for some amazing examples.

Another one i like for bass, was unexpected. Kilohertz KHZ one. Really punchy bass, IMO! I usually find I use this for my off beat trance bass, and now i also have it in reason, so it's easy to translate projects.

Also an oldie but still pretty good, ultra analog.

Also the synth squad stuff is not everyone's cup of tea, but it has a fat bottom end. The reason version, the mono Tres, is just not the same.. even for just bass... don't know why.

Haven't tried dune 2 yet, don't like sylenth much for bass, trying to work out whether i will buy diva or hive with my u-he discount. Only a few days to decide!

Lotuzia is also right, oxium has a good bottom end. The problem with oxium is, i had to sell it as i could honestly not run it on my machine. It's seriously cpu hungry. Diva is too of course, but the multi switch solves all problems for a couple of instances of it which is all i imagine i will need. (crackles also driving me crazy LOL.. Urs, note... think of making at least 10 minutes before crackles for future demos if you would be so kind).

I find lush terribly weak in the bottom end area.

Had trilian, sold it, have never tried monark, but all i read are rave reviews.. The only arturia i like for bass is one of their oldest ever, the 2600.

Ok that's my 2c.

Happy holidays ALL.! :hug:

Just find a random trillian patch and make the envelopes to your taste for the snappy dance basses. But generally there might be a better play to start than trillian. The usual dance vsti culprits, just do the same with the envelopes..
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

TheoM wrote:great topic, i know i am late to the party, but I also struggle with finding adequate synth bass.. So many synths to this day still lack any cajones in the nether regions.
How did you end up liking Poly-Ana in this regard?

Z3ta is still my go to for ultra lows. what is it like 49 bux right now?!

On other hand, YMMV, so whatever :tu:

digitalboytn wrote:Well - there's always arranging 101....

Layering things together can often create the best sounds and give your work something unique...
Layering 101 Chapter 1: Layering bass sounds almost always sounds bad and typically creates a smaller sound. Doubling certain notes or sections of an electric bass line with a synth bass part can sometimes work well. But that's usually appropriate only for particular styles of music like funk.
Matrix-1000, MicroWave with Access programmer, MicroWave II, MKS-50 with MidiClub programmer, MKS-70, MKS-80 with Kiwi Patch Editor, Nord 2 Rack, Nord 3 Rack, Prophet REV2 module, Pulse 2, Shruthi, Virus TI

andrelafosse wrote:
TheoM wrote:great topic, i know i am late to the party, but I also struggle with finding adequate synth bass.. So many synths to this day still lack any cajones in the nether regions.
How did you end up liking Poly-Ana in this regard?

was definitely at the top of the heap but i decided against it for other reasons.

When I started programming patches for Ragnarök, it instantly became my goto synth for bases, besides the searing analog sounding leads it can do for obvious reasons :D

Ragnarök Mark-2 will be even more a 'goto synth' for certain sounds ;)
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Some great bass synths:
Diva, Monark, poly-Ana, massive, polysix, corona.

I love the trilian sound sources used in omnisphere though as much as anything.

Return to “Instruments”