Now Hive is here, is it RIP Sylenth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2 Sylenth1

EnGee wrote:I don't want someone to work for free 8 years for me! it is not fair, but I also can't pay in advance for possible free upgrades!
One only needs to charge for upgrades if there's no market for new customers. As we don't do sales, we don't force the market to saturate. Even our oldest product still sells better every year.

You don't need to pay for anything in advance. It's the people who buy after you who keep the upgrade price low.

The opposite kind of marketing is the one that sells cheap and milks you later. I don't like it.

xamido wrote:
For me the envelope of Sylenth is its key feature, but Hive's envelope is not as snappy unfortunately. And the reverb, i much prefer Sylenth version.
Which envelope in Sylenth? The Amp envelopes have a different shape than the Mod envelopes.

Furthermore, which engine in Hive do you compare them too? They're different...

Urs wrote:
The opposite kind of marketing is the one that sells cheap and milks you later. I don't like it.
You have a point here and of course you know better about this specific market. Well, good luck :)

ATS wrote:fail troll op

U-he most overrated stuff on KVR
I dunno, your post seems like exactly the sort of post i was trying to provoke. :D

Urs wrote:
xamido wrote:
For me the envelope of Sylenth is its key feature, but Hive's envelope is not as snappy unfortunately. And the reverb, i much prefer Sylenth version.
Which envelope in Sylenth? The Amp envelopes have a different shape than the Mod envelopes.

Furthermore, which engine in Hive do you compare them too? They're different...
For me i've always liked the mod envelope on sylenth, especially for pluck. I just don't get that kind of pluck with Hive.

For the engine, i think dirty mode sound the closest to Sylenth. I prefer it than other mode. I'm still demoing Hive of course. It's impressive but funnily enough i kinda wanna get Zebra again instead, the more i demo Hive.
musisikamar.com

i like more the clean and normal mode personaly, from the few sounds i patched here my findings, clean was the most lush sounding , normal is the thickiest mode..also once you programed a sound you just can't change the engine on the fly ,you need to reprogram/adjust the patch as the sound can change quite a lot. so for me right now it feel like it matter to get first a goood idea of each engine sound and then choose one depending the sound after and then program it... btw it's really a great feature to have ! amazing idea to have different engine like this.
Analog electronic drum samples (Free demo pack)
http://www.syntheticwav.com

Sylenth is almost ingenious, the whole package. It has everything one expects from a good "analog" synth, but not much beyond that. So competition to Sylenth either has to be something differently ingenious at the same level or a "copy" of Sylenth, which is a bit embarrassing.

Although its interface is small, it is positively unsymmetrical and uses different colors, which makes it easy to remember where each section and control is even if one can hardly read the labels.

I guess I will buy it after all, after three demo runs over the past two years :) Previously I thought there must be much better stuff out there, so I uninstalled the demo repeatedly. But now that I have demoed all good synths under the sun, it turns out Sylenth is the best package for me, the best compromise.

about sylenth, i feel like sylenth was out just at the right time and it's the reason for his sucsess, the sound ad the many banks too..but not the simplicty of the architecture.. a synth like massive is as popular as sylenth but way more complex for example , same for the virus.

I assume many actual musicians don't want and need unnecessary complexity :wink:

obviously...

Synthetic Wav wrote:about sylenth, i feel like sylenth was out just at the right time and it's the reason for his sucsess, the sound ad the many banks too..but not the simplicty of the architecture.. a synth like massive is as popular as sylenth but way more complex for example , same for the virus.
Virus is not that complex though. Especially on the earlier version that make the Virus sound mainstream. Only on TI version did they expand and added many new features.
musisikamar.com

Anyone wanting more that's in HIVE you can use ZEBRA. Not as good at supersaw but I bet Urs will add some HIVE based modules to it. Hive is not finished yet part of the HIVE preview is to give Urs feedback.
Don't expect Urs to veer of course from what HIVE is all about which is Sylenth inspired sound and workflow, few modules excelling in supersaw.

fluffy_little_something wrote:I assume many actual musicians don't want and need unnecessary complexity :wink:

Then they can use romplers or choose their synth according to presets but still benefit from more complexe synth as it offer more different sound ..macro Make it simple.
Look at massive or sérum , it really show simple design have nothing to do with suceess of a synth. It s about design , interface and how easy thé synth lead to good sound ..and this is about carefull design betwenn faders and knobs range ect. A exemple of this is with neutral digi EQ ..many sound almost identical but lead to différent sound juste cause of thé interface , it s a bit the same with a well designed synth Will lead to better sound cause of carefull knobs range , interface ect even if thé part of thé synth are average souding people will Make more usable sound out of it than a better synth that is not well toughtout

Who knows if Serum is successful, it is a new synth if I am not mistaken, too early to tell.
And Massive? There are lots of third-party presets around, including 37 free soundsets on KVR alone, i.e. people can use it without really getting into programming sounds, except maybe tweaking simpler parameters such as cutoff. People did the same with the DX7, few knew how to program it, but everyone used it.

I've played with Hive a little. To be honest, I'm not being wowed, and it definitely won't replace Sylenth. Some cool sounds can be had with it, but since I already have ACE, DIVA and Zebra (which are spectacular in their own rights), I'm not really missing out on that u-he vibe.

I was way more excited about ACE at this stage of playing with it. Special filters, cool sync and crossmod, patching, using LFOs as audio rate modulators. I love ACE. But back to Sylenth, I'd take it over Hive. Sorry. Cool GUI though.

Return to “Instruments”