Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2 Sylenth1

hakey wrote:RIP Sylenth? Not unless Hive can do this:

ARP 303 Saw

:?:
then let's create it in HIVE :P
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Hive will probably do well and may sell better than Sylenth1 from 2015 but I don't see it getting close to the S1 userbase anytime soon.
I sold my Sylenth1 recently and prefer other options than Hive as a replacement, Hybrid 3 as part of AIEP being top of the list and maybe Dune 2, Spire or the upcoming Zebra 3 or whatever comes next.

ARP 303 Saw

it needs this "thank you for running this demo" sound! Without this it's not Sylenth :hihi:

Sometimes it would be nice if it were possible to take the best parts from any synths and build them into one :hihi: Neither Hive's nor Sylenth's eq for instance is as effective and efficient as Element's, would be cool to have that on Sylenth.

Caine123 wrote:

ARP 303 Saw

I honestly don't think Hive has that kind of filter sound in it yet. Though, admittedly, I haven't played with it much, yet..
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sometimes it would be nice if it were possible to take the best parts from any synths and build them into one :hihi: Neither Hive's nor Sylenth's eq for instance is as effective and efficient as Element's, would be cool to have that on Sylenth.
maybe somebody could debug all those synths and steal their code (the best parts from every synth) and combine it to one MEGASYNTH! Maybe we can raise some money with crowdfunding for this noble albeit laborious effort?
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

The person who said he likes to work with a new synth - new GUI - because he finds it sparks his creativity makes an interesting point. I was watching a Trent Reznor interview recently where he said almost the same thing. I have Hive and Sylenth and haven't bothered to compare them.... I feel they are similar in some ways but who knows how Hive is going to develop in the next few months... I'm sure the guys at U-He are following with interest the comments being made here and making notes for implementing some of the great ideas being suggested. This in itself will make Hive different from Sylenth at some point, Sylenth being very much a take it as it is cos it aint gonna change product... not to say that's a bad thing, after all it's still an amazing synth.
I'm looking forward to the final release version of Hive and very curious about what kind of presets are going to be included.
In the meantime it's fun to have a new toy that inspires creativity.

kelvyn wrote:Sylenth being very much a take it as it is cos it aint gonna change product... not to say that's a bad thing, after all it's still an amazing synth.
Has it ever been updated since it was released? If so, when was the last update?
Are there still bugs in it? (I am interested in the Windows version.)

Sendy wrote:
Caine123 wrote:

ARP 303 Saw

I honestly don't think Hive has that kind of filter sound in it yet. Though, admittedly, I haven't played with it much, yet..
Actually, that was one of my concerns with it. I just couldn't find a filter which suits my needs, in none of the 3 engine types. I also found the envelopes to be too soft, which has already been brought up here too.

I am also on the boat of thinking there's a difference in envelope curve that yields different results in short plucky sounds. Not worse... Just different.

Are MSEGs completely out of the picture? Even if they were tabbed away, I think it would definitely 1up sylenth. Dune2 has awesome MSEGs which make up for the "not-so-punchy" ADSRs when I need it (not always). It's also tucked away nicely so unless you use it, it's completely out of the way.

Fwiw, Hive sounds more polished in my ears - more detail in the higher end. Sylenth has it's signature sound but at this point, I would only use it for those supersaw plucks sounds that it just does so well... In my opinion, of course.

Great synth Urs, it's definitely going to be the new go-to synth for many many people :D

Ps. I also think the GUI could be more space efficient but it's hardly a problem at all... Just a thought!

I have both gui's in front of me, and despite being small Sylenth is actually more ergonomic in my view. Contrast, colors etc. are better for the eye, and friendlier. Hive is very dark, looks like some gloomy space game :hihi: the labels are too small for the gui size. Sure, I can increase the size of Hive even further, but then it seems to affect my graphics chip somehow as everything is being slowed down, for instance when moving other gui's around in my DAW window.

Anyone here replaced Sylenth with Hive and wants to sell the former? 8)

Caine123 wrote:

ARP 303 Saw

Urs wrote:
recursive one wrote:- Sylenth patches don't tranlate well. Complete different envelopes behaviour. I'm unable to get this squielchy resonant spitting sound like the infamous arp 303 saw preset, maybe I should try harder.
The envelopes are not at fault here. I was genuinely surprised how well they match in the "Normal" mode (not sure if you've seen the discussion but I liked how Sylenth's envelopes fade in and are a bit more bulky than exponential ones). Up to about 50% you won't hear much of a difference. Above that Sylenth's envelopes become excpetionally long, more so than any synth I know. I kept ours within lengths that I find more reasonable.

The squelchyness of the 303 preset is in part owed to the reduced gain by resonance of Sylenth's filters. The patch puts velocity and an envelope onto the resonance, thereby attenuating filter volume. The resonance itself is a bit all over the place, which you can't match. It bursts out here and there, usually in frequencies that I consider unpleasant. I preferred Hive to have a more solid and controlled behavior.

I would say, Sylenth sounds more "acidic" while Hive has more "oomph" for that kind of sound.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

fluffy_little_something wrote:Anyone here replaced Sylenth with Hive and wants to sell the former? 8)
OK, forget it, just bought it from their site, for 100 euros during the sale :)
The only xmas present I received this year was from myself, cool 8) :hihi:

rjames25 wrote:I am also on the boat of thinking there's a difference in envelope curve that yields different results in short plucky sounds. Not worse... Just different.
You can change the Envelop Curve in Hive in the Mod Matrix... In fact, you can do it individually per stage (attack or decay or release).

You can create all sorts of different pluck sounds this way. Hive is especially versatile for plucks.

Return to “Instruments”