Hideaway Studios Excellence!

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

HideawayStudio wrote:
Gosh wrote:
HideawayStudio wrote:
it seems that Klaus treated it well. it looks so shiny and new as if it came directly from the shop. fantastic!!
errr... if you saw how the instrument came in you'd hardly recognize it. A very gifted cabinet maker re-veneered the cabinet with hand cut hard wood veneers. After stripping the keyboard console cabinet down to bare plywood we found a huge crack running down the inside of entire right hand side of the keyboard end cap where it had clearly been dropped at some point in its life. The whole cabinet was bent like a banana and very much showing signs of a hard life on tour.

It was actually a pretty tough decision whether to cosmetically strip it all down but it was decided it was simply too far gone to be acceptable for most especially considering its rarity. All in all I think it has turned out beautifully.

On the electronics front over 120 hours of restoration work went into each of the two instruments including replacing over 200 capacitors.
ooops, so it's even more surprising how beautiful and new the instrument looks now, fantastic work on the restoration then. i'm really looking forward to seeing how all your projects turn out in the end. btw did i mention that i have and love all your soundsets? keep up the great work :tu:

What can the Crumar GDS be compared with?

Is it like a Fairlight CMI type of instrument?

Numanoid wrote:What can the Crumar GDS be compared with?
Is it like a Fairlight CMI type of instrument?
Not so much a comparison, but I seem to remember W. Carlos using the Crumar for the first Tron movie (ICBW).

Back in the 80's we got one the DK Synergy boards in on a trade (The previous owners only complaint was about those 'damned cartridges'). Absolutely a beautiful instrument for its time. Loved playing it.
Anyway, after listening to the demos, I'm probably purchasing this set very soon. (I have to time my downloads with the purchases). Really great demos though. :clap:

Did it come with a monitor? I remember something about a KS live show where it mentions the green of a fairlight compared to the pale blue light of a GDS - it was a review of a Digit era concert I think.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

ChamomileShark wrote:Did it come with a monitor? I remember something about a KS live show where it mentions the green of a fairlight compared to the pale blue light of a GDS - it was a review of a Digit era concert I think.
Yes indeed...

Restoring the original 1979 ADDS Regent 20 serial terminal was one of the most tricky aspects of the two GDS restorations. Several things were wrong with it such as missing components, several non functional keys due to a past spillage and sadly even the neck of the original CRT picture tube (complete with the performance editor severely burnt into it!!) was smashed and so I had to source an equivalent replacement which turned out to have slightly different characteristics and so the circuit driving it had to be rebiased to suit.

The KS terminal really was beyond economical repair but I was so determined to return the original beast to life that it didn't really matter and after much time and effort she was eventually returned to the land of the living.
Home of Novachord #346...

Looking forward to the library coming out. No doubt I'll also pick up the Synergy library too.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

HideawayStudio wrote:
ChamomileShark wrote:Did it come with a monitor? I remember something about a KS live show where it mentions the green of a fairlight compared to the pale blue light of a GDS - it was a review of a Digit era concert I think.
Yes indeed...

Restoring the original 1979 ADDS Regent 20 serial terminal was one of the most tricky aspects of the two GDS restorations. Several things were wrong with it such as missing components, several non functional keys due to a past spillage and sadly even the neck of the original CRT picture tube (complete with the performance editor severely burnt into it!!) was smashed and so I had to source an equivalent replacement which turned out to have slightly different characteristics and so the circuit driving it had to be rebiased to suit.

The KS terminal really was beyond economical repair but I was so determined to return the original beast to life that it didn't really matter and after much time and effort she was eventually returned to the land of the living.
The 70's produced computer kit that had great aesthetics-It looks like the monitor should talk in a sexy female computer voice like in sci-fi movies.
Dan, is the GDS derived from this synth in the YT video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NChqEEz31eE

I'm seeing the layout of those sliders on the Crumar and the layout of the sliders on this silver beast - Similar synth technology?
Synth Magic synths for Konatkt - ARP Quadra, Polymoog and many more. www.synthmagic.co.uk

synthmagic wrote:I'm seeing the layout of those sliders on the Crumar and the layout of the sliders on this silver beast - Similar synth technology?
Yes, the Bell Labs "Alles Machine", or Blue Monster as they liked to refer to it, was indeed designed by Hal Alles and his team in the mid/late 70s. The Alles Machine, Crumar GDS and DK Synergy are very closely related with the same digital oscillator concept developed by Hal. The Alles Machine was hosted by a very large PDP-11 minicomputer running UNIX and I'm told was the worlds first time a machine booted UNIX from a single floppy disk! (how things have changed!!)

I believe the front panel encoders work in a very similar way on all three instruments too and were based on a design by a team member at BTL.

Hal Alles and Max Mathews at BTL joined forces with Mercer "Stoney" Stockwell and his team at Crumar/MTI/DK to produce the GDS and subsequently the Synergy. The biggest challenge was turning a $100,000 hand built prototype into a mass produced instrument with a materials budget a fraction of the size. Amazingly the team were able to do just that.

I have been extremely fortunate to be able to exchange many kind words with Hal, Mercer, Laurie, Wendy and several other original team members regarding all three of these instruments over the past few weeks.

Richard James kindly sent me a picture recently taken by a friend of his of The Bell Labs Synthesizer aka Alles Machine aka The Blue Monster as it stands now.

Sadly it doesn't appear to be complete internally (I like the blue wire trying to escape from under the computer keyboard!) but still its nice to see the controls much closer up...

A quick note on how pleased I am with the Synergy set!
Looking forward to your next set's release now!

Fantastic blog! Only just discovered but very interesting and top notch work by the looks. Looking forward to picking some of the sound sets!

Both restored GDS are soon going back to their owners (Brian Kehew and a soon to be new owner producer/composer well known in EM/film score circles)..

So all three surviving instruments will soon be residing in the US...

In fact one issue has been the huge 8" floppy drives in the KS GDS had had to be modified with replacement pulley spindles and belts as their large spindle motors run directly on the 120/240 volt mains and will turn at the wrong speed in the US due to the 60Hz mains frequency. It's been a bit of a nightmare even sorting this seemingly simple task out because when the pulley sizes are changed the belt has to change too as they don't stretch.

It will be very sad to see them go but definitely nice to get a big chunk of space back in the synth workshop!

..just as well as several more vintage beasts having come in for overhaul.

Just to reassure all that I'm well underway preparing a very large sample set for a major new release based on a wonderful beast of a polyphonic analog I restored last year...

1149 raw samples have been taken from the original 5.5 hour long sample session are now topped and tailed and loaded up into multis ready for auditioning prior to looping. The first few hundred samples have spun up very nicely and I'm quite excited about this one - doubly so as I now am happy to announce that going forward I now have the services of an excellent graphic artist to hand who has done a great job in capturing the original look and feel of Steve's GUIs.

It will be several weeks yet but now making good progress.

HideawayStudio wrote:I now have the services of an excellent graphic artist to hand who has done a great job in capturing the original look and feel of Steve's GUIs.
What a delightful piece of news, Dan. I can't wait to see what's in store for us.

standing by! ;]

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”