ARP ODYSSEY IS COMING!

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://www.arpsynth.com/en/

not exactly groundbreaking news but a taster
live 11 / Arturia collection / many Softube plug ins / thats it

I was all excited when Korg first announced that they were doing any Odyssey remake. But now that I have Oddity 2 and it sounds so great and has all these features not found in a real Odyssey, I've completely lost interest in either a Korg or Behringer version, regardless of the price.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:I was all excited when Korg first announced that they were doing any Odyssey remake. But now that I have Oddity 2 and it sounds so great and has all these features not found in a real Odyssey, I've completely lost interest in either a Korg or Behringer version, regardless of the price.
+1

Oddity 2 sounds Awesome, and is Polyphonic :wink:

Will it be another "revival" that lacks the sound quality and character of the original, and yet claimed to be "the same"? We'll hear. At least in this case they have models with 3 different filters to choose from. Did they choose the obviously most desirable one? (the first 4-pole version)? Maybe they chose the "original", 2-pole model, so that they could more easily "match" it. And maybe (most likely, I think) they made a filter with switchable 2-pole and 4-pole modes, which doesn't really sound anything like either of the 3. Not to mention the whole signal path of the synth will be totally different, without whatever "quirks" that affect everything including the oscillator waveforms, envelopes, filter responses, amplification. But why am I speculating? It will certainly be "good enough", even if it really doesn't have the most important feature people actually like the original for.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

If it's around the same price with MS20 mini i'll be getting it. A lot of people in my country buy the MS20 because of the hype and ends up regretting it because they don't know how to use it. They have been selling it 2nd hand for only 200$. I hope others also caught the hype and but the ARP so that i can get it cheap 2nd hand from them.

:P
musisikamar.com

xamido wrote:A lot of people in my country buy the MS20 because of the hype and ends up regretting it because they don't know how to use it. They have been selling it 2nd hand for only 200$
What the f**k? I'd get one for $200, even though I don't really need it. I recently bought an oscillator that costs more than that.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

Shy wrote:
xamido wrote:A lot of people in my country buy the MS20 because of the hype and ends up regretting it because they don't know how to use it. They have been selling it 2nd hand for only 200$
What the f**k? I'd get one for $200, even though I don't really need it. I recently bought an oscillator that costs more than that.
Yup, i've seen people selling it for 700 Malaysian Ringgit, which is around 200$. Too bad i don't like the small keys, or i would have buy it for that price. :party:
musisikamar.com

I had the old white face with 12 dB filter and liked it fine. As far as I recall liked the sound better than the later models with 24 dB filters. At that time 24 dB filters were considered "better" in general due to the lemming effect, and arp probably had trouble with new sales with "only" the 12 dB filter. But the original had a smooth feminine tone that was unique compared to more aggressive synths of the time.

deastman wrote:I was all excited when Korg first announced that they were doing any Odyssey remake. But now that I have Oddity 2 and it sounds so great and has all these features not found in a real Odyssey, I've completely lost interest in either a Korg or Behringer version, regardless of the price.
+1 Sounds about right

The new Korg/Behringer Odyssey could be the most expensive door step anyone buys :lol:

JCJR wrote:... the original had a smooth feminine tone that was unique compared to more aggressive synths of the time.
I never managed in 25 years to describe its sound as accurately as you just did there... Smooth feminine. Spot on.
It's not what you use, it's how you use it...

dunno but it would be nice if they supplied these re-issues in a
format whre you can remove the keyboard easily and rack them
- i mean, so you can plug the k/b back in again if +when -
the aesthetic of a shallow wall of analogue appeals to me, at
least in theory.

what are people's feeling about k/b vs rack in this context?
(then you can really get with the analogue overkill)

i was thinking abt doing that to the ms10 before i sold it many
years ago - a decision i regret of course, even then i was
conscious of its single osc purity and power.(but i made a 3x
profit, so... :-/ )

mztk wrote:dunno but it would be nice if they supplied these re-issues in a
least in theory.

i was thinking abt doing that to the ms10 before i sold it many
years ago - a decision i regret of course, even then i was
conscious of its single osc purity and power.(but i made a 3x
profit, so... :-/ )
It would make more sense to sell a second, more compact version designed for rack mounting.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

mztk wrote:dunno but it would be nice if they supplied these re-issues in a
least in theory.

Right on.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

yeah you want that wall to wall analogue décor.
my moog rogue is getting this treatment as soon
as i get up the courage. and it deserves to stay,
because you obviously don't get quality dirt in
the new ones.

I've already saved my pennies for this, as it's the one synthesizer I've always wanted. My concerns is over build quality - especially the sliders, as they will make-or-break it IMO.

If there is a full-size kit I will be buying.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”