Compiler-Latest (W7-8)?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Very few of the existing programmers have specialized in the area. Many have taken a range of courses, but only as a supplementary to expand existing skills.

The vast majority of the practical skills are self-taught over a long process of time. At least ten years.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

aciddose wrote:Very few of the existing programmers have specialized in the area. Many have taken a range of courses, but only as a supplementary to expand existing skills.

The vast majority of the practical skills are self-taught over a long process of time. At least ten years.
10 year!?!? :o :dog: :help: I'll be 58!! :hihi: I better be quick ! AND no dating, til then :cry:
ah well :D

Well, it should only take you a couple years to pick up the general c++ / compilers / IDEs and so on assuming no previous experience.

...yes though, to really absorb everything and get on track to finishing large, complicated projects without bugs should take between five to ten years of real hard focus. The more talented you are and the more you focus, the shorter period of time you might need to invest.

To get the basics down and have a simple phaser VST plugin going should only take you a couple weeks with the right help. You should certainly find that both online in general and here in the KVR dsp / plugin development forum.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.

aciddose wrote:Well, it should only take you a couple years to pick up the general c++ / compilers / IDEs and so on assuming no previous experience.

...yes though, to really absorb everything and get on track to finishing large, complicated projects without bugs should take between five to ten years of real hard focus. The more talented you are and the more you focus, the shorter period of time you might need to invest.

To get the basics down and have a simple phaser VST plugin going should only take you a couple weeks with the right help. You should certainly find that both online in general and here in the KVR dsp / plugin development forum.
Ah, I get the idea. Focus is probably my biggest fault, but when I do, I seem to learn pretty quickly. As for talent, hmm I guess I'll find out as I go, I thinking since I learned on my own to create Hello world, program with 0 experience before hand, it might be a good sign. As for help, yes, no end to it on the Web and kvr. Thanks for your's, as well ;)

In general, C is the most versatile language, what you see is what you get sorta stuff. Most of the time spent learning is in how you organize code, and ending up kicking yourself in the future because you didn't know how well it worked, and maybe ended up writing some atrocious workaround :hihi:

I've read that a good starting place and a helpful tool, can be learning something like SynthEdit. Good idea?

abstractcats wrote:
aciddose wrote:Very few of the existing programmers have specialized in the area. Many have taken a range of courses, but only as a supplementary to expand existing skills.

10 year!?!? :o :dog: :help: I'll be 58!! :hihi: I better be quick ! AND no dating, til then :cry:
for being a programmer it takes seconds
Maybe you'll complete your first plugin project soon, a year or less - I mean something which is not a simple gain plugin
For being a good programmer you'll be 58 :roll:
10 years is the minimum amount of time required for writing good code

Zaphod (giancarlo) wrote:
abstractcats wrote:

for being a programmer it takes seconds
Maybe you'll complete your first plugin project soon, a year or less - I mean something which is not a simple gain plugin
For being a good programmer you'll be 58 :roll:
10 years is the minimum amount of time required for writing good code
Yes, I know, anything worth doing takes time and effort. :tu:

abstractcats wrote:I've read that a good starting place and a helpful tool, can be learning something like SynthEdit. Good idea?
If you just want to do stuff for your own private fun, why not. But pleeeeease don't release that stuff to the public. There's so much SynthEdit based crap around already. And if it happens you actually manage to create something great, Windows 64 bit and OS-X users will then be asking for ports you can not provide, since SynthEdit doesn't work on those platforms. (Or was there actually some form of Windows x64 support now...?) So you'd probably be back to the "I should have just learned C++" stage...(Assuming you wanted to create products for public consumption...)

I am not sure how viable idea it is to prototype/research in SynthEdit and then "convert" to C++ later. Even something like Jesusonic plugins seems more viable to me since you'd at least have a more or less C-like language source code to start with.

Xenakios wrote:
If you just want to do stuff for your own private fun, why not. But pleeeeease don't release that stuff to the public. There's so much SynthEdit based crap around already. And if it happens you actually manage to create something great, Windows 64 bit and OS-X users will then be asking for ports you can not provide, since SynthEdit doesn't work on those platforms. (Or was there actually some form of Windows x64 support now...?) So you'd probably be back to the "I should have just learned C++" stage...(Assuming you wanted to create products for public consumption...)

I am not sure how viable idea it is to prototype/research in SynthEdit and then "convert" to C++ later. Even something like Jesusonic plugins seems more viable to me since you'd at least have a more or less C-like language source code to start with.
Got you! Probably much better time spent learning C++. And since x64 seems to more essential then ever, I believe, I 'll stick to C++/DSP. Oh, can plugins be made, in JAVA? And would it make any sense to do so?

You could do things in java but it likely would not make sense. Java makes sense in cases like android, but even then you still need to support so many variations of the virtual machine that it is really self-defeating and natively compiled code built up using the object oriented features of a language like c++ (abstract interfaces to system-specific implementation) would perhaps be even easier than java while providing also for the ability to tweak down to nearly the finest detail, crucial in real-time code like audio processing / DSP.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”