How about a daw with per track timelines for polyrhythms?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Where you can record track 1 in 12/8 then track 2 in 3/4 and so on?

Where you set the time sig on each track as you go and have the metronome click to the selected track/time sig. While other tracks in different time sigs play along.

Sorry if I'm missing something here, but we can already do this in Ableton (and presumably most other DAWs too).

And even if your DAW doesn't currently allow this, surely it's just a simple workaround in terms of thought and time sigs?

As far as I can see.. When you play a project. There is one timeline linked to all tracks. Which means the song is only in one time sig at a time as far as the metronome click and visual aspects go. I am really interested in people's thoughts on simple work arounds and so on.

Fl Studio you can change the time signature per pattern.

Isn't it just changing the length of the pattern? I just thought of something though. Will have to mess with it.

If you mean by track 1 and track 2 happening at the same time, that seems unusual. Cubase definitely does not provide that, nor Logic. 'Per pattern' is horizontal, is it not? I'm assuming you want two parts with independent time sigs.

And assuming you mean 3/4 and 12/8 with the same basis in BPM.
But if that is the case, one bar of 12/8 [=6/4] is simply two bars of 3/4 and there isn't that much to gain.
I think the problem of architecture comes in when there is more than one barline to calculate, in any case.
There is something that will do it but it isn't one of the conventional DAWs, I forget which.

Yep. Track 1 say 12/8 track 2 say 3/4 and so on. A new timeline would appear each time you click on a track.

at the same time. seems ambitious. I could use it too.

You can do this kind of thing with Numerology. You can have more than one sequencer with different time signatures in the same rack, triggering one instrument if you would like. You can even have multiple clocks running at different tempos in the same project.

In traditional piano role sequencers, just ignore the beat/bar/measure lines and do the math in your head. It's easy enough to change time signature without changing tempo (a measure or 5/4 has 5 beats instead of 4 in 4/4, so just count in 5s or 3+2s or whatever). Changing the tempo with the time signature can be done but it's a bit trickier, just set the divisions of the piano role to a high resolution and figure out how many steps are necessary to express different divisions of the master tempo. I used to do this kind of thing a lot in Ableton Live, with enough practice, you don't even have to think about it.

Since Reaper uses individual playrate on each track, you can do that.

Metronome though, I wonder - workaround as below maybe.

I would set tempo and signature to desired settings - and record an audio track for that.
You can even put that on the same track as the rest of recorded material - play all items and free placement of items, or what it's called. Then you can mute just the clock item when not wanting it.

Or on separate tracks.

jancivil wrote:at the same time. seems ambitious. I could use it too.
:tu:

Thanks guys. Very cool ideas. Going to mess with today.

Bidule supports multiple simultaneous tempo/time sources.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:Bidule supports multiple simultaneous tempo/time sources.
Seriously? :hyper:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”