FL Studio vs Battery vs ?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I need help deciding and your answers can save me a lot of time and help me make the right choice.

Some time back I heard some really nice ambient like music which the musician mentioned was done using Battery. He said that he used Battery in ways not intended.

Question:
Am I better off with FL Studio 12 or Battery 3 or 4 as a VSTi under S1 or Reaper or Sonar.
I make ambient, new age, space, ethereal, experimental and free form music.
I use little or no percussion. I will use my samples of which some are short a second or two and others 20 seconds long. Some samples will be put on a loop. Add some audio FX and experiment to get a good sound.

What does one lack or have over the other.
Which will give me the most flexibility and most features.
If you like suggest other VST’s that have similar workflow or use loops and samples.

My thinking is that FL Studio will win as it has total DAW integration so the work flow will be smoother. But in the end features and flexibility and final musical esthetics may win out.

FL Studio 11
http://www.image-line.com/flstudio/

Battery 4
http://www.native-instruments.com/en/pr ... battery-4/

Battery is a drum sampler. That's it. It's a good one, but that's what it's designed for.

FL Studio is a DAW with a bunch of features, including sampling that is more flexible, though less tailored specifically for drums, than Battery. Comparing them is like comparing a wheel to a whole car.

I made a ton of experimental/ambient music in FL Studio myself.

foosnark wrote:Battery is a drum sampler. That's it
clearly it's main focus is as a drum sampler/player, but i don't see the same limitations as you do. the samples that you load onto the flexible pad setup needn't be limited to drum hits or breaks

I doubt that you will get any further with answers to the question you asked.
Also looking at your gear list makes me think you're trolling. You have more than enough to make any kind of (electronic) music imaginable. Just use it. And if you're not happy with Battery's workflow and flexibility for sample mangling download Shortcircuit.
You have no right to remain silent!
www.soundcloud/phunkberater

Josmoker wrote:Also looking at your gear list makes me think you're trolling.
Is anybody a troll now? :help:

I want to turn a new chapter in my quest for music making. I have the software but little time and my request for help is to save me the time looking for the correct DAW or VST. In the past the help offered to me by the well informed at KVR has saved me a lot of time!

Shortcircuit:
http://vemberaudio.se/shortcircuit.php
Yes it looks interesting. Free. Wow!

Hmm.. I use FL studio and Battery.. that said, If you are comfortable in your main DAW I would stick with it and use Battery. FL studio is great and all, but it would take you a lot longer to learn a whole new program than just learn to use Battery.

I'd have thought the real question here is: what can't you do with Battery that you want to do with FL? Seeing as you already have Battery is part of Komplete, surely you must have given it a go.

If you wanted to be able to do more than you can with Komplete FL will allow you to do that. I really like FL, especially for MIDI stuff (as opposed to multi-tracking). You have various different ways as to how you can handle your audio samples and a plethora of means of mashing it up in interesting ways.

Q: 'Will X make my music better?'
A: no

(tbh this could be any thread on KVR really) :phones:

(dp)

Numanoid wrote:
Josmoker wrote:Also looking at your gear list makes me think you're trolling.
Is anybody a troll now? :help:
Did I write anything like that? Don't think I did.

@Kalamata Kid:
If you have little time, save it for something useful - learning another host is not.
To slightly reformulate what I wrote before - you're more than well equipped in the host department to get anything done. At this point it seems to me you need to invest time and energy into figuring out what you want to do and how (not with what) to get it done.
In any case it is hard to imagine that FL Studio will give you something that none of your other hosts can do.
You have no right to remain silent!
www.soundcloud/phunkberater

Hello,

Please let’s forget the trolling comments. I forgot it.

Let me elaborate. I have all the software and now also FL Studio 11. Dang I love them all. Cubase was recently removed from my list because of lack of some features that are important to me. So what remains is Reaper 4, Sonar x3, Studio One 2, and FL Studio 11. I have dabbled in all of them but know neither of them very well. With your help I will shortly narrow it down to one or two DAW’s and then focus my time there instead of what I have been doing.

My problem is lack of time that I devote to music. In 2015 I will start a new chapter in music making. If I resolve the question posed on the OP it will be helpful.

Thanks to all so far for their suggestions. I welcome more comments.

[added FL Studio to my signature]

Your problem seems to be that you have too many DAWs and obviously not enough experience with any of them. I hope you can see how those two things are very related ;)

So, like others suggested, pick one DAW (for what you want to do I suggest FL Studio) and put enough time into it to find out it can do anything and everything you want.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

crimsonwarlock wrote:Your problem seems to be that you have too many DAWs and obviously not enough experience with any of them. I hope you can see how those two things are very related ;)

So, like others suggested, pick one DAW (for what you want to do I suggest FL Studio) and put enough time into it to find out it can do anything and everything you want.
Totally agree with you. My current aim is to get it down to 1 or 2 DAWs, preferably one. Cubase was removed from my possible DAW list. Sell Cubase and the other unused DAW's. All the DAW's are due for a major version update. The first one to implement my two or three feature request will become my exclusive DAW.

The help I need is stated in the OP. If you can please offer your comments about that issue.

Kalamata Kid wrote:The first one to implement my two or three feature request will become my exclusive DAW.

Waiting for a DAW to implement X or Y might be a long wait. Better to choose one and figure out how to do the things you want to do with that DAW. Every DAW can do just about everything, only the workflow and certain solutions differ. As I said, for your aim/scope I think FL Studio will get you where you want to be.
Kalamata Kid wrote:The help I need is stated in the OP. If you can please offer your comments about that issue.
Battery is NOT a DAW. So just use FL Studio with Battery and you have the best of both worlds AND a production powerhouse for what you want to do.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”