roland U220 + all the sound cards, worth $225?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I remember the super brass and super acoustic guitar cards sounded cool.
I can get a u220 with out the cards for $79. I've seen JV 2080's for $250.
I know the jv's sound better than the u220.
thanks, Bill

For some reason I am still thinking of getting one of these, there's a couple of nice string sounds on there. I'd like the Super Strings card.

Seems a bit overpriced, although collecting the cards individually could be costly. How many of the cards would you actually use? Also you can only use two at once anyway.

Also worth noting is that cards 8 and 9 (I think) are already included in the U-220, so no need to buy those anyway.

I would be tempted to buy the unit and then buy the cards you think you might want. For my tastes I would get the Orchestral Strings, Super Strings and maybe the Ethnic.

Another option, almost between the U and the JV series is the SC-880. A bit rare but if you can find one cheap enough (mine was £60) then an absolute bargain. Tons of tones to build from (over 1000), some very U-like if not actual U, filters and envelopes, six layers and an amazing effects section with some unusual effects. Quite high polyphony count.

It's just short of a full synth (e.g. Portamento cannot be set, it's controlled by a SysEx message) but other than a few oddities like that is a full-on high-end rompler.

Thanks, I had a U220 years ago but never got any cards for it. I'm listening to these youtube demos and
hearing some really unique sounds, granted not realistic but, they sound pretty cool.The cool thing about getting all the cards,is
that Iwon't have to waist time tracking them down.The Sc 880 is cool.The u110 can hold 4 cards, but has a poor signal to noise ratio,
Doesn't sound as good as the U220.

Yeah I wouldn't go near a U-110 for that very reason.

Awful things.

Maybe compare to the contemporaries of its time?
Such as the Alesis S4; S4+; QSR.
I carried a U-20 around for awhile back in the day for its size more than its sound.
IMO, the Alesis rack was sonic-ally far superior.

The s4 rack is also an option, its sounded cool but kinda thin, which might
be cool for layering.Again The U220 and cards have some unique sounds

you could get a jv1080 for peanuts, or even a 880 if you want
less functionality, i've seen those for 80eu. but why not go the
other direction and get xv5080? you think those old sounds have
more body? kawai k4 for additive? some of those clunky brass
patches are built in a really interesting way-judging by factory
K1 patches.
(and it reinforces the idea that 'icon'/iconic sounds can be very
effective, without being literally realistic)

Thanks, I'm thinking of getting JV1080, 2080 or 5080 in addition to a U220.
I have another thread going on them.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”