What is lost in computer recording compared to original tape?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

herodotus wrote:
Dean Aka Nekro wrote:
hibidy wrote:Remember, Waves is modeling the wax cylinder as we speak. Then I'll finally have the analog warmth I've been craving :hyper:
:hyper:

Is that the upcoming Wax and Shellac by some old man collection?

I'm buying that one without even demoing bruv! 8)
To hell with that crap! I want Amberol!!

;)
haha brilliant! Looks like a dodgy spanish firework container, I can feel the warmth just by looking at the digitized images of the medium.

I do seriously wonder with all the emulations of tape why the heck not will emulations of pre-Tape become in-demand and pushed by some developers though? I would also like to add that my use of term wonder is totally inchangable for the term worry

It'll likely start with a program set/library for Nebula...Guess we'll have to wait and see :help:

Instant classic that one by your good self herodotus, Nice one :tu:

Dean

hibidy wrote:That ones going to be bundled with the "kings" microphones.
:lol: We've been creating a few rumoured bundles/add-ons the past few days, I love each and every entry, Even though we've been a bit mean :hihi: Still it is all good fun with no harm intended :clown:
I do genuinely use some of their plugins and I know you do also, However there are a few of them that make me think, "What the hell were they thinking with that one?" and I'm not mean very often

Magnetic wire

Next?

:scared:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Two empty baked bean cans and piece of string: 'The stuggle' talkback mic system

Dean Aka Nekro wrote:Two empty baked bean cans and piece of string: 'The stuggle' talkback mic system
Buffalo horns...the long distance calling system.
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

:lol:

Dean Aka Nekro wrote: I do seriously wonder with all the emulations of tape why the heck not will emulations of pre-Tape become in-demand and pushed by some developers though? I would also like to add that my use of term wonder is totally inchangable for the term worry
Supposedly, the 16 inch 'transcription discs' made by Western Electric during the late 30s and 40s were actually a better medium than the first few generations of magnetic tape recorders. These are just begging to be emulated.
Instant classic that one by your good self herodotus, Nice one :tu:
Thanks. I think we should start creating accounts here and at other sites like Gearslutz and make snotty demands for Amberol emulations, sounding exasperated the whole time, like "why do we even have to ask for this you morons?!?"

Gnomebe wrote:Has this been studied?
See what I did there? I made a digital copy of your original question.

I will now make a tape copy
Gnomebe wrote:Hsssssss thssssss biiiin sssssssstd
:D

Bleed-through coming in just a moment.

tape has a 'built in compression and rolls off the highs'

digital captures 'everything', but it would seem not often in an accurate fashion.

many 'bedroom producers' have $100-$200 'adac' i/o devices and might use 44.1k sample rate. in contrast, a pro set-up might have $10,000 'adacs' and use 192k sampling. tape might generally sound better than the former but nowhere near as accurate/clear as the latter.

with digital, you get 'highs' that you don't get with tape. it's just that 'low bandwidth, low budget digital highs' might not sound that great.

ymmv (i'm not a recording engineer but could play one on tv)

Demo satin or VTM and find out.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”