phasing in doubletrack shreddage 2x

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi - I have spent about a week trying to overcome this, and am now wondering if it is just the software! In Shreddage 2x the phase is really extreme in mono. I can hit the same key over and over again and it sounds like an aeroplane passing through my headphones. When I pan to stereo, the notes kind of bounce around from side to side. This becomes even more obvious when amp vsts are added. I am using the program with Fl Studio.
If anyone can confirm that this is just 'how it is' - or offer some sort of solution that would be wonderful. Is there some obvious setting that i am overlooking?

PS: I try matching up the wav sounds once rendered - but some notes appear to be a few milliseconds back, while others are forward!

by the way, I have tried:

turning off circular panning in fl studio.
delaying one track
using different cabinets and amp sims in each channel
using one guitar in shredage, moving the midi up a notch, detuning .. It sounds worse.
Resetting the round robbin every 8 notes!!! Its better, but still phasy.
sometime using guitAR 3 INSTEAD of guitar 2 sounds a tiny bit better... but still not good enough.

so nothing so far to help me on the web --- I have trawled extensively

What I do when double tracking, is to pan one instance of Shreddage hard left (set on guitar 1), and one instance hard right (set on guitar 2), then run them through my amp sim in stereo mode. I do this panning within Shreddage, not in the DAW, fyi. I honestly only have occasional phasing issues when having two separate instances of dual tracked rhythm guitars playing the same part together (basically quad tracking via separate instances of Kontakt). To prevent them from phasing, I just have the round robbins reset the moment they start playing the same part together and it seems to work pretty well that way.

I'm not at home on my workstation at the moment, so I can't upload a screenshot of what I'm doing. You may already be doing what I described, but let me know if that helps or not.

Also, if you can post screenshots, midi files, and even an mp3 of the sound problem, that would definitely help.

Thanks - here is a video of what i'm doing: you can see major phasing issues when guitar rig is implemented. and that pingpong effect when the raw guitar is in stereo. It often phases a lot more even without the amps turned on... and QUADTRACKING just sounds muddy.
I know panning hard left and right can sometimes give the 'illusion' that all is well, but I like to make sure it all sounds good in mono first, as so many devices still use mono.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dia-Btp ... e=youtu.be

Ah damn.. looks like the sound didnt work! I dont know how to capture whats going on my screen properly it seems.. But hopefully you can at least SEE what im doing!

That video seems to be set to private, can you check the privacy settings? If you load 2 instances of Shreddage2, one with guitar1 and one with guitar2, reset RR for both, and make sure they're receiving the exact same MIDI data, you will not have any true phasing (i.e. the same sample being played on both guitars). You might hear natural variations in the tonality of each sample, and natural chorusing in mono from the same pitch being layered on itself.

You're welcome to send me a MIDI file of a passage that produces the problem for you, along with screenshots of your settings - support@impactsoundworks.com - I'll load it up and see if I encounter the same problem.
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

Hi Zircon - thanks for the reply. Ive sent you a midi file, some screenshots and an audio sample. Im sure its something simple that i'm missing as Ive heard a lot of excellent sounding guitars produced using shredage!

Also, would using the shredage clasic expansion in conjunction with 2x produce a better result, at least for quad tracking, as the guitar used is different?

I found that while with DTx2, I was getting phasing, in DTx4, I was not getting phasing.

Problem solved - 'Zircon' sent me updated patches and It works much better!
As for quad tracking - that seems to be another problem altogether, as I still get phasing and a sloppy sound. Tracks actually sound more punchy and have a bit more snarl with only 2 guitars! Any advice / solutions for this ? Anyway, thats probably something for another thread... although it still fits under the category of 'phasing'

And will these updated patches be posted for the rest of us?

howie01 wrote:Tracks actually sound more punchy and have a bit more snarl with only 2 guitars!
There's actually a debate in the metal community on if quad tracking is even beneficial at all.

When I get phasing in double tracking, I fit S2's Fretboard on my screen and I notice that I start getting different stroke directions when it happens. It usually happens to me when doing custom chords, and it seems to be an issue with one of the first two guitars, seemingly Guitar 1. When I use guitars 3 and 4 for DT, I mostly don't get phasing.

I'd like to see this update posted to see if it still happens with that.

In the very near future we'll be launching our user account system which will allow you to view the latest updates for all your products at any time (not to mention download/re-download stuff as needed). That's what we've been focused on for over a month now and I think it will be worth it, so *everyone* can be updated all the time.
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

zircon wrote:In the very near future we'll be launching our user account system which will allow you to view the latest updates for all your products at any time (not to mention download/re-download stuff as needed). That's what we've been focused on for over a month now and I think it will be worth it, so *everyone* can be updated all the time.
Sounds awesome, Zircon!

Have you also considered an official support / bugtracker page instead of using the forums to report bugs? It seems like it would be more organized if that was the case.

Return to “Impact Soundworks”