Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Drop

andy-cytomic wrote:Strobe, Cypher, or Bazille - anything that can produce a clean anti-aliased buzzing sound without any filtering is good.
Serum ---> The Drop.

Phase47 wrote:
andy-cytomic wrote:Strobe, Cypher, or Bazille - anything that can produce a clean anti-aliased buzzing sound without any filtering is good.
Serum ---> The Drop.
I said anti-aliased oscillators, so for Serum that would sticking to slow pitch modulation and slow wavetable modulation and not using any of the "Warp Modes".

And for Bazille you also have to be careful with things, for example don't use the "Rectifier" on oscillators, and be careful using large PD (phase modulation) depths.

Having said that loads of aliasing never stopped the original Waldorf PPG or the Casio CZ synths from being hugely popular.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

Just get that synth of yours out soon already Andy.

Then move on to making the be all 1176. How about making a few circuits/revisions in one interface for that one? The option of a rev. A and rev. E in one would be cool. Throw in a HP filter in the sidechain, the ability to adjust the internal reference level, and a mix knob and you'd have a hit.

andy-cytomic wrote: Having said that loads of aliasing never stopped the original Waldorf PPG or the Casio CZ synths from being hugely popular.
I kinda like aliasing, actually... :)
vespesian (sean)

You're in an amazing state - so stay there.

I made an ambient track with just an instance of the drop and an Ableton ping-pong delay.
Last edited by V0RT3X on Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
:borg:

Vortex very nice, how did you get the drop to sing? I mean, I know it self oscillates but did you play anything into it to prime it? I love feedback tunes!

camsr wrote:Vortex very nice, how did you get the drop to sing? I mean, I know it self oscillates but did you play anything into it to prime it? I love feedback tunes!
Hey i made a little video showing the same process I used in creating that track above. The only difference in this video is that I didn't run the drop through a delay unit.

Please don't listen to this too loudly, as it can get quite loud in some places. I made this on a shitty pair of speakers so there might be super high freq content I'm not hearing. As always just listen to it a low volume and don't blow your eardrums :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwSwKHTlJic

I honestly would love to see a Cytomic synth similar to Fxpansion Strobe but with 2 oscillators and a sub oscillator.

Now that would be something to behold..

Andy I know my chances are slim, but please consider your amazing devices for the reason rack. They fit the ethos to perfection, and the platform is piracy proof.. i truly believe they would be those unique devices that sell thousands of copies. Cheers

TheoM wrote:Andy I know my chances are slim, but please consider your amazing devices for the reason rack. They fit the ethos to perfection, and the platform is piracy proof.. i truly believe they would be those unique devices that sell thousands of copies. Cheers
I don't know if it would be possible? I mean Urs had talked about not being able to code his stuff efficiently due to RE platform limitations so I doubt that it would be any different for something as complex as Andys work. Unless the RE platform has been updated ?

I agree that it would be neat to see stuff like that inside Reason but I just don't think it's feasible at this point.

Still loving the drop
Last edited by V0RT3X on Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Think I'm getting The Drop for crimbo :pray:

Whilst the sound of the LP makes me wet the bed, resonant HP filters really separate the wheat from the chaff. This thing has the cleanest, yet meatiest HP in software form. Cytomic don't do things by half.

You can really cheapen and weaken sounds with a HP, and often the resonance has a shape that's audibly muddy. I don't know what voodoo you've done here, but it's preserving the integrity of my sounds, even with 'silly' settings :hail:

I bought the drop back in February 2013 and getting close to two years later I'm still amazed at how good these filters sound. And it's only improved since the initial purchase!

I know everyone's stoked to find out when Andy will put out a synth, but I'd really like to see him do some more bread & butter effects like EQ's and Compressors at The Drop's level of quality, and with some cool new features.

Imagine a console EQ like The Drop where you can mix and match entire circuits (not just curves) from different EQ's. Start with a fixed approach of HP/LP, 1 Low Shelf, 2 Mid Bands, 1 Hi Shelf, where users could also select the input/output stages. Then have options for each band like...

Low Pass and Hi Pass filters from: The Drop(!), Neve, SSL
Low-shelf options: Pultec, Neve, API, SSL
Midbands from: API, Neve, SSL, Harrison
Hi-shelf options from: Neve 1081, 1073, Pultec, API, SSL

EQuillibrium does the filter shapes, but not the whole circuit. Slick EQ GE let's you change the circuit at an EQ level (rather than band level) with options for the output stages. I think a console style EQ from Andy like the above would be HUGE!

Or even an 1176 emulation with the ability to change between some more popular revisions (go from a Rev. A, to Rev. E, Rev. F, or even non UA versions like a Purple MC77, or Mohog MoFET76 with the different output transformers).

I'm just thinking out loud and dreaming, but that would be on my Cytomic wishlist for the future. Based on The Drop and how good The Glue still holds up all these years later, I think Andy is among the best (if not the best) at circuit modelling, and I'd love to see another strong competitor to UAD and Slate putting out similar products but with more of a free-wheeling indie ethos.

Time to drop a bump in this thread.

Been playing with the full release and it wasn't until I got it heavily involved in a track, I realised on playback how (excusing my french) foooking gorgeous this sounds. I don't know Andy persay, but I do know the time and effort he's put into this baby.

I know it's so much more than a filter and next step is to really get to grips with the trigger and autofunctions, but I digress.

LUSH!!! Smoother than smooth, makes hollywood feel more of a bearded clam!!! :hail:

As well as some very obvious effects and glorious gushy sweeps, it's actually quite a tasty little frequency shaver on group busses, specially when used pre eq (air eq now being my eq of choice, check it out if you haven't already).

If you are reading this and not demoed The Drop, download it, learn what it does...but tweak those freq nipples with tenderness and there is a sweet spot that will moisten your auditories!

I've realised that my personal favourite tracks that I am happy with, in fact, have The Drop and Glue all over them! I'm such a cytomic audio whore...which is a good thing.

I am truley looking forward to Cytomics next release. Please don't let it be a flacid!!!

The Drop is Sex in a plugin!! :lol:

MFXxx wrote:Time to drop a bump in this thread.

Been playing with the full release and it wasn't until I got it heavily involved in a track, I realised on playback how (excusing my french) foooking gorgeous this sounds. I don't know Andy persay, but I do know the time and effort he's put into this baby.

I know it's so much more than a filter and next step is to really get to grips with the trigger and autofunctions, but I digress.

LUSH!!! Smoother than smooth, makes hollywood feel more of a bearded clam!!! :hail:

As well as some very obvious effects and glorious gushy sweeps, it's actually quite a tasty little frequency shaver on group busses, specially when used pre eq (air eq now being my eq of choice, check it out if you haven't already).

If you are reading this and not demoed The Drop, download it, learn what it does...but tweak those freq nipples with tenderness and there is a sweet spot that will moisten your auditories!

I've realised that my personal favourite tracks that I am happy with, in fact, have The Drop and Glue all over them! I'm such a cytomic audio whore...which is a good thing.

I am truley looking forward to Cytomics next release. Please don't let it be a flacid!!!

The Drop is Sex in a plugin!! :lol:
You should be writing romance novels instead of making music.

Otherwise, I have to agree with you. The Drop is a sick, little filter, but a lot more than that as well.

Return to “Effects”