NAMM: Announcing iRig PowerBridge

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

NAMM: Announcing iRig PowerBridge
Universal charging solution for all iRig accessories using your iOS devices

iRig PowerBridge allows for continuous use and charging of an iOS device and iRig accessories

Introducing iRig PowerBridge, a new charging system for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch that allows for the continuous charge of the device while using iRig accessories. Now mobile musicians can practice, perform and record with their favorite 30-pin or Lightning compatible digital IK gear — like iRig Mic HD, iRig HD,iRig Keys, iRig PRO or iRig MIDI 2 — for as long as they want, anytime and everywhere.

A streamlined solution
The reason IK Multimedia’s iRig range of digital interfaces, microphones and controllers are so popular among musicians is because they offer the highest quality sound in every mobile situation. IK’s iRig accessories are able to accomplish this because they connect via the 30-pin or Lightning connector of an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. While this offers significant advantages in terms of performance, it comes at the expense of battery life — with an accessory connected, it is impossible to perform for an extended period of time without recharging. iRig PowerBridge is an elegant solution to this problem.

iRig PowerBridge combines a power supply and an ultra-low noise power conditioner that connects to a power outlet on one end and a Lightning or 30-pin iPhone, iPad or iPod touch on the other. Between both ends is a female Mini-DIN connector that can be used to connect any digital iRig accessory with a Mini-DIN or Micro-USB port. Through this connection, iRig PowerBridge allows continuous charging while also passing along audio and MIDI information between the digital iRig accessory and the iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.

Through this streamlined setup, musicians can keep their iPhone, iPad or iPod touch charged and play with their favorite digital iRig accessories and powerful IK apps for as long as they want, whether they’re performing on stage, recording in the studio or just jamming at home.

Effortless portability, intuitive use
iRig PowerBridge has been designed with portability in mind. It sports a lightweight and compact enclosure that musicians can easily carry in their gig bag of choice. Available as either a 30-pin or Lightning version, it connects quickly for use and features an LED that provides at-a-glance visual feedback while charging.

Pricing and availability
iRig PowerBridge comes in two versions — one for Lightning and one for 30-pin — for $69.99/€54.99 (excluding taxes). iRig PowerBridge will ship Q1, 2015 from music and electronics retailers worldwide, and from the IK online store.

To learn more about iRig PowerBridge click here

More Resources:

Looks like a good product but way to expensive IMHO!
Dave

Great idea, but is its use limited to iRig accessosries or can it be used with non-IK products? Can the USB port be connected to a USB HUB and provide connectivity to other manufacturers' mics, midi interfaces, and audio interfaces? That would open up its usefulness dramatically and its a big missing link in the iOS world. I'm actually surprised Apple themselves didn't make something like this.

You have to buy different models for 30-pin and Lightning? :(
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Agreed, very useful but I will not be purchasing at that price. Too bad really.

Thank you for your input/comments. Yes, this is designed for iRig digital accessories and there are separate Lightning and 30-pin versions. All details about features and options can be found at http://www.irigpowerbridge.com

Here is our video about PowerBridge and anybody at NAMM can stop by and see it on tomorrow, the final day of Winter NAMM 2015:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6IdL-Yu8fs

Nice idea but crippled by price, needing to buy separate versions and only working with Irig stuff. Shame really.
Instant human just add coffee

Thank you all for your input. There's quite a lot of interest from retailers, artists, and other industry folks at NAMM, so we look forward to seeing iRig PowerBridge on the shelves and in the hands of iRig digital accessory users.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:Thank you all for your input. There's quite a lot of interest from retailers, artists, and other industry folks at NAMM, so we look forward to seeing iRig PowerBridge on the shelves and in the hands of iRig digital accessory users.
Of course: who wouldn't want to AC power a battery powered device during long sessions. Then there's still the publicly unanswered question whether or not the USB connectivity is compatible with non-IK equipment. Your previous answer was somewhat elusive; perhaps there's things discussed at NAMM that the public isn't privy to yet.

But if this device is in fact restricted to one brand of equipment, then there's no denying the obvious marketing advantage. And the loss to everyone who needs it for multiple brands of equipment.

It is stated on the product page and specs page that it is compatible with iRig digital accessories. It has been designed and will be supported for that use and compatibility, anything beyond that is outside of the scope of this topic for IK.

Hi Peter, still a bit vague. The iRig stuff is normal class compliant as far as I understood (from your website: iRig KEYS with Lightning is MIDI and USB class compliant for a true plug-and-play experience both with iOS devices or Mac/PC. No additional apps, software or drivers are necessary to get it up and running). So why would other class compliant keyboards etc. not work if connected through the micro USB?

I can understand you're not too happy having solved this 'problem' for other manufacturers and like to use it as extra argument selling your equipment, but hey class compliant is class compliant......

@ Breeze; Yes I also wish Apple themselves would make (or open up to other manufacturers) stuff like this.

Albert.VST wrote:Hi Peter, still a bit vague. The iRig stuff is normal class compliant as far as I understood...
It's what I suspect as well. I suppose Peter is bound to the IKM marketing plan; can't really blame him, and why I didn't pursue the issue any further. In that vein, it's also likely that use of PowerBridge will be officially unsupported for use with anyone else's gear. It's a bit expensive for what it is, but I'm sure some enterprising soul will soon get one and experiment with it... we'll know what's what then. If it does work like we think it will, I actually hope they sell a lot of them. Not sure why that's a problem... :D

I am told it will not work with other devices (note also some of the points above about certification and whatnot), and seeing how iRig KEYS is mentioned you can see clearly how that device connects to iRig PowerBridge is not via USB at all in this photo from its product page:

There seems to be some misunderstanding about pricing and functionality. This is not a hacky glorified USB hub with generic power supply. As always, we go through the stringent MFi licensing program requirements to get the proper certification from Apple, using the highest quality components as required. The power supply is not a generic power supply, it is a low-noise (medical equipment grade) power supply to provide clean noiseless power so you don't experience hum or noise caused by iRig PowerBridge itself. This is obviously important to people making music on their iOS devices. Since the compatible iRig digital devices are also certified, are providing the required and best end-to-end power solution which is why it is priced as it is priced.

So it is not solving a problem for other manufacturers, nor an excuse to sell more iRig accessories - it is a perfect companion for the many thousands of iRig digital accessories already out there and we hope current and future iRig digital accessory users find it a solid and welcome addition to their setup.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:This is not a hacky glorified USB hub with generic power supply. As always, we go through the stringent MFi licensing program requirements to get the proper certification from Apple, using the highest quality components as required. The power supply is not a generic power supply, it is a low-noise (medical equipment grade) power supply to provide clean noiseless power so you don't experience hum or noise caused by iRig PowerBridge itself. This is obviously important to people making music on their iOS devices.
Hi Peter, I absolutely do not question the quality. For me it's all about functionality.
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:...and seeing how iRig KEYS is mentioned you can see clearly how that device connects to iRig PowerBridge is not via USB at all in this photo from its product page:
But from that same IK Multimedia website:

A streamlined solution

iRig PowerBridge combines a power supply and an ultra-low noise audiophile-grade power conditioner that connects to a power outlet on one end and a Lightning or 30-pin iPhone, iPad or iPod touch on the other. Between both ends is a female Mini-DIN connector that can be used to connect any digital iRig accessory with a Mini-DIN or Micro-USB port. Through this connection, iRig PowerBridge allows continuous charging while also passing along audio and MIDI information between the digital iRig accessory and the iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.

And it shows a drawing that at least suggests micro USB at device side can be used:

So yes, I'm waiting for someone to test it with non-iRig class compliant devices. If it works I even may buy it :tu:

I have no desire to connect this to iRig devices.

I do, however, have every desire to connect it to class compliant USB devices, especially USB audio interfaces with MIDI and audio ports. If this works I will be very happy indeed and will purchase one straight away.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”