2CAudio Kaleidoscope | It's A Trip | Latest Update 1.1

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Kaleidoscope Kaleidoscope

regarding cpu meter in Logic:

Logic's cpu usage indicator is misleading in case of Kaleidoscope.

that's ok because Logic does not expect audio plug-ins to be using multiple cores, while KS is non standard in this regard which led to some confusion. so simply if you open activity monitor and check the cpu history graph you will see that all cores all loaded (otherwise you wont be able to run KS). there are two methods to measure cpu loading: simple time based and direct measurement.
former is used (as I suppose) in Logic, the latter in Activity Monitor (I do not know how this direct method works technically I must confess).
the time method works like this: suppose you have 1024 sample buffer to process. in order to have no drop outs you must supply next buffer to audio driver within 1024/sample_rate interval. so for 48000 it'll be 1024/48000 = ~21 ms. now you call processing in plug-in, and measure the time passed, say you got 5ms, then you infer that plug-in consumed 5/21 = ~25% cpu (this is within one core of course). actually this is only a guess, it's not correct, because plug-in could simply put his own thread into idle state and OS thread scheduler can simply switch to running another thread. so what happens with KS: let's say you have 8 cores and there are 512 resonators to process. what we do is to let the core thread called from Logic (any host)
to process 512/8 = 64 resonators and we launch 7 more threads in parallel with the main thread from Logic to process the rest of 512-64 threads equally (or close to equally) over 7 threads (note that threads != cores on OSX as OSX unlike Windows does not allow to set implicitly which core the thread will run on, but OSX scheduler does a good job and it correctly distributes threads over different virtual cores). then we wait until all threads are finished and then return the result buffer to host. so for Logic the rest 7 threads
simply go unnoticed.

Regards,
Denis (2CAudio)

Out of curiosity where are you guys keeping the resource library? Maybe the OS is blocking access to the files if you have them in /program files/ or something? What happens if you move to the folder to the desktop and relink to this location?

i'm on a late 2011mbp 16 gigs ram
live 9 yosemite
KS is almost unusable regardless of core % and buffering
the main issue is it seems to want to change presets way too easily
Im working on my own preset and I change one in omnsphere and KS changes back to the first preset in the bank I was working from. If I swipe across the preset change arrow by accident it goes to a completely random preset. So basically the interface is pretty fiddly. Maybe it is because it is grinding my maschine to an almost halt.
Can someone tell me what CHET means? ET must mean equal temperament.

no idea how to access the waveforms

Galbanum wrote:Out of curiosity where are you guys keeping the resource library? Maybe the OS is blocking access to the files if you have them in /program files/ or something? What happens if you move to the folder to the desktop and relink to this location?
If you're talking about the browser issue, I've got my resource library on a separate internal SSD where all of my samples, loops, etc. live. I haven't tried moving my 64 bit Arch2010 stuff in yet. I'll wait until I get this figured out before I complicate things further.
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

Being a dude...I pride myself on never reading manuals. This is the first plugin where I have completely failed to elicit any response whatsoever - no matter which sliders I slide or knobs I tweak, the sound remains un-processed. Clearly I failed this particular IQ test and may need to resort to reading the manual.

Kindred wrote:Being a dude...I pride myself on never reading manuals. This is the first plugin where I have completely failed to elicit any response whatsoever - no matter which sliders I slide or knobs I tweak, the sound remains un-processed. Clearly I failed this particular IQ test and may need to resort to reading the manual.
Read the stuff in red under demo instructions in the first post. That's the usual gotcha!

To get sound you need to:

0) Load Kaleidoscope -- it is found under effects NOT instruments.
1) Make sure Demo is still active if using Demo
2) Link to the Resource Library
3) Load a preset. You should see an image in the image display area, NOT a completely black area.
4) Feed KS some input signal, or set white to 200% and lock.
5) Start playback in host (if Phase Lock is set to "To Host" as is the default -- if set to "Internal" the clock will be free-running, always on)
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

cheers guys will do!

I bought that waveform pack from 2cAudio a while back and have never got around to using them with anything (except for a brief attempt to import into Serum which was ok) - perhaps this may be an opportunity to put them to good use...

So... i tried it another time after i "cleaned up" Logic Pro X (removing not working AU´s and other things). Strange.... now it works even with 256 samples on my MacBook Pro retina. Even with a full loaded Omnisphere multi plus a huge B2 space :o . So maybe i jump on this until the intro price end. I doubt there will be a chance for (even new) Perfect Storm 2.5 users to get a more special intro.
However, now since i can use it i see what this can do... and this is awesome and unique. The good thing is i can use my MacBook to warm up the living room :hihi: and it takes ages to calm down after using it :o .

So congratulations to another great tool :tu: :clap:

Simon I recall you saying it was good to use CrusherX after Kaleidoscope in a chain. I'm curious to know what kind of settings you are using if you care to share? :pray:

I shall upload some combo presets soon.

Sampleconstruct wrote:I shall upload some combo presets soon.
:hail: Great! :tu:

will check the demo later but what is this exactly? a granular synth? a resynthesizer? i couldnt find specific infos.

edit: oh some effect plugin.... hmmmm
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote:will check the demo later but what is this exactly? a granular synth? a resynthesizer? i couldnt find specific infos.

edit: oh some effect plugin.... hmmmm
Read the very first post of this thread. :tu:

Return to “Effects”