'90 - '00 old school sounds (trance, rave, hard, acid...)

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks mate for the answer :)
Finally I have a specific question on a specific song.

It's Whispering, by RMB ( youtube.com/watch?v=AI4lBfAvZic )

I was wondering, around 1:35, the track explodes and I can't quite understand what's going on ^^
I really like the rhythm but I can't understand what's there.
Kick and bass, of course; a fast arp repeating every bar; a gated synth; an offbeat hat. I'm not sure if the arp has other notes following the bass or not. When a track get busy I can't get a thing done.

2ZrgE wrote:Don't know why people bitch about Legend B, of course by today's production standards it may sound 'cheap', but back then it was really cool stuff, a real techno trance classic which moved a lot of people.

Kids these days... :roll:
Yeah, the people complaining about this track sounds rather...young. It's probably true that compared to what most of us have access to these days this track doesn't need to involve a lot of sophistication and alchemy 2 granular modes or whatever, but in 1994 it was a different world in terms of technology, and a lot of what has been made easy today is a direct outgrowth of what people had to struggle to do in the 80s and 90s. I may not really be personally interested in making stuff like this these days, but it can be pretty fun, and isn't really that easy.

If I wanted to produce something like this I would probably stay basic and use some combination of ableton live + the the drum machine pack + zebra2, the latter just because it's so versatile. My favorite trance gate effect is actually just ableton live's auto pan with the phase at 0, and you can do some fun things by grouping and layering auto pans. Live's auto filter can be useful in achieving some common effects from then. I would also suggest checking out trackers (these days I guess it would be renoise) at least a bit, just for the experience; these were a thing back then (buzz, rebirth) and I personally think the way one interacts them affected the sound of the 90s, or at least late 90s.

This thread on gearslutz is pretty interesting and informative.

THAT THREAD IS DIAMONDS
THANK YOU

Sorry for caps, it's just too interesting

Sigon wrote:Thanks mate for the answer :)
Finally I have a specific question on a specific song.

It's Whispering, by RMB ( youtube.com/watch?v=AI4lBfAvZic )

I was wondering, around 1:35, the track explodes and I can't quite understand what's going on ^^
I really like the rhythm but I can't understand what's there.
Kick and bass, of course; a fast arp repeating every bar; a gated synth; an offbeat hat. I'm not sure if the arp has other notes following the bass or not. When a track get busy I can't get a thing done.
Explodes is the right word for sure! I see the dance floor in front of me :D Dance floor - not crowd(!).
Very inspiring! I may not be one who likes piano in electronic music but if my ears can ignore that i'd say it's a fantastic track :)

Regarding the M1 - I think you have to play around a lot and stack sounds to get what you want. It was hard work back then making something not intended for the genre sound really really good :) Also what is my opinion, that explotion is something that's lost in most of todays genres.. Sweepes and lowering of energy instead of increasing. It sounds cool and all but it's not ecstasy (not referring to the drug of which i have no experience of). For me, back then, if the end of a break was good, people would scream in mad euphoria :D You'd have chills in your arms going up your back through your spine making your neck explode like a supernova spreading love into your brain :D
:hug:

Lost In Love was released around 1995, so that precedes the JP-8000 by a few years. That means no supersaws!

You could easily recreate this song with an SH-101, TB-303, TR-909, and either a JX-8P or Jupiter-6.

Return to “Production Techniques”