Camel Audio ceasing sales? [Update: CA acquired by Apple]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic

Or Avid. This is how they are going to make people buy a Pro Tools 12 subscription.

SyntheticAurality wrote:
Using Alchemy in a tune right now.. seems to be working fine.. :scared:
It's just a matter of time, my friend. One day soon when you buy that new computer or upgrade to that new OS, then KABLOOEY!!!!

Since Cakewalk bought RGC Audio and Gibson bought Cakewalk . Why not CA? I remembered filling it out in the survey that Alchemy and all the Camel plugins were the best stuff I use. Along with Eventide and a few others as standards.

Really not ready to accept it if its bye for good. Especially after taking the time to learn to design some useful sounds on it. Then there's the new OS releases that's gonna make it legacy without newer builds on the VST plugins.

Anyway, I've been shopping around for new plugins just in case. Maybe the new granular and wavetable synthesis thing in Omnisphere 2 will be something to look at.
It don't mean a thing IIAGTS :D

Ed A. wrote:
SyntheticAurality wrote:
Using Alchemy in a tune right now.. seems to be working fine.. :scared:
It's just a matter of time, my friend. One day soon when you buy that new computer or upgrade to that new OS, then KABLOOEY!!!!
Id wager that Windows users are pretty safe for the foreseeable future, so 'soon' is not something to worry about.

Mac users however.....
Amazon: why not use an alternative

XFX wrote:Since Cakewalk bought RGC Audio and Gibson bought Cakewalk . Why not CA? I remembered filling it out in the survey that Alchemy and all the Camel plugins were the best stuff I use. Along with Eventide and a few others as standards.
Except that when Gibson bought Cakewalk, they didn't shut down sales. They even released a new version of Sonar as this was happening.
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

Well here is my soliloquy.

Alchemy is far and away the best synth I have ever used. Mainly because you can go straight into it and start making sounds, even though it is such a huge synth. I've spent many happy hours in the last six years playing around with it, yet it continues to deliver surprises. A big part of that has been the support from CA. They have been endlessly patient with my sometimes rather stupid questions, and have often helped out when my problem wasn't even to do with Alchemy. They've even been proactive and contacted me when I've said something on KVR or elsewhere and helped me sort out a problem. My first interaction with them was when I emailed them to suggest some improvements to Chameleon. They got back to me and said that all those improvements were in Alchemy and offered me a total bargain price to upgrade.

A few days before the dread announcement I ordered a new iMac complete with Yosemite and Logic Pro X to replace my ageing MacBook Pro. Alchemy 1.55 is working fine on the iMac, but I shall be keeping my MacBook withOSX 10.6.8 and Logic 9 just to be sure I can go on using Alchemy for the next few years. Who knows, by the time it flakes things may have advanced so far that Alchemy seems as dated as the Roland D50? Or maybe not. I think it's a classic synth and eventually someone will recreate it just as they are doing now with the MS20 and the Moog Modular. Anyway, I find that now I've extracted the MacBook from my studio setup I can lie in of a morning and play with Alchemy just for the hell of it.

Like everyone else I'm bemused by the manner of its passing. At the farther reaches of my imagination I wonder if the technology they were developing for A2 had some military application and they've all been extraordinarily renditioned to Diego Garcia and are being waterboarded to get them to give up their secrets. But I think there are some things you all have not considered. I could be wrong, but I'm dubious about the theory that Alchemy would end up as one of Logic's plugs. The Logic plugs are all pretty simple - even Sculpture, the PM synth is like an afternoon walk in the park compared to Alchemy, which is like exploring a planet. And the business of all the Alchemy stuff disappearing from the Apple store is bemusing. Most of you seem to think this is proof that Apple have bought CA. But what if it isn't? Is there an alternative explanation? I don't have an answer for this myself but you seem to have good heads on your shoulders - it's an anomaly compared with the way they've said they will maintain support for six months. And I certainly think it's worthy of note that they've said that their plugs are no longer available, not that they have ceased trading. What else could they be up to? They're a very talented and creative bunch.

Anyway, finally, it seems clear from this thread that Alchemy is alive and well in the hearts of its users, so if there is no more support forthcoming from CA after July is there potential for a self-help forum here on KVR?

Oh yes, I hesitate to mention this, but has anyone else noticed that July 7 2015 is the 10th anniversary of a rather dreadful event in London?
Would you like some cheese with that WHINE?

TL;DR

WTF Camel Audio? WTF??????????????????????????
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Some fun guesses here ...U-he ZebrAlchemy being my favorite , next possibility ....NI KompleteAlchemy ..or yawn yawn the real boring one Apple/Mac bought em up and cablewey .....

Aloysius wrote:TL;DR

You know what sucks is that I've actually read the whole thread (over the course of the time it's been growing) and should have been making music instead of reading the thread.

So yeah, TL:DR everything :lol:

Well if you only have the limited attention span of the internet generation that's your problem. No wonder you only bought the sound sets and never learned to programme this fabulous machine. Why are you even interested in it?
Would you like some cheese with that WHINE?

Why oh why do kids ask why? :zzz:

Faxi, is that you?

:hihi:

Isn't it interesting that Camel Audio went out of business just as Spectrasonics made a new edition of Omnisphere available?

See, I can make up conspiracy hypotheses too! And with plausible deniability!

jsp1979 wrote:

Faxi, is that you?

:hihi:
Imitation is the greatest form of flattery. :tu:

Hmmm. What if they are not getting out of the market at all? What if they just decided to discontinue all off the old plugins and concentenrate on Alchemy II? I find it hard to believe that nobody knows anything. Sounddesigners, close music-nerd-friends ... somebody should know something right now. Might this be just an elaborate marketing step?
Evovled into noctucat...
http://www.noctucat.com/

Return to “Instruments”