BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (Apple M1 ready, 4K)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BlueARP

stoney wrote:Ok. Seems anything version 2 doesn't respond to program change messages. It works for version 1 bluearps though.
Yes, now I have this code commented out. I don't remember the exact reason.
But now since I have separate "Settings" panel with plenty of space I can make it configureble in the next release. By adding checkbox "respond to prog.change"

Added in 2.12 Parameter "program change msg" in MENU->Settings. 3 options - "ignore", "set program" and "pass to synth".
Will release 2.12 next weekend.
Last edited by graywolf2004 on Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

phreaque wrote:Privet Oleg
Hope you're doing well.

I'm into doing similar project, but with little windows tablet and will give you a feedback, I was not thinking at all about V-Machine based on reviews I collected from members here, most of them told it is not a powerful machine to handle some medium level work...

But, I was willing to hide this suggestion :hihi: unfortunately you opened that door to it...
What do you think about IOS version of BlueARP ? :ud:

Have a nice time meister :wink:
Hi. If I did this for living I would certainly do IOS version. But now I have ehough PITA with OSX ver.
What I'm actually thinking about is building a hardware prototype for bluearp. My recent research showed that with modern microcontrollers it's quite possible.

Privet Oleg :)
Yes I understand you... It is huge step indeed. And regarding for hardware prototyping, it should be powered by Windows OS, or? Current Mini ITX motherboards with their built in video cards are a good investment. Building such small form factor pc, is quite simple, affordable & powerful.. Maybe it can host a little touch screen to modifiy BlueArp parameters as well

Thanks for all your efforts mate, have a great time
And of course, we will be here to support you in any step of development :hug:

Edit:
Don't know exactly about huge software like this BlueArp, but I made with a friend some small software for light motion with Arduino electronics, it was simple, and they are keep supporting this technology rapidly.

graywolf2004 wrote:Yes, now I have this code commented out. I don't remember the exact reason.
But now since I have separate "Settings" panel with plenty of space I can make it configureble in the next release. By adding checkbox "respond to prog.change"
Thanks, appreciate it!

Update: BlueARP v2.12

Windows:
http://www.graywolf2004.net/files/2/Blu ... _v2.12.zip
OSX:
http://www.graywolf2004.net/files/2/Blu ... _v2.12.zip

This version is quite experimental, better use it separately (rename .dll)
I introdiced quite a lot of changes but didn't finish testing.
The main thing - I started refining 'force to scale' stuff since I finished it with chains.

Changes:
1. Added 'prog change msg' in MENU->Settings. Ignore - BlueARP ignores program change MIDI messages. Other options are 'set program' (bluearp sets it's program in response) and 'pass to synth' (bluearp does nothing, but passes this message to synth)
2. Added 'scale step' value bar. Works like 'semitone' bar, but sets per-step transposition in scale steps. Works when 'force to scale: scale' is not 'off'
3. Key select = 'Chord' - moved to 'Step type' value bar.
4. Key select - added 'Root' value. It's a root key of the detected chord, no matter what order algorithm is.

Bank format has changed, but I wrote the conversion routine, so theoretically new version should pick up projects saved in ver 2.11. I tested it in FL. But again - it's experimantal. For production, better stay on 2.11

PS. Also check my updated website.
http://www.graywolf2004.net/wp
Should look better than previous dirty sketch. WordPress turned out to be easier than I expected, I made this in in 3 hours.

phreaque wrote:Privet Oleg :)
Yes I understand you... It is huge step indeed. And regarding for hardware prototyping, it should be powered by Windows OS, or?...
I want to use cortex m4 for this - they are quite powerful. Already ordered stm32f4 discovery board and made some research - how to implement midi/in out with it, how to interface rotary encoder, etc. But it's a long way to go...

Any chance you'll release a 64-bit AU version?

great work! Bluearp just keeps getting beter. :tu:
"..What is simple, is simply seen.."

graywolf2004 wrote:What I'm actually thinking about is building a hardware prototype for bluearp. My recent research showed that with modern microcontrollers it's quite possible.
Now THAT is something I will be following with keen interest if you post your progress online. Sounds like a very cool project. :tu:
graywolf2004 wrote: PS. Also check my updated website.
http://www.graywolf2004.net/wp
Should look better than previous dirty sketch. WordPress turned out to be easier than I expected, I made this in in 3 hours.
The WP version looks great. I've been using WP for my websites now for the last couple of years and am in agreement with you about it's general ease of use. It is quite easy to customize too.

I've just downloaded V2.12 and hope to get some time to play around with it over the next few days. Right now though, I have a few electronics projects I've been prototyping and need to get finished.

Privet Oleg :)
Just something irritating me so much I can't sleep before I tell :(
Please try to consider adding visual parameters for note input/output ranges, or at least redesign them, I'm having a lot of time to set them up, especially if I have a bouncing 2 octave arp line. :ud:

Appreciate your time & support :tu:

phreaque wrote:Privet Oleg :)
Just something irritating me so much I can't sleep before I tell :(
Please try to consider adding visual parameters for note input/output ranges, or at least redesign them, I'm having a lot of time to set them up, especially if I have a bouncing 2 octave arp line. :ud:

Appreciate your time & support :tu:
Hi. This is what I noticed too. The easiest thing comes to my mind is to make midi keyboard input. Like you right-click on the control, select "midi key input" and then press a key on your midi keyboard.
AusDisciple wrote:
graywolf2004 wrote:What I'm actually thinking about is building a hardware prototype for bluearp. My recent research showed that with modern microcontrollers it's quite possible.
Now THAT is something I will be following with keen interest if you post your progress online. Sounds like a very cool project. :tu:
Thanks! I have not much to show yet, but here are notes on my progress.
Now I have only a basic prototype which sends and receives midi. stm32f4discovery board, connected to MIDI IN/OUT board I took from a broken synth, via some simple schematic (opto-coupler for MIDI in and some resistors).
But I already did quite a lot of stuff on a software side:
1. Wrote a library to handle low-level midi in/out stuff (USARTS sends messages byte by byte, but midi message consists of 3 bytes, so you need to assemble it before processing, etc.)
2. Re-factored BlueARP core code, the goal was to isolate core logic into a single compact c++ module, so this core code will be the same for hardware and software version
3. Did several memory optimisations. stm32f4 has 192kB of RAM in total. It's a lot for microcontroller, but not much for a PC program.

So I'm not that far from a moment when core BlueARP code will run on microcontroller.
Next step will be to connect LCD screen, rotary encoder and some buttons, I already ordered these parts. As soon as I have it with LCD and buttons, I gonna make more detailed video report.

Hi Oleg, I am trying to load a song I made last year in FL Studio using BlueARP, and FL Studio says it can't find the missing VST 'BlueARP_win64' - the version I have is called BlueARPv210.x64.dll, and appears in the VST list as BlueARPv210.x64. Is this a mistake - should it appear in the list as 'BlueARP_win64'? Or should I rename BlueARPv210.x64.dll to BlueARP_win64.dll? I don't want to change things and then find that I can't load new projects with a future version of BlueARP.
And thank you so much for all your hard work on BlueARP!

Edit: I downloaded version 2.11 and installed that, now it's called 'BlueARP.x64' in FL Studio's VST list - presumably at some stage in the past it was displaying as 'BlueARP_win64'? I couldn't have changed that part myself. I'm just wondering how to force FL Studio to look for 'BlueARP.x64' instead, for this song of mine.

basslinemaster wrote:Hi Oleg, I am trying to load a song I made last year in FL Studio using BlueARP, and FL Studio says it can't find the missing VST 'BlueARP_win64' - the version I have is called BlueARPv210.x64.dll, and appears in the VST list as BlueARPv210.x64. Is this a mistake - should it appear in the list as 'BlueARP_win64'? Or should I rename BlueARPv210.x64.dll to BlueARP_win64.dll? I don't want to change things and then find that I can't load new projects with a future version of BlueARP.
And thank you so much for all your hard work on BlueARP!

Edit: I downloaded version 2.11 and installed that, now it's called 'BlueARP.x64' in FL Studio's VST list - presumably at some stage in the past it was displaying as 'BlueARP_win64'? I couldn't have changed that part myself. I'm just wondering how to force FL Studio to look for 'BlueARP.x64' instead, for this song of mine.
Yes, in earlier versions in was 'BlueARP_win64', now it's 'BlueARP.x64'. FL uses the name of DLL, and I don't know any way to force it to use different name. I try to make all my versions compatible but feedback from people says me it just doesn't work in many cases, mosly cause I can't test it in all hosts and take all the details into accout. It would be too much for a single person ;).
So, the best solution I can advise now is:
1. Use only 'stable' versions of BlueARP for production. Latest stable is 2.11
2. The safest way to load your older projects - is to use them it with the same version they were created. To do this, rename dll to 'BlueARP.211.dll' or something like this. Pros - your project will load 100% correctly. Cons - you have to keep several versions of BlueARP at the same time.
3. Keep only stable versions of BlueARP. Beta versions - you are welcome to test them, but better don't use them for production. So, in biggest case you need to to keep all stable versions you used for production and only the latest beta version.

PS. 2.12 is quite experimantal. 2.13. or 2.14 should be candidate for a stable one, and I'll take care for it tobe compatible with 2.11. Bank format have changed, but I'm writing the conversion routine.

Thanks, Graywolf, for your detailed reply. Do you know which version had the name 'BlueARP_win64'? I think I deleted some very old versions off my hard drive, are they all still on your site? I can just download a few and try them, presumably once I get one that works, I can use 'Replace' in FL Studio and replace the old BlueARP for a newer one, with the name 'BlueARP.x64'.

basslinemaster wrote:Thanks, Graywolf, for your detailed reply. Do you know which version had the name 'BlueARP_win64'? I think I deleted some very old versions off my hard drive, are they all still on your site? I can just download a few and try them, presumably once I get one that works, I can use 'Replace' in FL Studio and replace the old BlueARP for a newer one, with the name 'BlueARP.x64'.
The latest one with 'BlueARP_win64' is 1.15b3 (I keep all public versions on my site)
http://www.graywolf2004.net/files/BlueARP_v1.15b3.zip
And it's the latest Delphi version. Next version is 2.02 - it's Visual C++ / WDL-OL, I completely re-wrote BlueARP that time to make MAC version possible.

Return to “Instruments”