McDSP will now support vst (in March)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chokehold wrote:
AC222 wrote:6030 for anybody with experience and how they compare to what else is out there (between IK, Waves, NI etc...)
I have the 6030 and I like it, because it always somehow works ........... Which I guess is something to keep in mind when being hypnotized by a discounted price tag.
Thanks a lot for your detailed impressions !
(hope it`s ok to have it tailored in quote)
Would love to read some reports on other McDSP components this way.

I remember riding with George`s fabulous Black Friday thread
I complained McDSP sales are without vst support, otherwise I may have jumped in after demo.
And now .... voilà !

The most exciting for 2014 / 2015 is,
devs are now going vst which have been exclusively part of the Pro Tools domain,
like Massey, Air Music, Metric Halo, McDSP and so on.

And they bring substantial gain into vst world, not just a good name,
the more I play around with Massey CT5, Tapehead, MH Channelstrip,
the more I appreciate their years of developing experience and the results.

I am sure there are gems on the McDSP palette as well.
The question about NFR should be clarified indeed.
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

Thanks guys!

Eddie, it's funny that you mention CT5 because I have been recently leaning mostly on Nebula compressors as of late or at least appreciating the grabby action that they seem to excel at more so than their algorithmic counterparts. But the one algo compressor I feel I just can't do without is CT5. In fact I ended up getting jbridge almost just for this plug. What I love about the CT5 is that it can really smack somehow a lot more than the typical algo compressor and even when all settings are flat, it adds a pleasant color that sometimes is an improvement over the flat signal, much like how I think of a lot of what various Tube Tech hardware units do. I like a little more control with the full comp parameters on bass and distorted guitars but that CT5 is phenomenal on a drum bus (the blend feature is extremely handy for parallel compression) and can be what the doctor ordered for vocals and acoustic guitars with its leveling ability and ease of use.

chokehold that is one heck of a description of the 6030. Really appreciate you posting. Most of the praise I see surrounding the 6030 is quite vague. Now I can at least get an idea of what I can expect if I decide to spend the time installing and demoing. It's nice to see this old coding holding up well in 2015 after all these years and think its great that you are still finding it be quite useful in the time that you have had it.

Omkar, I am right on point with you on thinking that its great that these developers making their plugins accessible in vst format is nothing short of awesome. I only wish that those Propellerhead guys weren't so stingy on avoiding vst. That seems like a cool DAW with a lot of near features and plugins but it's far too limiting in its current format and they don't seem to be listening to their customers that are crying for vst support or at least allowing third party developers that might consider creating a Reason chainer that could host vsts. I know the idea was thrown around with Mux and it seems Propellerhead just won't bite. In the end, their loss.

Looking forward to seeing what's in store with all these great developments in 2015!

AC222 wrote:But the one algo compressor I feel I just can't do without is CT5.
Going a bit OT:
I was reading somewhere the one responsible for vst at Massey has left
and to see 64bit versions may be heavily delayed or far away.
But I am not talking hard facts.
Anyway, the bridged vst`s are working so smooth as if they are native 64bit already.

Back to topic:
I`d love to see especially some detailed impressions on Analog Channel
from someone who worked with it over the time.

The FutzBox does obviously what it does, not so sure on Analog Channel.
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

Great news. I often see sales on mcdsp plugins, but I just have to admire from a distance. Will be cool to check these out for myself finally. They're really highly acclaimed.

Hoping things will move faster than the Massey ports. I purchased Tapehead. I love it, but development is rather slow. I requested mousewheel support an aeon ago, and am still waiting.

One feature that really appeals to me on both the 6020 and 6030 is the way you can switch modules without them losing their settings. A great way to audition different comps or EQs on the fly to find the appropriate design.

Anyone managed to install Futzbox on windows?
Installer doesn't give option for installation path...

On Mac OS here so can't help with the installation, sorry, but I'm buying Futzbox after demoing it for a short time. Love it, so I hope you get a chance to demo it.
Have you contacted McDSP support yet?

Yep, just contacted them...

In my case, the McDSP plugs were in VST3 form, and thus will install where your other VST3s go. If your DAW doesn't support VST3 (e.g. Reaper), you're out of luck, unfortunately.

I've tried a few of these in Studio One on a PC and they seem to work well. Not sure yet if there are any that will supersede what I've already got -- most of them are a bit long in the tooth -- but that Futzbox is a lot of fun!

Cheers,
Eddie
Last edited by Eddie TX on Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The future exists in all directions.

Hope they get you sorted. Some great plugins to be had for tracking and mixing.

Eddie TX wrote:In my case, the McDSP plugs were in VST3 form, and thus will install where your other VST3s go. If your DAW doesn't support VST3 (e.g. Reaper), you're out of luck, unfortunately.

I've tried a few of these in Studio One on a PC and they seem to work well. Not sure yet if there are any that will supersede what I've already got -- most of them are a bit long in the tooth -- but that Futzbox is a lot of fun!

Cheers,
Eddie
Also tried with Studio one...no luck.
Are you on 32 or 64bit?

Selfik wrote:
Eddie TX wrote:In my case, the McDSP plugs were in VST3 form, and thus will install where your other VST3s go. If your DAW doesn't support VST3 (e.g. Reaper), you're out of luck, unfortunately.

Cheers,
Eddie
Also tried with Studio one...no luck.
Are you on 32 or 64bit?
64-bit. I'm assuming you've set your VST scan to include the VST3 folder.
The future exists in all directions.

The VST2 files get put in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steinberg\VST2 and C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Steinberg\VST2 by default. I just copied them out of those folders into my plugins folder.

Already tried everything above...I'm on 32...must be that :?
Can anyone confirm?

Omkar wrote: One can see McDSP to be first timer on vst developement,
the installers do not provide an option of path and installs right away
where they are supposed to be on a regular usage.

Vst2`s (32bit and 64bit) as described by "gathda" above,
placing them to the customed vst folder does the job.

Vst3`s (32bit and 64bit) are installed to the default folder(s)
and recognized when vst3`s are included by daw.

I think they will fix that by the time.

In case of S1, the vst3`s are recognized after install (32bit and 64bit)
and if vst2`s are an option, they will work after replacement.

What I feel sad about is not having vst2 presets
and the vst3 presets, sitting in "my documents",
are not recognized by the vst3 plugin(s),
which means calling each preset separately per hand and is no fun.

A few questions came to my mind:
are there default vst3 preset folders for the plugins to be recognized ?
could it be the Futzbox goes into the direction of Audioease Speakerphone ?
Due to missing vst2 presets, found a workaround in S1:

Drag and drop the vst3 presets into a track and save them.
They will be saved as vst2 presets and can be tabbed browsed as regular.
Costs an hour or two, but thats the deal for now.

Also forgot to mention, cpu (Futzbox and others) is ridiculous low !
Last edited by Omkar on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”