Best free Mini Moog emulation?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There's a huge list here, but which do any of you actually use? Can any open real presets? http://blog.wavosaur.com/best-free-vst- ... emulation/

Thanks.

free no contest it has to be prodigious its a model of a prodigy by moog, great for leads

http://www.vst4free.com/index.php?dev=Synthescience&l=0 it can be found here and the other bad ass synth from synthcience is there as well as a lot of fx they created, shame they shut down.

https://web.archive.org/web/20131004233 ... nloads.htm

Well at least gunnars site is now available on Internet archive some MOD should out this in the link on the KVR listing for this synth.

Ragnarök is obviously not a MiniMoog emu, but it is certainly capable of many signature MiniMoog sounds (it's initial design was partly aimed at that). Of course it's architecture is a bit more complex then the Mini, so it can do a lot more then 'just' MiniMoog style leads and basses ;)
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

yessongs wrote:free no contest
Unfortunately yes. Haven't come by any convincing free Minimoog. I never played one, but there's enough sound demos, videos and what not to be able to judge. It's probably not very close either, but for free you could check out the Elektrostudio Model Mini. It was the most fun and pleasing of the free clones for me. I also have the Arturia Mini V, but it sounds synthetic, and lacking in the bottom end to me. And the filter isn't really fun to play with too.

Obviously Minimonsta and Monark are the 2 kings and Monark is somewhat in higher regard by most users but you need reaktor from what I understand to modify the capabilities and use it in a polyphonic manner since it is monophonic. Minimonsta is a tad bit better than Mini V IMHO because it has morphing capabilities and Rick Wakeman developed a lot of his classic tones in the preset bank that comes with it.

A cheaper commercial moog is the memory moon from memory moon, I like their prophet based plugin messiah as well. last time I used it the demo restriction on their synths is a drop out of silence every so often and its not that noticeable for you to play with and if need be record and use an offset/ copy paste trick on another parallel track to then enable you to comp out the demo silence. a pain but if you got to have that track and do not have the paltry $30 to buy it or for $10 more get memory moon and messiah all the memory moon synths and many others are included with the mixcraft DAW. I use to own a memorymoog and this actually does remind me of my old synth except it does not go out of tune like that beast would. Yes you had to tune them back in the day. Nothing is really as fat sounding as the hardware but they can get close. It might help if you had a quality interface like an RME or Lynx or an ESI PCI or maybe the other top rated FW interface a Mackie Onyx Blackbird. USB interfaces other than RME suck balls. Then if you played into a bad ass loud amp to blast out the neighborhood and damage your hearing you might think it to sound closer to the real thing.
http://www.memorymoon.com/memorymoon.htm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpH8vKmSUE8

Then there is the Xhun audio plugin called Little one which I think attempts to model a little fatty. http://www.xhun-audio.com/site/xhun.php?page=littleone
https://soundcloud.com/xhun-audio

Prodigious and minimogue are definitely the 2 best free ones and there are some lead tones in prodigious that would give you a convincing argument if we had to duel it out with the other free moog synths. I tried the elektrostudio model and it just lacked the tone and feel that I am so familiar with. I have played on a lot of real moogs in my past and it felt and sounded nothing like what I remember. Now that I have found were the old archive of minimoque luxus is located I need to try the version that has the zero delay filter integrated into the luxus version which allows for overclocking and see how that holds up in comparison. It has been a while since I played it.

Your question was about a Minimoog emulation, and free. So even if I agree with all the things said above, I'll come back to your precise question.

There is no need to go on archive.org to get MinimogueVA.

MinimogueVA can be downloaded for free at the PluginBoutique (here, at version 2.0).

Gunnar Ekornas allowed me too to distribute it (here for those who would persist to doubt of my honesty). So you can have it here or here (free of course, and there is no need to log in) in a zip file containing MinimogueLUXUS-TD, MinimogueVA-TD, MinimogueLUXUS, MinimogueVA (all at the very last version in date, 2.3) with much more elements (a full copy of the website with its MP3 files and the free banks which were on the website, and the 15 pages soundchart (50 patches) of the Minimoog Model D that I sent to Gunnar last year, etc.)

The zip file is 26 Mb size. You have just to unzip it in a subdirectory of your usual plugins directory then unzip at your convenience the plugins it contains and it remains only to open your DAW... and here we go boys and girls!
Last edited by BlackWinny on Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Postby gunnare; Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:45 pm
Re: MinimogueVA website?
The home.no/gunnare webpage was a free service here in Norway. They deleted the account because of "Violation of rules". Maybe there was a link to my commercial pages that they did not like. So they deleted the page.

I dont intend to put up a new page until Synth-edit goes 64 bit/MAC.

All the best
gunnare

64 bit version will come then HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!!!!!

oh and Black whinny thanks for the extra download and hosting you offer these unselfish developers we need more people like you in this world as well as more talented devs to create free VSTI Thanks Gunnare one of these days I will get that package deal for memory moon and messiah hopefully my fortune comes in soon and I do that and a lot more.

personally i like and use MinimougeVA

then upgrade to the luxus version it sounds better I need to try the luxus td version to see what it does. I do know that the luxus version was a major upgrade in quality over the va version so hopefully the luxus td version is as well.

yessongs wrote:then upgrade to the luxus version it sounds better I need to try the luxus td version to see what it does. I do know that the luxus version was a major upgrade in quality over the va version so hopefully the luxus td version is as well.
Yeah went with this. The gilde sounds great.

My vote would be for Model Mini by ElektroStudio

was going to ask a question but I think I found the answer- dont see a delete option in edit mode for this reply

arkmabat wrote:Can any open real presets?
Is there a download link for real Minimoog presets somewhere?

sorry, couldn't resist, hehehe

Return to “Instruments”