And the winning DAW is ...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I admit, I've played the game.

Now, you'll excuse me....must work with the trial of reason :hihi:

'Paid subscription to get support, DRM with steam and cakewalk center, plus the NFR license.'

It's not Sony's rootkit or even iLok man - reasonable DRM - especially where it allows multiple machine and permanent access to the latest versions - is highly useful in the current century. Especially given how many toerags used cracked DAWs and VSTs - a lot of these companies are just getting by - Alchemy went down last week.

I'm more than happy to use non-invasive DRM services like Steam and the new Cakewalk one. I also understand that the price I pay factors in that's in not for resale. I am not a 12 year old looking to trade in my Call of Duty DVD for my X-Box.

Support is a little irritating in theory but in practice a non-issue to be honest - when was the last time you needed formal tech support on a DAW that had been out for more than 12 months? You just post in the forums and someone answers it anyway.

So basically you just buy/upgrade to the new Sonar in the same way as you would have done had Sonar X4 come out instead. You then get 12 months of updates/fixes/new features (like you would have done under an X4).

You can keep using the software after that time is up (like with an X4). You have the option of paying monthly instead at a cost of an extra 20% or so over the year - and after 12 months you again get to keep the software as it is at that point (or you can continue paying monthly to get ongoing updates/support or pay up front again for the next 12 months).

So it's not ''you can only rent our software and when you stop paying you can't use it' - it's not true SSAS at all.. it's just another payment option.

The rolling 12 month periods might be a little greedy as I'm not sure they kept to a strict 12 month new version cycle - but i imagine most of us will hold off (once the initial 12 months have passed) until they add a feature we really want...
Sonar Platinum, Ignite and Ableton Live 9 DAWS
AIR Hybrid 3, Synthmaster, Z3ta+2, Addictive Drums 2, True Piano Amber, Rapture, Dim Pro, BFD Eco, AAS Strum, Addictive Keys, Synth 1 VSTs
Nektar LX61, Korg MicroKey and Akai Pro LPD8 Pad

im looking forward to Reaper 5 myself.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”