Pocket Operator series [Teenage Engineering]

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone interested in these?

http://askaudiomag.com/articles/namm-20 ... tor-synths

They seem to pack a lot of punch. I know a lot of people think their OP-1 is over priced, but these are $69 $59. The site has them on back-order after selling out. I'm not sure which retailers will have them, but from what I've heard they will appear in stores worldwide in Feb.
Last edited by dark.nowhere on Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yup, ever since I found out they sync with the volcas, i'm interested in at least the bass one.

The SUB version sounds great ... shame there's no midi, but at the price can't complain.

If they become available in my country, I think I might be tempted to get PO-14 & PO-16. In the end they'd cost around 100E each (I need the cases as well, damn it), but they have that little extra special the Monotrons lacked (and kept me from buying any). Very cool stuff, unexpected move from TE and I'm glad they're giving Korg a run for their money. That could push them into releasing more affordable stuff in the near future as well :)
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

On the plus side, the way Europe is going, these are going to be cheap as chips in sterling pretty soon ;D

Yep, ordered the PO-12 and I'm impatient to get my hands on it.

Is there a way to tweak the sounds beyond adding FX? I read the manuals and didn't see anything about it.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:Is there a way to tweak the sounds beyond adding FX? I read the manuals and didn't see anything about it.
That was my concern... I watched a demo from NAMM and it appears your can only choose from a very limited number of pre-programmed sounds.

They look fun, but not sure if I'll jump on these or not. I added them to my wishlist as I have b-day approaching, but aside from receiving as a gift, I don't know that I'd buy them.

They are parametric... but each sound only has two parameters I believe. I don't think the idea is to stuff a microkorg into a small package... more like take some sounds and shape them, lay down a groove. Plus the filters and other effects sound great so I'm sold.

Yep. Bought as well...they'll work fine for what I have planned....
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Are there any iOS apps that work in the same way? I find the way people play these hypnotic and it looks really fun. I'd like an inexpensive entry to get into it.

They're pretty cheap to begin with. I sorta doubt you will find anything that works much like a TE product but you might be able to find something that uses parameter locks, which I think is probably what is causing the effect you're seeing with the way people use them.

My PO-12 (Rhythm) just arrived today. It's a fun little beast. Unfortunately the "A" pot on mine tends to wobble all over the place uselessly (clearly a defect, I'll see if anything can be done that doesn't involve mailing it back to Sweden and waiting for another three months -- maybe they can just send me the part and I can swap it myself?)

For putting together a wonky little groove and then resampling it, you can't beat it at the price, even with a f**ked-up parameter knob. I'd post some examples but I need to dig through my box of cables to interface it.

UI is very weird in some ways, intuitive-ish in others. The FX system, limited thought it might be, works well for the task at hand.

'disturbing' - so, what, if you were playing these out on stage,
you'd have a little product rack you could hang them on once you've
finished tweaking it and moving to the next one?

It's got a little wire stand on the back that props it up. Also you can buy cases for them, but that's $40 which seems kind of wrong when the device itself is $49.

Even with the case though I wouldn't play out with one of them anyway. it's just too tiny and fiddly. It's more of a toy for sparking ideas, and something to sample. (Building a beat live with step sequencers isn't my idea of an engaging performance anyway, though.)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”