Introducing the new SONAR: New lineup, new features, plus membership

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SONAR SONAR X3 Producer

Correct. X3 and 2015 can co-exist on the same computer. Like previous versions, you have to manually uninstall the previous version if you no longer want it on your machine.

poonna wrote:
She Changed Her Mind wrote:Considering next year.. from what upgrade does someone have to pay, if that person is planning to use Sonar only a few months based on this 12 month's concept? And which month's upgrade will they use if they won't start in january?
Example: Let's say someone wants to pay for september only. Which upgrade does this customer get?
Next year the same customer does the same. They want to use Sonar regarded to september only.
Does this customer pay only for two terms in this case?
Or for thirteen months? Or even sixteen....???
And again.. which month's upgrade will be used in both cases to start with?
I guess that makes a big difference lol
If they want to use Sonar only in September, then subscribe for monthly membership on September, and cancel the next month when they are done using it. Next year do the same. They will be paying only like $19 a year for that. It's just that it will revert to demo after September, but that's not a problem if they only want to use it in September.

Regarding version, it will always be the latest version, whichever it is.

Assuming they already have a version of Sonar, of course, so they get the $19 upgrade price. Otherwise it will be $49 a month for the new user.
Thank you. It's just that I was not familiar with this concept. If they just presentated like: 'hey this is what you want and need to know about it.'
==-You won't get the usual support of a boxed - or downloaded software product until the next major release, like in the traditional way, but you can use it whenever you want to use it. On a monthly basis. And if you want to keep the full release after a year, you have to pay cash in advance (discount) or in 12 terms by subscription. After the last term has been paid and the 12 months have passed, you have to subscribe again for further support of your purchase -==
As far as I get it by now.

Downloaded and installed today. Quick and clean.
The Command Center is a vast improvement over the old system.

I'm only seeing "Buy Now" options. where is the Demo?

https://www.cakewalk.com/products/SONAR/

poonna wrote: Not really. Since you wanted to use it for only one month in the whole year, you wouldn't really need to own it (which requires you to pay a full 12-month period). In this case, you could just subscribe for the month you would use it. In other words, you could just rent it.

In their own words (Cakewalk FAQ):
If I choose Monthly Membership payments, can I cancel before 12 Months?

Yes, but 12 consecutive monthly payments are required to permanently activate SONAR and any updates you have received. If you cancel payment or don’t pay for at least 12 months, SONAR will revert to demo mode. This means you can’t save or export projects, however anything you saved up to that point will still open and play in the demo. Once you resume payments, you can make new edits and save them.

"Yes, you can come back any time and pay the Renewal rate. If you choose to renew Monthly payments, you will need to complete an additional 12 consecutive months to permanently activate the latest update you have received. "

But I could be wrong reading something lurking into this. After 12 months paying you can keep what you've got and don't need to be a member etc.

So it's some kind of monthly payment, and after 12 months it's like you bought that license and it does not expire anymore. It just expire and revert to demo if aborting payment before 12 months.

If you keep paying monthly you may abort. And it's here it become difficult to grasp - because it does not revert to demo mode then, and is the very first statement you quoted that you do. But seems this is only under certain cirumstances.

Long story short: Pay monthly, and abort when you like the first year - and this revert to demo mode when stop paying. When payed at least 12 consequtive months you are to keep that as permanent license that does not revert to demo anymore, just to previous version fulfilling 12 months.

I think it's a very gentle policy. Lowering threshold for those that want to go beyond their account right now - and sort of grow into a full license. But if you pay month and don't continue until 12 months it's wasted money more or less, you can work in latest version as a member but don't qualify for permanent license as you do.

Example. Pay monthly for 4 months, and then abort for two months. You can work fully for these 4 months with latest version, then it revert to demo. After two month aborted start paying and you can work with latest version again, but previous 4 months does not qualify for a 12 months period so that i wasted.

The idea is rather clever giving both parties some momentum. And if having that need for just a month or two with Sonar you can do that too - so I was wrong about that and poonna right.

And the really good part is that the monthly method is not that much more expensive. If taking the Avid case into this - it's almost double price with the monthly bit.

memyselfandus wrote:I'm only seeing "Buy Now" options. where is the Demo?

No demo.

firepile wrote:
memyselfandus wrote:I'm only seeing "Buy Now" options. where is the Demo?

No demo.
That's hilarious. so basically it's currently $19.99 to try Sonar out now.

Lol, it's rather stupid yes: there is no demo. However.. there is a loop. Yay!

Cakewalk usually lags putting the demo out there. There will most likely be one as there's always been a demo, but it might take a few weeks (if past experience is any guide).

I beg to differ; a demo is a demo. Not a loop.

There will be a demo, according to one of their reps. They hope to release a demo soon after each update, but they usually lagged behind quite a bit in the past.
Peace, my friends. I'm not seeking arguments here. ;)

The truth of the matter is: you can 'buy it today' as mentioned in their self-exclamation at their homepage. If you click on 'buy it today' you have the option to 'buy it now'. Maybe it's me, but you won't buy anything.. yet. So it's a plain lie. Whatever someone might state or not is not related to any discussion. If there is still an appetite for denial in this case, well.. maybe they are religious or fan. Who knows.
Just saying what their sites states: the essential 'info' regarded to the 'purchase' of their 'product'. Well.. they can't do much else than proceed this way as was once defined, and thus executed by their CEO, as outcome of their OWN decision. Don't say that decision was made in ANY relationship towards possible future customers. Pure bollocks. However, they made it sound that way by stating: 'we know that some of you do have little money'. Little wonder lol, because the statement is both corrupted and thus highly manipulative as is the 'purchase' of Cakewalk's product..... In fact.
You'll buy; into a straight market option, though you do not even have knowledge about your share yet, the opportunity, let's stand you have knowledge about how to handle your share! It's pure ignorance and most speculative behaviour. They both go together.. hand in hand. Q.e.d. By matters of good trust, right? Okidoki then it is up to you. Whatever. I won't stop no one. I have little reason to become paranoid about these matters :D

poonna wrote:There will be a demo, according to one of their reps. They hope to release a demo soon after each update, but they usually lagged behind quite a bit in the past.
They already have a demo ready. If you cancel the "membership", SONAR will revert to demo mode. You just can't download it without paying for one month "membership" first.

She Changed Her Mind wrote:The truth of the matter is: you can 'buy it today' as mentioned in their self-exclamation at their homepage. If you click on 'buy it today' you have the option to 'buy it now'. Maybe it's me, but you won't buy anything.. yet. So it's a plain lie.
It's just you.

If you "Buy Now" and pay the upfront cost, then you immediately own the license. Period. That version will never revert to demo mode. So, yes, you really buy it.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”