Waldorf Music at NAMM 2015: Nave for PC/Mac, Waldorf Edition 2, Attack for iOS, nw1 Eurorack module

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nave Waldorf Edition: Attack Waldorf Edition: D-Pole Waldorf Edition: PPG Wave 2.V

Ingonator wrote:There were already tons of discussions about the eLicenser in the past and this time i'll not participate in those discussions. For the usal "haters" it does not seem to matter if it actually works nicely or not...
Kind of a weird response. Thanks for letting me know you won't be participating. I've missed the previous discussions, but if you could point me to one, then I wouldn't have to waste anyone's time.

dreadnought wrote:For anyone currently using the Waldorf products, what's your experience been like with the eLicenser DRM thingie? That's what the new stuff will use, right? I really love Nave on my iPad, and have been looking forward to a PC version, but was hoping there would just be a serial number or challenge/response activation. Is eLicenser always running on your machine, even if you're not using any VSTs? Does it load automatically when you start the computer, or does it only load when you instantiate the synth? Once it loads, does it continue to use CPU cycles? Have you seen it interfere in any way, or is it pretty much transparent? I'm just so skeptical about that sort of DRM since I remember from the early days of Pace how awful it was and how it could really mess up your computer.

Thanks,
Dan
I use the eLicenser since as long as I can remember (at least since when Steinberg started to use it, replacing their own key). It never caused me problems in the operating system level, and only once did I have to send a broken key back to replace my licenses. I got them replaced and another key back with no extra charges (which was not what happened with Pace and iLOK).

Regarding performance, I never noticed that the eLicenser caused any degradation. And considering that Cubase is using it, and is probably the most used DAW in the world, that could mean something to you.
Fernando (FMR)

dreadnought wrote:
Ingonator wrote:There were already tons of discussions about the eLicenser in the past and this time i'll not participate in those discussions. For the usal "haters" it does not seem to matter if it actually works nicely or not...
Kind of a weird response. Thanks for letting me know you won't be participating. I've missed the previous discussions, but if you could point me to one, then I wouldn't have to waste anyone's time.
Does it matter to you that i got Largo since around 2009, PPG Wave 3.V since 2011 and also the Nave Beta and never got any problem with the USB eLicenser with those?

Recently re-installed my desktop PC and no prpblem with my eLicenser protected software. Just install the latest eLicenser software, plug the dongle in and done...

With C/R i had a few WTF?? experiences and even entering a bunch of serials for different took much longer than i had to care about the eLicenser protected ones.

Anyway using the soft eLicenser with the license stored at your HD obviously could lead to a few problems which includes e.g. loosing the license at a HD crash or using the license at multiple computers (with the dongle you just plug it in into the other computer (if the plugins and the eLicenser software are installed there).
Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

dreadnought wrote:For anyone currently using the Waldorf products, what's your experience been like with the eLicenser DRM thingie? That's what the new stuff will use, right? I really love Nave on my iPad, and have been looking forward to a PC version, but was hoping there would just be a serial number or challenge/response activation. Is eLicenser always running on your machine, even if you're not using any VSTs? Does it load automatically when you start the computer, or does it only load when you instantiate the synth? Once it loads, does it continue to use CPU cycles? Have you seen it interfere in any way, or is it pretty much transparent? I'm just so skeptical about that sort of DRM since I remember from the early days of Pace how awful it was and how it could really mess up your computer.

Thanks,
Dan
Its completely transparent. A few CPU cycles are certainly used, but its so infinitesimal that its unnoticeable on any modern PC ( post y2k actually). Ime.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

dreadnought wrote:
Which of the hundreds of threads do you wish to be linked to?

Btw, even on an ancient computer (single core and likes), you won't have to bother about CPU cycles being used by ANY copy protection. It's totally neglectable.

dreadnought wrote:what's your experience...
Transparent, and never had any issues.
But you should post this in an existing topic* about elicenser, or make your own.
*=use the search function

Seems like folks aren't happy that I brought this up, or that I brought it up in this thread, or that I didn't just search for an existing conversation about eLicenser. Since I've been watching this particular thread about Nave on the PC, and since there were obviously folks present who had been using Waldorf products for some time with the eLicenser protection, it seemed like a natural context to ask the question. I'm sorry to those who disagree. I'm pretty confident that I haven't permanently derailed the thread, though, so hopefully no harm done.

Thanks for the feedback about eLicenser, though. I really want Nave for my PC, so I feel like I just needed a little encouragement that eLicenser wasn't a complete fiasco. I realize it's been around and been widely used for long enough now that any issues should have been ironed out long ago. I'll probably go ahead and give it a try.

What about the upgrade path from Waldorf Edition LE ?

dreadnought wrote: Thanks for the feedback about eLicenser, though. I really want Nave for my PC, so I feel like I just needed a little encouragement that eLicenser wasn't a complete fiasco.
Well, arguing like you need a little encouragement to feel like eLicenser "wasn't a complete fiasco", you don't have to wonder about negative reactions from people who don't think it's a complete fisaco.... why should it be a complete fiasco? Because some idiots say so? Sorry if that sounds harsh, but you shouldn't trust any feel-strongs, and people who claim they speak for the majority, while all they do is trying to push their weird minority opinion onto others. The internet is full of these people nowadays. It sucks to say the least.

And if you care about my opinion on eLicenser: Never had a problem with it. Neither with the software eLicenser, nor with the USB eLicenser. If you don't have a political problem with it, or a lack of USB ports, i'd go with it. It's not the most hassle free option, but it's not problematic in my experience either.

About elicenser:

If I have to reinstall because of changing computers or formating I know I have to use a physical dongle. But then can I drop the license again in elicenser to avoid using USB ports?
dedication to flying

Nope. Once it's on the USB eLicenser, you can't drop it back into the software licenser.

chk071 wrote:Nope. Once it's on the USB eLicenser, you can't drop it back into the software licenser.

That certainly sucks, specially for a laptop set up.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:
chk071 wrote:Nope. Once it's on the USB eLicenser, you can't drop it back into the software licenser.

That certainly sucks, specially for a laptop set up.
Weird. I'm able to move it back and forth from the USB eLicenser to the hard drive. Are you sure you're doing it right?

-Sam

Yes you can. You can transfer between soft eLicenser and USB eLicenser. I did that already. The eLicenser control application shows both and it's just a matter of drag and drop from one to the other.
Fernando (FMR)

edit
Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Return to “Instruments”