Poll: Omnisphere interface

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

How do you like Omnisphere User Interface?

It's excellent
47%
It's good enough
29%
It's hard to use but you become familiar with it
12%
I don't tweak sounds a lot because the UI gets in the way
3%
I don't use Omni a lot because of the UI
8%

Total votes: 59

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Omni2 GUI is different throughout..but subtly. Aside from the obvious size change, everything is flatter and less fussy. It produces a slightly more modern look without a complete re-work. Things like the arp look much better with the black background verses the current polished metal texture.

Still some odd mis-matches between flat and 3d elements though. Perhaps there will be more tweaks before release.

danbroad wrote:I always wanted Trillion-like macro controls [see also: Massive, Alchemy etc etc...]

The Orb doesn't do it for me, because most controllers [including the one Eric demonstrated with at NAMM 2015, the Remote SL2] have only rotaries or pots. In order to use the Orb, you need to have your iPad connected, automating it in a DAW I found a PITA. I'd rather have 8 macros which map wonderful things to the sound rather than one Orb.

Still, I'll be upgrading and I'm sure I'll love it. The sound lock feature will be well used for sure.
I'm so happy with the Trilian-specific macros being in Omnisphere 2. I'm one of the few people I've seen that I almost use Trilian exclusively out side of Omnisphere because it's so quick to dial-in the electric & acoustic basses with them.

I don't think you're going to have those macros on Omnisphere's Main Page though. First of all the parameters you are able to change in the Main Page of Trilian are very limited, and in Omnisphere that would be stifling (and changing them would take as much time to route them now) - you're really going to need the Edit Page to barely scratch its surface. I personally don't touch Omnisphere's Main Page.

I've always loved the Omnisphere GUI and it has improved in 2, the browser improvements with the new Lock features make the gazillion sounds so much more accessible.

Yup, best UI of any soft synth by a mile. Apart from the really esoteric, I struggle to think of any other regular synth that emphatically doesn't model itself on hardware (either specific or generic). It's very significant that Eric has spent years in hardware, yet chose to go an entirely different UI path in software. Very smart.

It plays to a computer's strength. Clean, easy to see what's what. The zoom in to detail zoom out to macro is the greatest thing.

Glad to see it polling so highly.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote:Yup, best UI of any soft synth by a mile. Apart from the really esoteric, I struggle to think of any other regular synth that emphatically doesn't model itself on hardware (either specific or generic). It's very significant that Eric has spent years in hardware, yet chose to go an entirely different UI path in software. Very smart.

It plays to a computer's strength. Clean, easy to see what's what. The zoom in to detail zoom out to macro is the greatest thing.

Glad to see it polling so highly.
Thanks for the responses.

For me FAW Circle and Fabfilter Twin2 have superb interfaces but they are simple synths compared to Omnisphere (to an extent), I don't like Skeumorphic interfaces that much except for emulations.

For example I really can't know how deep is omnisphere or the signal path just looking at its GUI, that IMHO is a failure. It seems that it doesn't want to show it's a synth at all.

Frankly it seems Omnisphere, as some of you point out, is more geared toward ease of use by getting deep control out of the way, but it makes more complicated to edit the synth fast. In fact I would say it mimics the interface in modern hardware with large screens, as kronos for example.

What worries me is that you can't see at once important controls and the knobs are not even clear since they are very small, also the vertical sliders are not as clear as horizontal ones: Where is the max value to the right or left? With an horizontal slider you know the top is the max value and that's it.

In the new version the browser no longer is the way of the main interface so it's large improvement, some tabs seem improved too.

Probably I am GUI Nazi but I think usability is really important in software or it sits unused.
dedication to flying

I have Omni and no doubt I shall acquire the upgrade. It will be much more useful to me with the sidebar browser. Not a huge fan of the GUI. Someone mentioned that it was idiot proof. Pity I'm a fool.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

werp wrote:I have Omni and no doubt I shall acquire the upgrade. It will be much more useful to me with the sidebar browser. Not a huge fan of the GUI. Someone mentioned that it was idiot proof. Pity I'm a fool.
If you don't like the interface, you don't like it. For people who have never wanted to, or have never tried, or aren't very good at programming a synth Omnisphere has been a whipping-boy for old-school synthesists because it includes provisions for people that think they want to only load presets.

It's always been an absurd argument, but Omnisphere was always conceived as a synth that does things differently - and not the end-all, be-all.

We haven't even seen everything Omni 2 can do in the videos, or how exactly the interface works yet.

DJ Warmonger wrote:Omnisphere interface was meant to be simple and idiotproof. Not my kind of thing, but I think they suceeded at that.
it was meant to be a simple "rompler" interface, but to also have the ability to edit the sounds beyond nexus niveau. agree they suceeded well at that.

Return to “Instruments”