Resampling a synth for personal use -- is it legal?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yes, it's legal.

Okay... Look at this way:

If you recorded a SONG using ONLY that synth--maybe just an ambient pad or something, and then you sold that synth, would you even consider the possibility of it being illegal for you to playback that song, or re-use it as you needed? Of course not.

Whether you are "sampling" it or just "recording" it in a song, what we're talking about is a recording, plain and simple.

If you're not re-selling the samples you're making, there should be no question at all. Yes, it is legal. Roland/Korg/Yamaha/etc. may TRY to tell you otherwise, but it's all just BS.

And again... see mine and other comments pointing out the "nobody is ever going to find out anyway" argument, leave law to the lawyers, and get busy writing some music with your synth!
Last edited by sockofgold on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fidelity wrote:I know it isn't legal to resample a wave-based synth for use in distributed sample libraries, but I have a synth that I'm going to be selling soon and I like some of the patches on there.

Would it be illegal for me to resample it for strictly my own personal use in my music and creating new patches which won't be distributed? If it is, please explain what portion of the law it violates -- I'm having a tough time figuring it out.

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide.
if you dont tell anyone, who's gonna know?

Kriminal wrote:
Fidelity wrote:I know it isn't legal to resample a wave-based synth for use in distributed sample libraries, but I have a synth that I'm going to be selling soon and I like some of the patches on there.

Would it be illegal for me to resample it for strictly my own personal use in my music and creating new patches which won't be distributed? If it is, please explain what portion of the law it violates -- I'm having a tough time figuring it out.

Well, I sorta just told everyone :P Anyways, thanks for the responses -- looks like it's doable. Time to put that extra computer to work (I'm gonna miss my audio interface -- firewire 410 just doesn't sound the same)
Last edited by Fidelity on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fidelity wrote:
Kriminal wrote:

Well, I sorta just told everyone :P
my lips are sealed :wink:

Last edited by DarylWise on Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pending for years.

arkmabat wrote:Pending for years.
Probably....smh :(

Sample anything you want, do not be timid about it.

Time comes to sell what you've made, let the suits sort it out. Otherwise, it's private use and no one's business but your own.

Kriminal wrote:
Fidelity wrote:
Kriminal wrote:
Well, I sorta just told everyone :P
my lips are sealed :wink:
My lips are sealed too. Roland/Korg/Yamaha couldn't get it out of me even if they beat my face repeatedly with a rubber hose. Sample away my friend :hihi:

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Last edited by DarylWise on Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Last edited by DarylWise on Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

It depends on where you live. If you're in the US, in some states you are allowed to posses and carry a certain amount of user samples for "personal use". Just do it in your own home. As long as you're not selling it on the street corner, no one is going to know or care.

However, I want to stress that just because something is not illegal, it doesn't mean it's right for you. While many people enjoy recreational sampling with no side-effects, a select few will experience varying degrees of paranoia.

Also please note, professionals disagree on the long term effects of user sampling. There just isn't enough info yet to determine what, if any, are the possible long term and even permanent effects.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Logic has proven to be contradictory. Pure logic. So good luck finding a black-and-white blueprint for the legal maze of copyright.

I'd say go for it. You own the synth. You record yourself playing the synth. You sell the synth. Do you now have to destroy all the recordings featuring the synth? No. Of course not. You're just not allowed to use the sounds in a commercial sample library.

Of course, if you have enough money and the right lawyer, you can pretty much prove it's right, wrong or indifferent.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”