Avid Pro Tools 12

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Novalis wrote:
Orbit-50 wrote: Yeah but they never do any real updates. What? 64 bit? The plugins have been basically the same forever. No real value there for me.
Well, then just don't renew your WUP!
Problem solved.
Waves WUP is definitely NOT a subscription model.
It's plain nonsense to claim that.
Ok. Thanks for the info. I won't renew my WUP and I won't claim nonsense. How's that? Feel better? You're welcome!

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Dang. I was reading a loooong thread on the GS site and it seems there are tons of current Pro Tools users that are boycotting this and even pros looking to jump ship. It seems that smaller pro studio owners feel ignored and there's not enough compelling reasons for amateurs and hobbyists to jump on board for the asking price. That leaves the higher end market but it seems that even some from the higher end are switching if they can and for those that can't plan to use their "old" hd versions forever as the main feature seems to be the whole cloud thing that few are even intrigued by at this point.

It's hard to imagine AVID sticking around for another ten years with this kind of outlook. But who knows, they have managed this long so....What I didn't come away with was a clear picture of where some of those expensive post-production facilities will be going to for those that can and will jump ship. From what I gather, it seems the most popular choices are Logic (majority of these pro studios must be running on Apple?) and Cubase. Doesn't seem to be a lot of people considering DAWS beyond this for whatever reason and I'd like to know why.

I wonder why these versus a Studio One, Sonar, or Samplitude (maybe because it caters to Windows users?) can't become the industry standard. Anyways, I'm finding this to be quite an interesting thread. Only time will tell where things are headed.

I just wish once, I could be the car. I always have to be that stupid hat.

Avid seem to be making a lot of terrible decisions in the last few years.

I wonder what they are thinking (or smoking) at Avid... :party:

Novalis wrote:Avid seem to be making a lot of terrible decisions in the last few years.

I wonder what they are thinking (or smoking) at Avid... :party:
I wouldn't mind if they joined the human race as a start.

Looked at Nasdaq right now, and down 3.5% first 30 minutes.
No annual report or Q4 report yet, that is done by most listed companies like last week or mid january even.

Stalling this more will make investors even more nervous. They stalled march 2012 until june 2014 because numbers and spreadsheets showed catastroph.

I'm not hoping for a downfall - I'm hoping they reconsider their customer relations as relations - not dictatorship. Avid being a little bit more like everybody else(well, most...).

julioelgenio wrote:Freeze Track confirmed!

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-pa ... store.html
Woohoo, they are slowly, painfully slowly, possibly still, eventually adding features all the other host already have. :party: :hihi:

What a joke.

There are so many great things about pro-tools and so many things they could/should change to streamline and improve the worklfow. Focusing on cloud sharing will be great for a very select few. Pro Tools is not even the only player in this realm (hello Ohm Studio).

I don't hope for their downfall either, but I do hope they sober up soon and focus on features that benefit a larger demographic (it'll help sales).

elxsound wrote: Woohoo, they are slowly, painfully slowly, possibly still, eventually adding features all the other host already have. :party: :hihi:

What a joke.
Well, it is - but in their defense, a bit - I listened to some interviews with Avid people and the challenges they faced doing PT 11 and off-line bounce/render.

And the off-line bounce thingy is necessity to create track freeze somehow.

The position they have in studio industry also means they need to support and range of hardware DSP out there.

A common daw can implement track freeze and say:
- well, it doesn't work if having UAD or other type of hardware DSP

But that would be useless in all the big studios out there having such a feature not supporting hardware. So to some degree I can understand it takes time to implement.

But investors trust is really going down - Avid was down 6.5% - on one market day as of yesterday.

They now released a lot of news, ProTools Free, PT 12 etc to possibly put focus somewhere else - but investors are looking for new reports that is not arriving.

But isn't anyone else even close to thinking like me? It's 2015. Not 1992. Some of the features mising in daws is .... weird. Though I can appreciate people liking that the freeze function is there, it's something I hoped for back when they were doing mpowered. Oh man....I'm old.

lfm wrote:But investors trust is really going down - Avid was down 6.5% - on one market day as of yesterday.
I wouldn't put too much store in Avid's share price going in either direction. They got kicked off the main markets when they 'fessed up to their accounts being in such a mess they had no idea how much money they'd made or lost. They're now traded on the so-called Pink Sheets, which is the Wild West of investing. A lot of penny-stock scams rely on this market because it's poorly regulated and volatile, and therefore easy to game. A single shareholder selling out can shift the price significantly, so there's not much you can read into the trends.

However, having said all that, any investors left may be scratching their heads at Avid's plans. It's like they're in a plane and decided to aim for the Moon, ignoring the stall alarms.

Gamma-UT wrote:
lfm wrote:But investors trust is really going down - Avid was down 6.5% - on one market day as of yesterday.
They're now traded on the so-called Pink Sheets, which is the Wild West of investing. A lot of penny-stock scams rely on this market because it's poorly regulated and volatile, and therefore easy to game. A single shareholder selling out can shift the price significantly, so there's not much you can read into the trends.
I think they were relisted again in december some time.
They put up the reports until september and were in the green again. But now Q4 and annual were to be delivered - and no show so far.

In theory very few trades can change closing price a lot - but still they match trades from best ask and bid. So asking a really low price does not mean price drop that much - unless best bids are as low as well. They always match from best bidder(unless takeover deals and stuff).

As you said, really poor management for some years. But they knew figures were bad so they stalled report for 2 1/2 years and got unlisted because of it. Probably developing PT 11 delayed things and revenue went down.

I guess it's really hard to adapt to this new situation on market today - the really growing market is not where they had focus.

lfm wrote:I think they were relisted again in december some time.
Missed that. My mistake - I saw that they still had trading activity on OTC and didn't check Nasdaq.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”