Any Spectrasonics news?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Omnisphere 1

trimph1 wrote:Considering what I have seen elsewhere. When I upgrade my house I find I have to spend $$$. Check Pro-Tools or Sonar sometimes.
well, i haven't been able to afford to upgrade from logic 9 to logic x. that upgrade costs less, and gets me much, much more

again...i have no issue paying for an upgrade

Can't wait for 2.5.. :clown:

No, really.. :cry:
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

bluedad wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:i have just suggested that people not be forced into paying for 3000 sounds they might not want, and that there be a bit more concession to long-term customers
I haven't seen anywhere that you're being forced to pay anything. You say you've enjoyed Omni 1, so keep on enjoying it.
actually, i have already made it quite clear that if omni 1 continues to be supported, even if only for os compatibility, then i will stick with it. it was perfect for me before namm, and that has not changed (seriously, couldn't think of one extra feature I needed)

unfortunately, i don't imagine that will happen. osx is a fickle beast, and i think that in the not too distant future, i will be forced to update or have to ditch it :shrug:

seeing as i am clearly the only one who isn't wide-eyed and drooling in anticipation, crying "take my money !!", i'll leave you all to it.

The $100.00 difference I spoke of was for first time buyers now...
The price between buying Version 1 and getting the upgrade free (approx. $350.00) or getting Version 2 pre-ordered with online discounts showing the total for approx. $450.00

As far as I can tell, the MSRP has always been $499.00 and the MAP slightly lower @ $479.00.
Although a few dealers were selling it @ approx. $420.00 this last year before the Version 2 announcement.

BBFG# wrote:The $100.00 difference I spoke of was for first time buyers now...
The price between buying Version 1 and getting the upgrade free (approx. $350.00) or getting Version 2 pre-ordered with online discounts showing the total for approx. $450.00

As far as I can tell, the MSRP has always been $499.00 and the MAP slightly lower @ $479.00.
Although a few dealers were selling it @ approx. $420.00 this last year before the Version 2 announcement.
That is accurate.

I don't really have a problem with a bunch of gripes in this or the other thread currently going. Hell, these threads seem almost genteel which is highly unusual for a Spectrasonics thread here.

I was hoping for an RMX revamp, but I've been saying for almost a year it was going to be Omnisphere 2, and it was going to cost me $199 (VIP).

It looks more than well worth it to me, but I can understand how an Omnisphere user would be a little upset about a $249 upgrade.

When I upgraded from Atmosphere for $149 my world radically changed and I seriously doubt any Omnisphere user is going to have that level of euphoria upgrading to 2 for $249.

I'm thrilled about Omni 2 (may take me awhile to buy it) but there's a lot coming with this update that we've only seen glimpses of in only 2 vids.

noiseboyuk wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
firepile wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:now, again....why am i, an almost 8-year loyal customer, being asked to pay $249 when those exact same features are being given away to new customers with only a slight price hike ?? or free
Isn't the use you have gotten out of Omnisphere in the last 4-5-6 years worth anything?
it is worth what i paid for it. no one told me we had to pay maintenance for yearly enjoyment :shrug:

but given that the people being asked to pay the most in total cost are the early-adopters, i guess that use is being taxed
So much for nevermind... Really, you've made your point relentlessly over the past few pages, now stooping to ludicrous arguments. Move on - go play with Omni 1 and use some of those features you haven't got round to using yet rather than keep on and on.

Certainly quite enough from me on this particular divergence. So many more interesting things to discuss re Omni 2 as well. Such as....

3rd party libraries. I think we'll see a real explosion in the next year now they can sample import too - hope there will be some real quality stuff. One bugbear of mine has been correct integration into Spectraonics' tagging and categories - I'd hope the major players would revisit their main libs and just reorganise them for the new tags for full Omni 2 compatibility. Wonder if Spectrasonics would release the full list of the different tags uses in the different categories ahead of time to help the devs?

For that matter - Trilian. Wonder if we'll get those patches retagged? Now front pages load in Omni 2, there's no real reason to load the Trilian plugin at all if you own Omni. Ditto the Moog expansion re tagging. Lots of questions for Spectrum, wonder if he'll have recovered from NAMM to pitch in on the boards next week?
In regard to 3rd party patches and sample import, something to think about. Because I ran into this problem with another synth.

Right now, when you create a patch for Omnisphere, it's based off of a sample or waveform already in the library. So anybody buying the patch library will have all the necessary audio on their machine.

With sample import, how are they going to access the necessary sample when they purchase the library? Will the sample actually be saved within the patch itself? Or will you have to create a separate folder to store all the samples you've imported and include that folder with any patch you sell?

I ask this because with another synth, the patches did not save the sample data. If you moved the patch to another computer, the user would come up with an error "wav file not found."

This is something that we as developers need to know BEFORE we start making patch libraries for Omni 2.

8)

wagtunes wrote:In regard to 3rd party patches and sample import, something to think about. Because I ran into this problem with another synth.

Right now, when you create a patch for Omnisphere, it's based off of a sample or waveform already in the library. So anybody buying the patch library will have all the necessary audio on their machine.

With sample import, how are they going to access the necessary sample when they purchase the library? Will the sample actually be saved within the patch itself? Or will you have to create a separate folder to store all the samples you've imported and include that folder with any patch you sell?

I ask this because with another synth, the patches did not save the sample data. If you moved the patch to another computer, the user would come up with an error "wav file not found."

This is something that we as developers need to know BEFORE we start making patch libraries for Omni 2.
Yes, agreed - we do very much need to know this. In the past 2 years in particular the 3rd party market has really matured and we have several developers who make things of really high quality - The Unfinished, Plughugger and PluginGuru (though the latter's naming and tagging continues to irritate me, sonically they've made some crackers, esp. Toxic). I've little doubt that they'd make even more killer patches without using sample import using the new synthesis options, but it would be so good if they were allowed that free reign.

Do hope Spectrum reruns here after NAMM, we can start getting a lot of these questions answered.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Something to consider is monetary inflation. A helpful tool can be found here - http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

In terms of actual value the sale price of Omnisphere 2 has decreased in comparison to the actual value of the sale price of Omnisphere 1 at launch. In 2008 dollars Omnisphere 2 retails for only $454, and the upgrade $227.

Yes, there are consumer/market psychology reasons why items are priced ending in 99 or 49, but in real terms Spectrasonics is asking for less in return for all that they have added over the years. Including an 10x expansion in the initial number of patches, the Orb, etc. History is our finest teacher and until I see otherwise I'm going to assume that the $227 (2008 comparison) of value is also paying it forward to the development of additional unheard features and sounds for years to come.

As to price vs. userbase, anyone who follows Spectrasonics on Facebook and Twitter can see from the response to the announcement that the userbase is relatively massive. Which explains how the company can sustain itself for years between releases. If you take into consideration the real value vs. 2008 it can be argued that the price has indeed dropped with a corresponding rise in users.

If you don't mind me asking, how can someone get into Version 1 for $350? I'm only seeing it for the usual $470 from online retailers. Omnisphere has been on my radar for a while now but I have too many unexplored synths to drop a bunch of money on another. This announcement has piqued my interest however.
For streaming and free music downloads visit http://kennethrobertsmusic.com/

BassMasterK wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, how can someone get into Version 1 for $350? I'm only seeing it for the usual $470 from online retailers. Omnisphere has been on my radar for a while now but I have too many unexplored synths to drop a bunch of money on another. This announcement has piqued my interest however.
It was $343.00 plus about $11-12.00 shipping from Best Service for a few days.
I just checked and it seems that sale is off now. Now we're back to the approximately $450.00 price from online dealers (8% higher for me because of where I live). Oh well, snooze and lose I guess. :shrug: :roll:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
now, again....why am i, an almost 8-year loyal customer, being asked to pay $249 when those exact same features are being given away to new customers with only a slight price hike ?? or free
Good point. I think Spectrasonics dropped the ball on that one. Customer loyalty has taken a hit here for older customers. Though new customers will be very happy. As someone mentioned in another post.... they should have had a "buy DLL" option for the loyal customers. Omni 1 will be enough for me for now.... might buy the new U-He Hive synth for the temporary intro price of $99 in the meantime....the CPU will thank me. :) To Spectrasonics...... Not gonna pay $249 on top of my $500+ I already paid a couple of years back when newbie customers are getting the better deal as of now...sorry.
It's a nice day for a melody.

Cool cool. Thanks for the info. I'll keep my eyes out for any deals like that. Seems unlikely given the current upgrade price structure but you never know. $350 is pretty much an instant buy for me.
For streaming and free music downloads visit http://kennethrobertsmusic.com/

wagtunes wrote:In regard to 3rd party patches and sample import, something to think about. Because I ran into this problem with another synth.

Good news on this front - Eric P replied to some questions I put up at VI-Control:
SHARING USER SOUNDSOURCES. In essence, I think I get sample import - you can import anything which then turns into a soundsource like any other. My question though is this - is there an easy way to share this with others? There are now some terrific 3rd party developers, would be great for them to be able to use their own soundsources too. Can it be easily packaged to share on?

YES! :-)

That's what the "Easy Sharing" feature is in the bullet list. Simply select the patches or multis you want to sharing into a Project, select "Share" and BOOM....Omnisphere 2 bundles all used and necessary User Soundsources into a single .omnisphere file, which can be easily sent to someone else.

On the receiving end, the user simply selects "Add Sounds" and selects the .omnisphere file and then the software puts all the user soundsources, patches and multis in the right places and they don't even have to refresh the browser! No need to go directory diving and works cross platform with no need for installers, etc.

World's easiest sound installation, which we predict will greatly facilitate a worldwide community of people sharing their creations, collaborators working together and will also GREATLY improve the delivery system for third party patch libraries.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Though new customers will be very happy.
things that make you ultra-hip in 2015:

- EDM soundbank ✓
- hundreds of waveforms ✓
- wavetable morphing ✓
- unison for HUGE polysynth sounds ✓

Would've been happier with a Roland D-50 soundbank to end all discussions and craving on the topic.
I know people who would pay a lot of money for that alone.

Return to “Instruments”