(the product formerly known as) Epoch

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

treebeard wrote:It does seem like time is beginning to be of essence now.

The MAC boys are already sorted with Numo but...

Namm 2015 has seen a real surge in the development of cross platform sw/hw sequencing tools arrive.

The Koma elektronik komplex sequencer (daddy) midi/cv/gate $pricey$

The Beatstep Pro midi/cv/gate $reasonable$

The Korg SQ-1 midi/cv/gate ...ect $as chips$

People are craving step-sequencers and the devs are listening. I fear Colin might arrive too late to the party if he doesn't make haste and release soon.
I can't see those latter ones as the same or competing at all - at least I hope not as they are of no interest to me at all. Numerology is the one I lusted after and Epoch sounds as if it will be its own take and prabably even better. I'm still happy to wait - but no doubt sooner is better than later. I don't have any problem wit the dev underestimating the time - it is not as if we commissioned this and handed over 100K with a delivery date promised.

woggle wrote: it is not as if we commissioned this and handed over 100K with a delivery date promised.
Well that's true enough. Fair comment.

Yes yes, me too!

I just noticed a bunch of stepsequencing stuff being released and thought I could use it as a witty way to say "hurry up". Total fail I know, my bad. Colin knows i'm just extracting the urine and being silly.

Glad to hear that people are behind Colin on this project. I'm sure that we will all be very happy using this software when it arrives. No doubt it will annoy the hell out of the rest of our nursing home comrades.

treebeard wrote:It does seem like time is beginning to be of essence now.

The MAC boys are already sorted with Numo but...

Namm 2015 has seen a real surge in the development of cross platform sw/hw sequencing tools arrive.

The Koma elektronik komplex sequencer (daddy) midi/cv/gate $pricey$

The Beatstep Pro midi/cv/gate $reasonable$

The Korg SQ-1 midi/cv/gate ...ect $as chips$

People are craving step-sequencers and the devs are listening. I fear Colin might arrive too late to the party if he doesn't make haste and release soon.
Not forgetting the versatile, affordable and compact Faderfox SC4
http://www.faderfox.de/sc4.html
Amazon: why not use an alternative

If anything, the gentle ribbing about slipped timescales is a (much appreciated) reminder that people want this, and they want it soon, and I'm doing all in my power to make that happen as rapidly as possible.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

On deeper inspection of the Koma unit, as lovely as it appears and it does appear so lovely, it really doesnt have that much to offer in comparison to "Epoch/Eternity/Eventually" or whatever it will be named.

Woggle was quite right - they offer no direct competition.

Glad your not offended Colin ;D - your skin is thick, and movement slow, maybe your a turtle then.

colin@loomer wrote:I can't remember who first brought up the subject of micro tuning, but I must admit I've become quite taken with various MIDI tuning presets. My current micro tuner patch, as simple and minimal as I suspect this could be, consists of just five modules (plus some constants, which define the various pitch bend ranges for each pitch class; a MIDI input module, and a MIDI output module.)

MIDI In goes to a Note Priority module [*1], which then goes to an Unpack Note module [*2]. We then take the unpacked pitch value, and perform modulo 12 arithmetic on it [*3], essentially producing a CV stream with 0 for C, 1 for C#, 2 for D, etc, up to 11 for B. This then controls a 16:1 switch (although we need only twelve of the 16 inputs, there is no harm nor cpu usage in leaving the unused inputs unconnected), where inputs 0 to 11 are connected to constants which dictate the amount of pitch-bend per pitch class.

This value is routed into a Pack Pitch Bend module [*4], which takes the trigger and channel from our Unpack Note and the value from the multiplexing switch. We then connect both the MIDI input and Pack Pitch Bend to the MIDI output module. Result: a simple MIDI micro tuner.

For bonus points, you may also want to use an Order MIDI [*5] module before the MIDI output to ensure that the pitch-bend messages occur before the note ons.
Interesting - this is almost exactly how you would do it in Max/MSP or Max 4 Live. Is it safe to say Epic/Endless/Eternity is a mix of lower-level operations (like modulo) like one might find in Max and higher-level objects that are dedicated sequencer building blocks?

It's basically a race at this point to see which arrives first, Eon or my Cirklon. Which Colin will win???

Is it safe to say Epic/Endless/Eternity is a mix of lower-level operations (like modulo) like one might find in Max and higher-level objects that are dedicated sequencer building blocks?
Yes, you've got it.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Yes! Now we have the name:
Epic Endless Eternity

Got a new MiniMac and Numerology is at 4.1 now!

Isnt a Cirklon a hardware sequencer?

Loomer Cyclotron?

;-)
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

:wink: :wink:
We await the Epochalypse?

...still waiting...

:)
바보

Colin: Did I understand correctly that we can use feedback loops inside of !Epoch ? I currently work on some ideas that are based on natural structures and found that some of my tools deliberately prevent loops/feedback (which is of course understandable and makes sense in most situations). I'd prefer to not fall back onto virtual Midi cables to circumvent that... ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

bftucker wrote::wink: :wink:
We await the Epochalypse?

...still waiting...

:)
:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Yes Thomas; internal feedback loops are fine for both CV and MIDI streams. I find that feedback is essential for a lot of the weird logic-gate powered MIDI sequencing noodles that I create.

The only potential thing you need to be wary of is that feedback will, at some point in the patch, incur a one-tick delay because the modules are processed sequentially. If A->B and B->A, then A's input will be B's output value from the previous tick.

colin@loomer wrote:Yes Thomas; internal feedback loops are fine for both CV and MIDI streams. I find that feedback is essential for a lot of the weird logic-gate powered MIDI sequencing noodles that I create.

The only potential thing you need to be wary of is that feedback will, at some point in the patch, incur a one-tick delay because the modules are processed sequentially. If A->B and B->A, then A's input will be B's output value from the previous tick.
Great, yeah, I also find it quite essential - I have no problem with the delay since I'm working on delayed systems anyway :-)

Cool, so I'll continue standing on tiptoe for the beta :hyper:
Go Colin, Go :clap: :-)

Cheers,

Tom

Return to “Loomer”