t6 clues???

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

TSC wrote: JB (AKA Static Observer) wrote the album in T4
Brilliant stuff - instant buy! Want more like these.

Could not say it any better. :clap:

Right, I said yesterday I'd post the list of "headings" from the video, so here they are, along with approximate timings:

T6 Preview Video - New Features

0:26 Recording Waveforms - Live punch in and out
0:32 Elastique Pro v3 - High quality time stretching
0:37 Speed Up/Slow Down Fade Types - Simple pitch bend effects
0:50 Instant Render - Merge clips together
0:55 Automation Tracks - Collapsable tracks with parameter readouts
1:15 Automation Remapping - Automation follows changes in the tempo track
1:27 Track Comps - Swipe comps sections of a track for super fast edits
2:04 Track Tagging - Tag tracks to show/hide groups
2:42 Unified Search Panel - Search loops, presets and plugins
3:03 Enhanced Tagging - Tag any item for quick filtering
3:33 Improved Previews - Audio thumbnails and preset breakdowns
3:46 Step Clip Channel Names - Identify channels easily
3:58 Velocity and Gate Editing - Per-step parameters for fine tuning sequences
4:13 Channel Destinations - Select the source for a channel in a single click
(source? target, surely?)
4:28 Simple Side-chaining - Automatically configure a rack for side chain input

And
1:15 Also spotted option to make a plug-in mirror the parameters of one already in use... whatever that might mean. Same automation parameters, perhaps?
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

what i'm wondering about is whether there will be a higher price for T6.
I have a license I have considered upgrading to T5, but I'm not sure if right now is such a good time for that, with T6 seemingly being around the corner.

The upgrade price has been $29.95 for a while now and there's been no mention of changing it. T6 is due in one to two weeks, so you may as well wait.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

needaname wrote:
jabe wrote:
needaname wrote:Nice new features, still waiting for group tracks and an expanded color picker...
What would you like your group tracks to do? You can send the output from several tracks to a single track to which you can add plug-ins, and the tagging thing in the video allows you to look at groups of tracks. Haven't seen whether sub-groups are possible, but don't see why not if it's just a case of directing output from some tracks to another one. What have I missed?
Well yes, that's possible, but in terms of organisation I'd personally prefer to visually have "folders" I can expand or close, right how they did with the new Bitwig version.

Tags really are a nice touch, I love the idea, but it's something different.

Tracktion has had folder tracks since at least Tracktion 3 .... that feature's been there for years and years

Am I missing something you're trying to do?
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

AFAIK, you can't apply effects directly to a Folder track - you have to re-route to another output track (and apply effects there) to achieve this. Therefore you end up with a Folder track and an output track. In other DAW's you can group tracks together into a group and apply effects to the group track (analogous to the Tracktion "Folder" track) directly, rather than have to output to a separate destination. We've been over this before:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=427893
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

Noted :)
Tracktion Software Corporation

So is tag organisation going to be better? (ie not just in whatever order you create them but something logical and controllable)?

jabe wrote: 1:15 Automation Remapping - Automation follows changes in the tempo track :o
3:46 Step Clip Channel Names - Identify channels easily :D
3:58 Velocity and Gate Editing - Per-step parameters for fine tuning sequences :love:
4:28 Simple Side-chaining - Automatically configure a rack for side chain input :)
At last, what good news to see that requested features implemented to T6. :hug:

Can't wait to upgrade.

aMUSEd wrote:So is tag organisation going to be better? (ie not just in whatever order you create them but something logical and controllable)?
I've also been wondering how this compares with the extended folder track option. It may be more flexible. I think setting these in templates is going to be a good idea.

The tag thing looks like a way of grouping tracks for the sake of visibility, perhaps not entirely unlike the previous non-pluggable folder tracks. So, suppose an edit has tracks tagged as, say, drums, vocals, and instruments. Each of those could have a single main track (called perhaps TotalDrums, TotalVocals, TotalIntruments) into which all the others feed; these "total" track would then be more or less pluggable folder tracks. The outputs from these "total" tracks in each section could feed simply into further tracks (let's call these MasterDrums, MasterVocals, MasterInstruments) which could then be tagged in a group called Master.

So

Tag = Drums
shows TotalDrums, bass, snare, ride, splash....
Tag = Voice
shows TotalVocals, lead vocal, backing 1, backing 2....
Tag=Instruments
shows TotalInstruments, guitar, bass, keyboard...
and, to sum the lot up for relative balance, etc,
Tag=Master
shows MasterDrums, MasterVocals, MasterInstruments

That's what I was thinking.

Routing, say, all the drums into TotalDrums and then on into MasterDrums seems a bit of a waste and could be avoided if tracks could have more than one tag...
Last edited by jabe on Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

aMUSEd wrote:
TSC wrote: JB (AKA Static Observer) wrote the album in T4
I thought at first it was that Radiohead song with the incomprehensible time signature. I also assumed that it was being played by an ad somewhere because it in no way matches up with the visuals. I guess Woody got tired of people complaining about having a demo video of music software with no audio?

On-topic:

These all look like great updates for Tracktion! A lot of nice little workflow enhancements (tagging, searching) and also some larger functionality additions (elastique, clip fade fx, step clip updates).

It's interesting to see TSC get into plugin development. Tracktion has been lacking plugins compared to some other DAWS, although I have to say from my perspective that I've preferred a DAW that's mostly DAW-only. I only use 3rd party plugins. However, it's hard to recommend Tracktion to newbies because it forces them to learn too much too fast. The plugin concept is easier to deal with if you don't have to deal with everything that surrounds adding them to your setup.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

no ghost notes?
no ghost clips?
no better way how to assign notes in step-sequence clip?
No better native instruments and effects?

Ok, so it is minor update for me.

mcnelson wrote:AFAIK, you can't apply effects directly to a Folder track - you have to re-route to another output track (and apply effects there) to achieve this. Therefore you end up with a Folder track and an output track. In other DAW's you can group tracks together into a group and apply effects to the group track (analogous to the Tracktion "Folder" track) directly, rather than have to output to a separate destination. We've been over this before:
making a foldertrack part of the audiorouting scheme may lead to much confusion, as it is not at all obvious. it still is an organization type of feature.
that said i am not against this feature.
i'd say, a sensible way to incorporate this into the existing scheme, could be to make an option for foldertracks like "enable foldertrack as groupbus". enabling this would automatically transform the foldertrack into a bustrack, with all tracks in the folder routed to it. the features of the foldertrack would still be available as it is now.
when you record or freeze the foldertrack, then the "empty" clip on it that represents the clips in the folder will be transformed into a "real clip" containing the bus audiostream. tracks (or clips) in the folder would be muted then.
the actual foldertrack behaviour could still the default and the new feature would make for a superfast visability and routing feature at the same time.
could become a real workflow beast ... :D

klangbastler wrote:
mcnelson wrote:AFAIK, you can't apply effects directly to a Folder track - you have to re-route to another output track (and apply effects there) to achieve this. Therefore you end up with a Folder track and an output track. In other DAW's you can group tracks together into a group and apply effects to the group track (analogous to the Tracktion "Folder" track) directly, rather than have to output to a separate destination. We've been over this before:
making a foldertrack part of the audiorouting scheme may lead to much confusion, as it is not at all obvious. it still is an organization type of feature.
that said i am not against this feature.
i'd say, a sensible way to incorporate this into the existing scheme, could be to make an option for foldertracks like "enable foldertrack as groupbus". enabling this would automatically transform the foldertrack into a bustrack, with all tracks in the folder routed to it. the features of the foldertrack would still be available as it is now.
when you record or freeze the foldertrack, then the "empty" clip on it that represents the clips in the folder will be transformed into a "real clip" containing the bus audiostream. tracks (or clips) in the folder would be muted then.
the actual foldertrack behaviour could still the default and the new feature would make for a superfast visability and routing feature at the same time.
could become a real workflow beast ... :D
Well, confusion depends, based on other sequencers you used in the past, I always used folders and applied effects to them, I find it pretty fast and straightforward, not that confusing imho.

Some DAWs such as Logic give you a way to select between a normal folder and one you can apply effects to, so like creating a new bus. In Logic you have Folders and Stacks, a folder is just a folder, while a stack is a folder which contains other tracks and you can apply effects to.

Return to “Tracktion”