VAST Dynamics - Vaporizer - Analog / Subtractive Synth Plug-in (Mac / Win) - Version 1.25 available

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Vaporizer

I have not downloaded it, but the format looks unusual, I mean higher than wide, judging from the screenshot. So I suppose it is rather small, right?
But in terms of features it seems very interesting and complete, maybe this will become the Sylenth killer (or vaporizer) discussed in another thread :hihi:

Funny how such a new synth comes out of the blue, and yet again from a German company :)

OK, couldn't resist trying it. GUI is way too small for me. The demo version seems to time out after a minute or so, not really useful. I picked a random preset, Warm Pad, and noticed an ugly sound caused by the reverb. But really, the demo mode is highly irritating, I won't waste more time on it like that.

layzer wrote:OK, got the email with key file, put it in the same folder with the vaporizer plugin, started up savihost and still comes up
as "DEMO - unlicensed version" does the plugin look for the key only in the steinberg folder on the C drive?
i'm running windows XP service pack3. does the key only work under windows 7 or 8? scratching my head here boys. :shrug:

Encountered the same problem here. I am already in close contact with Tobias. I have run several tests and right now I can only get it wo work with my license on WIN8 and with the default C:program files (x86)... path. No other path works.

And xp even the C.program files doesn´t work for me.

But he is investigating the problem already and right now we try to narrow it down.

Cheers
Sebastian
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

Halma wrote:
layzer wrote:OK, got the email with key file, put it in the same folder with the vaporizer plugin, started up savihost and still comes up
as "DEMO - unlicensed version" does the plugin look for the key only in the steinberg folder on the C drive?
i'm running windows XP service pack3. does the key only work under windows 7 or 8? scratching my head here boys. :shrug:

Encountered the same problem here. I am already in close contact with Tobias. I have run several tests and right now I can only get it wo work with my license on WIN8 and with the default C:program files (x86)... path. No other path works.

But he is investigating the problem already and right now we try to narrow it down.

Cheers
Sebastian
It's being worked on. I suspect a update soon.

Choons wrote:
Halma wrote:

Cheers
Sebastian
thanks for the heads up, it really should pick up the key file anywhere it gets installed. i NEVER use the stupid steinberg\vstplugins folder. i hope he changes that! as for the key not working in xp...i'm sure he'll figure it out. GO GO Tobias!!!

It's being worked on. I suspect a update soon.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

A 1-minute demo period. Are you serious guys? Installed, tried for one minute, deleted.

pestomusic wrote:A 1-minute demo period. Are you serious guys? Installed, tried for one minute, deleted.
Complaints accepted - we will make the demo time longer in the hotfix that we release later today (which is anyhow required due to the issues with the keyfile path that many of you have experienced).

Thanks Tobias. If I may suggest something here: why not have an unlimited demo period or maybe 30 days but the signal is interrupted or white noise fades in or something?

The audio demos sound good, nice GUI, and the price is very affordable. I'll definitely demo this after the hot fix.

OK, here's my feedback:
Let's start with the positive things. The LowPass filter sounds quite good. I heard it in the second or so preset I tried. So I quickly started to dive into the controls and wanted to tweak it. and then... :o
There are many obvious flaws in this synth. So many and so severe that I am not sure how these things could have happened:
- the GUI has the wrong format and is designed by somebody who doesn't know what he/she is doing. Sorry, could have said it more polite but this is the plain truth. Tons of wasted GUI real estate while very important knobs are as big as the poo of a fly? I guess you have a huge monitor, Tobias! 8)
- most knobs are way, WAY too small
- the release on the envs sounds unnatural (linear?)
- the volume knobs aren't correctly scaled. The last bit of the knob movement makes it way too loud
- the output of the LowPass filter is WAY higher than the output of the DiodeLadder
- The designers of this synths obviously don't use presets. Otherwise there would be at least up/down buttons to go through the presets. Clicking the list then choosing a preset from the list to change a preset? Eh, no...
And tweaking a preset and you're inside some strange user area outside the bank you formerly selected. :ud:
- Lotsa clicks where there shouldn't be any. No CPU issue.
- CPU consumption was OKish until I turned on 2x RING and my CPU meter told me that it would use nearly 200% CPU!!! :hihi:
I could go on and on but that should be enough to keep you going into the right direction for a few hours to bring this half thought out early beta version much closer to a full blown product that does what it was intended to do.
Some sounds this synth can do are good but not exactly spectacular to me. The presets didn't show me anything with a wow factor but the rather flat sounding character of the synth.

Peace.

The poster above me pretty much covered it so no point repeating it here.

But I have to stress the GUI. It's horrendous. I've never designed a synth in my life and I could do a better job. Widen it about twice the size. Make 3 rows. You can still fit everything on one screen and the knobs will actually be visible.

As for the LP filter, I have to crank it all the way to almost closed to have any audible difference between closed and open. Incremental differences are non existent. The filter as is might as well be on and off.

The LFO, when using S&H as a waveform, makes some very audible sounds on note on that should not be there. They don't happen all the time but often enough. Sounds like a water faucet dripping.

For the most part, I'm okay with the sound. It's usable. But because I like to program my own sounds and the GUI is a total nightmare, programming is extremely difficult so I would probably not be using this synth other than for presets. Most synths like that I quickly tire of because I've essentially run out of options.

I wouldn't go as far as to say the character is flat. Some of the presets sound good. I think there is a lot of potential here. But as is, if I had to purchase this synth, I wouldn't. I actually have SynthEdit made synths that are easier to program and sound better and they were free.

Work on the GUI and work on improving the filter response to begin with. Once you've done that I think you'll be on your way to having something you can sell that you can be proud of.

Please take this in the spirit in which it is intended.

That GUI has GOT to go.

Ok, had a go too...
key didn't work, as others have stated... I'm on mac osx, and tried vst in both locations,
so had to use demo and keep re-instantiating (Id agree 1 minute is just way to short, and most will just bin it.)

Some nice presets, and straightforward to program.
But, I have to agree with the others on UI, some things are way to small, and others have acres of space... and the logo takes up alot of space. its nice to be on one page but this needs re-thinking, its too fiddly to use.
Presets handling is not prominent enough, and needs up/down.

Small thing, editing numbers often given 3 decimal places, but are shown with zero ( i doubt we need 3dp)

In Live 9.1.7 ,the parameters do not seem to be automatable, and it seems to be 32 bit only (vst/mac osx).

Overall, could be nice if the UI is updated and its a good price, but in its current form I'm unlikely to use it :(

1 minute demo? :o

I wouldn't even download it for only 1 minute of demo...

Disappointed I didn't make the 25 user cut, but will still give the demo a whirl tonight.

I noticed there is a hotfix that appears to be Windows only? I'll be using the Mac version, so hope the 1-minute demo has been extended beyond that.

Perhaps make the time unlimited, but add some random whitenoise generation every so often?

i think this synth has lots of potential so here is my contribution to its developement. here is a rough
GUI component placement mock up. further refinements are needed in knob placement and sizes, but
i believe the workflow is improved in this layout.

v101 fixed the licence issue, thanks for jumping right on it, Tobias :) now for some
good uninterrupted testing with it :clap: :hyper: :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:i think this synth has lots of potential so here is my contribution to its developement. here is a rough
GUI component placement mock up. further refinements are needed in knob placement and sizes, but
i believe the workflow is improved in this layout.

v101 fixed the licence issue, thanks for jumping right on it, Tobias :) now for some
good uninterrupted testing with it :clap: :hyper: :tu:
That's pretty much what I would have done because it's logical (how most synths are laid out). All that's left to do is increase the size of some of the knobs and a few other minor size and placement adjustments.

The GUI is definitely salvageable.

Return to “Instruments”