Hive needs MODERN Factory Presets (Marketing tip?)

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i really love many presets but at the same time (no offense to any sound designer, i suck at sound design!) the synth is there already hyped (from the fans) as a sylenth1 killer etc. and to convince them you should add there some basic EDM/wobble factory presets too.
many presets (Howard, i love your stuff, no offense!) like from Howard sound too old school where EDM kids would say "bad sounds, i want SAWS and wobbles". later there can be more Retro sound packs (im sure there will and i hope there will be more from Howard, Aiyn etc.!).

im no fan of those new EDM crap trance stuff which sound the same for me but i was thinking this when browsing through the presets (heck i love the Psytrance stuff in there!).

when i checked the Spire Demo i was really a bit attached by the tweaking easiness but somehow it is still no instant buy for me and i got dune2 as i have my sylenth1 (and also bought hive 2 weeks ago!) but the presets there were already top notch for the EDM stuff!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote:i really love many presets but at the same time (no offense to any sound designer, i suck at sound design!) the synth is there already hyped (from the fans) as a sylenth1 killer etc. and to convince them you should add there some basic EDM/wobble factory presets too.
many presets (Howard, i love your stuff, no offense!) like from Howard sound too old school where EDM kids would say "bad sounds, i want SAWS and wobbles". later there can be more Retro sound packs (im sure there will and i hope there will be more from Howard, Aiyn etc.!).

im no fan of those new EDM crap trance stuff which sound the same for me but i was thinking this when browsing through the presets (heck i love the Psytrance stuff in there!).

when i checked the Spire Demo i was really a bit attached by the tweaking easiness but somehow it is still no instant buy for me and i got dune2 as i have my sylenth1 (and also bought hive 2 weeks ago!) but the presets there were already top notch for the EDM stuff!
I'm still working on a lot more factory sounds, and would like to create what you're looking for. What would be MAJORLY helpful, is if you could list some existing patches in Hive that are examples of what you're looking for. Feel free to download my patches update in another thread, as I might have a few in there, or perhaps not lol.

Right now I'm a bit confused. Do you mean Spire's factory sounds has a lot of what you're looking for? I can definitely do a lot more wobbles for you, but what do you mean by "saws"? Like I said, if you could list a few examples of existing Hive patches in this thread (around 10, if possible), that would be really helpful for all the sound designers on board. It would be more time-efficient for us than YouTube clips.
VST PRESETS ---> http://xenossoundworks.com
Bazille, NI Massive, Z3ta, PPG Wave, TAL-J8, RePro, Diva, Spire and more

Xenos wrote:
Caine123 wrote:i really love many presets but at the same time (no offense to any sound designer, i suck at sound design!) the synth is there already hyped (from the fans) as a sylenth1 killer etc. and to convince them you should add there some basic EDM/wobble factory presets too.

I'm still working on a lot more factory sounds, and would like to create what you're looking for. What would be MAJORLY helpful, is if you could list some existing patches in Hive that are examples of what you're looking for. Feel free to download my patches update in another thread, as I might have a few in there, or perhaps not lol.

Right now I'm a bit confused. Do you mean Spire's factory sounds has a lot of what you're looking for? I can definitely do a lot more wobbles for you, but what do you mean by "saws"? Like I said, if you could list a few examples of existing Hive patches in this thread (around 10, if possible), that would be really helpful for all the sound designers on board. It would be more time-efficient for us than YouTube clips.
hi Xenos,

thanks for your fast reply! it was more meant as a tip? maybe? :)
im not the typical EDM guy, i prefer Psytrance, Industrial, EBM sounds but there are not many people who like them i think. the post was intended to make HIVE interesting for the EDM crown out there who talk "yeah brah, sylenth1 kills all for edm, or Serum or Spire, lots of awesome presets man, you gotta get this booom" :D, and they are a bit right when checking factory patches of the other synths, so until march/april i hope the first or 2nd factory preset bank is like that:

"an EDM maniac/kid from nowadays gets Hive (hopefully legal) and opens it up, BAMMM "motherf**ker this is awesome, hear those sounds? yeahhhhhhhhhhhh, ultrafat, wobble wobble, plucky club animal shit like" :D

instead of "wooo, synthetic flute, meeeh, old school sine pad, 80s bass, this synth sucks ass"" ;)

hope you got what i wanted to express ;D
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote:
Xenos wrote:

hi Xenos,

thanks for your fast reply! it was more meant as a tip? maybe? :)
im not the typical EDM guy, i prefer Psytrance, Industrial, EBM sounds but there are not many people who like them i think. the post was intended to make HIVE interesting for the EDM crown out there who talk "yeah brah, sylenth1 kills all for edm, or Serum or Spire, lots of awesome presets man, you gotta get this booom" :D, and they are a bit right when checking factory patches of the other synths, so until march/april i hope the first or 2nd factory preset bank is like that:

"an EDM maniac/kid from nowadays gets Hive (hopefully legal) and opens it up, BAMMM "motherf**ker this is awesome, hear those sounds? yeahhhhhhhhhhhh, ultrafat, wobble wobble, plucky club animal shit like" :D

instead of "wooo, synthetic flute, meeeh, old school sine pad, 80s bass, this synth sucks ass"" ;)

hope you got what i wanted to express ;D
Hmmm...so sorry, man, I'm only a little closer to understanding. I'm with you on the psytrance stuff, but still need examples of some kind for the rest. By chance, are any of the "LD EDM Leads" 1 though 7 in my updated pack anything close to the sounds you're looking for, or is that still too trancey? It looks like I might have to start a new folder and dedicate that to more chaotic and distorted leads which might not be to the typical EDM fan's tastes.
VST PRESETS ---> http://xenossoundworks.com
Bazille, NI Massive, Z3ta, PPG Wave, TAL-J8, RePro, Diva, Spire and more

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Well since its clearly stated it includes only some presets for preview and NOT all the final factory library it's a bit early to pass judgement.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:Well since its clearly stated it includes only some presets for preview and NOT all the final factory library it's a bit early to pass judgement.
that's why i said it as a tip/advisement until Hive is out. im neither disappointed or wanting typical EDM presets for myself, it's just for a good start and hype for HIVE :D

Caine123 wrote: (Howard, i love your stuff, no offense!) like from Howard sound too old school where EDM kids would say "bad sounds, i want SAWS and wobbles".
I'd take one HS preset over a 128 bank of EDM-themed presets any day of the week. Different folks have different tastes.

Take the init patch.
Move the lfo knob on the filter over to any side.
Drown the sound in reverb and delay.
There...now you're a sound designer for wobble.
For psy trance. Do the same but lower the lfo rate to make a slow sweep.

I get what the OP is talking about. Take sylenth factory soundbank for example. I've heard its sound on so many EDM song already. It's excellent for the genre.

If Hive were to kill Sylenth, it will need those instant gratification factory soundbank for EDM crowd.
musisikamar.com

xamido wrote:I get what the OP is talking about. Take sylenth factory soundbank for example. I've heard its sound on so many EDM song already. It's excellent for the genre.

If Hive were to kill Sylenth, it will need those instant gratification factory soundbank for EDM crowd.
Well if you're talking Big Room/SHM/Avicii-Style EDM - that genre uses the same four or five sounds in slightly different variations. :hihi:

All you need: Moog bass, Mau5 plug, 303 sound, high speed pitch-modulated saw lead, super saw.

Don't forget the gated snare and an ear wreaking lazer riser. Add Vengeance Electro Shock and you'r done. :lol: :ud:

People are crushing "EDM"...and typically do on this forum (and KVR in general). It seems KVR is made up moreso of "nerds" and "synthusiasts" that are interested in very complex patches at times.

I've been making electronic music for several years now, and the only VSTi's that I've ever purchased have been from u-he (Zebra2, Hive). I enjoy the quality of the synths, the flexibility, and having a community and having the developers active on this forum.

HOWEVER, I do think I understand the point that Caine123 is trying to make. Sure, he may not be the most eloquent poster, but I think his point is a worthwhile one to be considered.

Yes, "EDM soundz" can typically be very simple (high unison supersaws, lowpass filtered 8th notes, plucks to fill up the high end, and a sharp saw or square lead). And yes, "EDM" is very popular right now. But these two facts alone don't make EDM unworthwy of pursuing. I myself enjoy lots of forms of current EDM (including trance, progressive house, electro, deep house, etc.).

It's not that u-he synths (and hive, specifically) aren't CAPABLE of the sorts of sounds that EDM people are looking for. Anyone with any knowledge of subtractive synthesis knows that. It's that many of u-he's presets do NOT seem to cater to those in the dance music market. And sometimes, it's not just that the presets CAN'T be inserted into EDM tracks, but for some reason, they lack the initial "punch" or "sparkle" that are associated with a lot of "EDM synth" presets (Sylenth, Spire, Dune, etc.). Again...I realize that "punch" and "sparkle" are subjective words. I realize that many of the popular EDM presets can be accomplished easily (maybe by boosting the EQ, reverb levels, etc.).

With Hive being marketed (by u-he) as a "Make Them Dance" synth, I see what Caine123 is trying to say - and I agree with him.

Xenos, I appreciate your patience, and realize that having examples would assist in this. I don't have any specific examples at the moment, but anything from anjunabeats or anjunasounds would work. deadmau5 sounds are solid sounds. dillon francis, golden features, feed me are some other artists that may feature some sounds you can pull from.

Many times on this forum, when someone brings up "EDM" or a certain sound from EDM, the response is a curt, "Figure out how to make it yourself" or "DUH that's just a square wave with a sine underneath with a small amount of distortion". But let us not forget that although some of us like playing around with synths, others like making music (e.g. songs) with them. When songs are your end goal, immediately-usable presets are a must. I think this may be a bit of what Caine123's trying to say.

The wobble, psy, and industrial aren't really sound design, as much as daw manipulation.
One can take almost any sound and turn it into wobble, psy, or industrial by using either automation, or realtime assigned knobs. That's what most of those producers do.
Want wobble bass. Choose any average bass, and assign the lfo to filter, and to controller, and either manually record things, or automate. Same is done for good psy trance, and industrial is even easier. Pick any sound, and add distortion, and/or bit crusher...finished.

I can relate to how Caine321 feels, as I also say wtf when I hear a soundset of nothing but wobble basses, psy filter sweeps, supper saws, 8 bit, noise bit crushing nonsense...where everything was made within 3 minutes of initialize patches, and drenched in effects.
I believe that isn't sound design. You want that crap, just use a patch randomizer and add effects until the original sound is indistinguishable from the effects...and they'll call you a sound design genius. There is still a need for sounds created for real musicians, as opposed to daw manipulators who create music genres that are indistinguishable from each other.

Marketing a synth for EDM and as a rival to Sylenth by filling it with sounds that the crowd didn't want is bad for business.

Do whatever you want with your own soundbank, but factory preset for EDM should contain those so called 'crap' sounds.

I was confused too with some of the preview presets. That's not what i expect from Hive. If i want complex modulated sound i would have use Zebra instead, a much superior synth.
musisikamar.com

The point is the final factory bankk is not out, judging by the video teaser Urs has a clear vision of how to market Hive. I really don't think he is going to skip the EDM sounds in the final bank.
dedication to flying

Return to “u-he”