Omnisphere 2 is here! (yes, it's really here!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Omnisphere 1 Omnisphere 2

wagtunes wrote: I feel really screwed. I only bought Omni a couple of months before the cutoff date. So I haven't even had use of Omni 1 for a whole year and now I have to spend another $250 to get Omni 2? I feel bad for everybody who feels cheated or screwed.
Well, if it's any consolation, just think of the ones who bought Alchemy the day before CA disappeared...

neverfall wrote:So Alchemy is gone and OMNISPHERE WINS AGAIN?

:lol:
2-0

Wait - isn't it only getting released in April? That means you guys have 3 more months to get ahead of the potential new comers (plus all the time you've had).

I can sympathize though (i'm not an omni user and considered buying it several times, but dropped the idea after seeing the MASSIVE amount of sounds I probably have and haven't heard yet).

I felt the same when NI did their Maschine promo with umpteen free packs. :x Us maschine studio owners didn't get any!

Echoes in the Attic wrote:I just gotta say that it always cracks me up when people talk about being a "loyal customer" for all these years, as if the fact that they bought a product many years ago and then got to enjoy it for a long time and receive free updates somehow means that they stuck by them and supported them and continued to give them money or something. Yes there is such a thing as loyalty discounts when multiple products are owned, as is the case with the VIP owners who own all three, but people tend to that expression anywhere. As in "I'm so loyal because I used your product for years and didn't sell it". Haha.
Well you are right, I am not loyal anymore because I am not going to buy this upgrade. So they don't have to discount it anymore for my sake and it seems like everyone else wants it..

Other VSTs start at around 200 dollars and you would spend another 300 for upgrades or sample packs. Omnisphere you did it all up front with 500 bucks. They did not have a demo version you could try, they had very little as to examples of the large library (sure they had a few but you didn't know if those were the best sounds and the rest was garbage.) So you took the plunge, you had faith in the guy who wrote patches for the D50 and you sent your 500 bucks off on a wing and a prayer that you would like the product. Fortunately most people did but that is loyalty and trust up front. Now they have neither, at least for me and you are right, I am not loyal or trusting of them anymore.

cowby wrote:
My last hope was gone when Camel Audio ... :cry:
I got pretty high expectation on Alchemy 2!

By watching the demo of O2, I suspected that Alchemy 2 can do it as well or a bit better. Now, when CA announced the bad news, Eric can happily announced the price model.

There is only 1 company can fight with O2 - NI. Come on NI, show your guts!
You think there will be an Alchemy 2, under some other brand name? I would NEVER buy it in any shape or form even if it was the best thing on earth for the next 10 generations. Screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me.

Spectrasonics products have always been pricey, even before the plugins, when they were just sample libraries sold on cdroms. Never had issues with them, though: solid enough, high quality, regular free updates, good support and (above all) no dongles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuAYMv5tpL8

Do we really need a huge sample lib if the synth can import audio with powerful sound manipulation capabilities ?

So just sell me the DLL

keyman_sam wrote:Wait - isn't it only getting released in April? That means you guys have 3 more months to get ahead of the potential new comers (plus all the time you've had).

I can sympathize though (i'm not an omni user and considered buying it several times, but dropped the idea after seeing the MASSIVE amount of sounds I probably have and haven't heard yet).

I felt the same when NI did their Maschine promo with umpteen free packs. :x Us maschine studio owners didn't get any!
Three more months of angst and worry....what if Spectrasonics goes the way of Camel??!?!?! :scared: :o

Or when Kore 2 was dropped by NI.... :x :x :tantrum:

:evil:

:D :D
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

wagtunes wrote: Now, here's the flip side.

You bought Omni 1 whenever. It was a long time ago. You've been using it for years. You've been waiting for a new version forever. One finally comes out but you have two problems.

1) You really don't feel that the new version offers that much more in addition over the old version. Certainly not $250 worth.

2) People who are just buying Omni 1 now are being given Omni 2 for free whereas you have to pay $250 just because you happen to have been unfortunate enough to have bought Omni 1 before the cutoff date. In short, the new people are paying $500 for something that you have to pay $750 for.

That isn't fair either.
Problem 1) is not the users problem it's the developers problem. Luckily it usually makes them work really hard at making new versions awesome and attractive! They'll definitely get my $250 this time around! :)

Problem 2) is only a problem for relatively new users - and it IS a problem. It's not a problem for anyone who's used it for years (like me) because they got their value from their license purchase. As long as the company does 'maintenance' updates on the original plugin so it remains compatible with changing OS's.

wagtunes wrote: I feel really screwed.
Sounds like problem 2 applies to you and I can empathize. So will most developers who are also people too. But yes, 'there has to be a cutoff somewhere'... it's true. I know there have been people in your situation who *have* appealed directly to the developers and *have* been given a break on the upgrade price. I suggest you drop Spectrasonics a line if you are financially unable to upgrade and registered your license within a couple of months of the cutoff. It's worth a try!

ATS wrote:I would bet anything that the price would of been the same regardless.
100% agree.

I would not take you up on this bet - in fact I'm guessing this pricing scheme was pretty much set before they even committed to the implementation of their plan for Omnisphere 2.

mhog wrote:
wagtunes wrote: I feel really screwed. I only bought Omni a couple of months before the cutoff date. So I haven't even had use of Omni 1 for a whole year and now I have to spend another $250 to get Omni 2? I feel bad for everybody who feels cheated or screwed.
Well, if it's any consolation, just think of the ones who bought Alchemy the day before CA disappeared...

I bought it around a month before, does that count :hihi:

Don't regret it one bit, great plugin.
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

Voice303 wrote:
I bought it around a month before, does that count :hihi:

Don't regret it one bit, great plugin.
Ouch!! Still using the 'chuckle' emoticon..... you are a bigger man than I, sir! :D

Then again, if you are planning to just continue happily using it for a few years then good for you dude! :tu:

Echoes in the Attic wrote:I just gotta say that it always cracks me up when people talk about being a "loyal customer" for all these years.
except no one but you is taking the word so literally :shrug: i have used the words "loyal" and "long-term" interchangeably, because in the given context they are the same thing
Echoes in the Attic wrote:I don't see any attempt to lay guilt. Why should anyone feel guilty for using a product they paid for and receiving many nice free updates, new patches etc.
exactly. but if i dare, as i have, to suggest that the update price is too steep**, other users step in and say, [paraphrased] "why are you so ungrateful ?? look at all the free updates you got. and...if you pay it, think of all the free updates you will then get" [/ paraphrased] were they free, or were they just free then, in lieu of future payment ?? i happen to think they were free, and that this update is priced on what it offers. it' other users here who are using it to try and quieten any dissent

** for me, considering i don't want 3000 extra sounds (though i might appreiate the option of expansions)

I think $149 VIP upgrade to Omnisphere 2 is a more reasonable deal. Atmosphere to Omnisphere seemed huge, and the VIP upgrade for that was $149. A VIP $199 upgrade from Omnisphere 1 to 2, being that it doesn't seem of the magnitude of Atmosphere to Omnisphere, seems a bit...off. I guess we aren't really entitled to a "VIP" upgrade, so whatever is offered should be seen as a nice gesture ;)

Camel apparently decided to cash out by selling to a single company than continuing to sell to customers. Hmm, wonder why that might be? Maybe the work that went into Alchemy 2 was worth more to that one buyer than what Camel thought would be the "bitching free" upgrade price to users?

Return to “Instruments”