What is your favorite small effects developer and why?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"Small" meaning 1/2-man effects operations that charge <$50usd for their products. I'm not interested in instruments at all.

I've recently learned about a few that I'd never heard of, and was very impressed with. I'd love to learn about more of these companies!

The list so far:
OverTone DSP
ValhallaDSP - Frequently mentioned
Klanghelm - Frequently mentioned
HorNet Plugins
LVC-Audio
Tokyo Dawn Labs - Frequently mentioned
Eareckon
Variety of Sound
xoxos
Saltline
Sknote
Sonimus
Xfer Records
DDMF
MuTools
Stillwell Audio
Toneboosters - Frequently mentioned
AudioThing
TSE Audio
Kazrog
Air Windows
Audio Damage
Shattered Glass Audio
Glitch Machines
Kuassa
Boz Digital
Liquid Sonics

Honorable mentions (>$50 or awesome 2+ man teams):
Cytomic >$50
Melda Production mostly >$50
Voxengo >$50 unless on sale
Last edited by HobbyCore on Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:24 am, edited 16 times in total.

Xoxos. Creative genius and $35 for everything last time I checked.

LVC Audio, HoRNet, TDR and OverTone DSP... :love:

Why? Because they offer great, professional plugins for a small price!

Nobody knows how many are there behind the facade of a web page. For example Camel Audio, Spectrasonics, Fxpansion, Waldorf, etc. Now we all know h-he is shaping a team but some years ago it was only Urs.

It would be interesting to know those things in order to know more or less the product life expectancy.

Maybe Fxpanssion in case it is a single man orchestra...

Guillotin wrote:Maybe Fxpanssion in case it is a single man orchestra...
They aren't 1 person, and none of their products are <$50usd :roll:

Guillotin wrote:Nobody knows how many are there behind the facade of a web page. For example Camel Audio, Spectrasonics, Fxpansion, Waldorf, etc. Now we all know h-he is shaping a team but some years ago it was only Urs.

It would be interesting to know those things in order to know more or less the product life expectancy.
Waldorf has a team, it's not a single developer, as far as I remember...

Tricky-Loops wrote:LVC Audio, HoRNet, TDR and OverTone DSP... :love:

Why? Because they offer great, professional plugins for a small price!
Overtone and TDR are why I started this thread...

HoRNeT is exactly what I was hoping I'd find. This stuff is awesome! (too bad their CMS keeps crashing)

Valhalla
my favorit is Übermod
very good sound

eaReckon
love the free Gate, Transreckon, EaRebound
and again very good sound

Klanghelm!

:bang: :wheee: Can a one man developer charge more then $50,and still be my favorite small dev? is that allowed? God forbid he make money off of his hard work.. :evil:
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

ValhallaDSP, Sean makes amazingly intuitive, usable and good sounding reverbs for a great price :tu:
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

Bootsy (variety of sound), wok, TAL... Xoxos as well of course. All people with a real knowledge of what makes a specific effect/synth sound good, and a really nice way of interacting with their users. No flashy-look-at-my-cool-product with them. They keep things in an aura of honesty and credibility that i like. I can't stand people who feel the need to compensate for a poor product by having an attitude. Many big companies could learn from those guys.
It's not what you use, it's how you use it...

de la mancha too.

Ted of Saltline Audio will always be the first that comes to mind for me- after all, he did pick my concept for a new synth and actually ask for and incorporate my feedback for its revision, soo yeah... kinda hard not to feel good about a fella who's willing to do that and slap your name on it besides (Oh, and his work in general looks and sounds great). Which reminds me of Björn of Full Bucket Music, being so kind as to bring Ragnarök to life for CrimsonWarlock, as well as his other nice synths..

As well as those already mentioned, can't forget Xavier Kalensky, Krakli, Novaflash, Mike Sybrandt aka GTG, OdO, De la Mancha, Elektrostudio, Kirsty Roland, HG Fortune (RIP)..

For their >$50 offerings, Audjoo, TubeOhm, and ArtVera give plenty of bang for the buck in my eyes.

As for "Why?".. These seem to be (or unfortunately, were) people who cared both about what they were putting out there and the people who used their stuff- I've not come across anything to make me think any of them are or were anything but creative and generous people with perfectionist streaks.
Last edited by ccDuckett on Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Music can no longer soothe the worried thoughts of monarchs; it can only tell you when it's time to buy margarine or copulate. -xoxos
Discontinue use if rash or irritation develops.

Return to “Effects”