Logic nodes ? ...how tu use them successfully !

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As far as i know, this application is intended to make a bridge between two computers to add both CPU powers of both platform inside logic

So indeed i own now two mac (a macmini and an iMac) using both a quadcore i7 chips, that means that theorically i should dispose of 16 virtual cores, though both machines aren't clocked at the same speed... (2.6 and 3.2 Ghz) ...to work with logic

The questions are, of course :

- how should i connect physically and virtually both computers ?
- Might RAM volumes of both computers be cumulated as well or not ?
- Are they other application that might benefit of this increase of power like Metasynth for instance ?

Thanks in advance, ...in that respect KVR always rules !

:help: :tu:

Anyone ?

I assume that usually the bridge was made through ethernet connexion

Any link perhaps ?

- i can’t find a page on the issue in Apple’s site, i’ll try to see closer in Logic owner's manual...

I just saw on a fresh forum that it doesn’t work on 64bit system :

http://fr.audiofanzine.com/sequenceur-g ... arche.html

…but is it still the case in 2015 ?

Logic Node no longer exists with the release of LX

I see…
...currently i’m still using Logic 9 , so there is no way to bridge Logic Pro 9 in 64 bits ?

Don't know if nodes are still working, but for sure:

- RAM won't be shared
- Processes won't be shared
E.g. if both computers can't run DIVA in divine mode, it won't work neither when both computers are working together as nodes.

The computer where you open the synth/plugin will do the processing. The master will just receive the audio. Of course there also will be some data going back and forth, but definitely nothing for RAM and processes. It's like to single machines, that are connected audio wise.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Krakatau wrote:I see…
...currently i’m still using Logic 9 , so there is no way to bridge Logic Pro 9 in 64 bits ?

I know the last version of Logic Node was "Logic Node V 9.1.8" but i never tried it in 64 bit mode I am sorry to say :(

Hopefully someone else can verify it 100% for you.

Deft_bonez is correct though, the other slave mac would be using it's own ram and cpu completely, it would simply be an ethernet plug in slave, think receptor for example. So people could use it in theory as a dedicated sample machine.. one could have 4gb of ram on a shitty main machine and use the node for a sampler and have 32gb on that machine, and IF logic Node is indeed 64 bits, the slave could use the ram on that machine if that makes sense.

Well... in the case i’ll took an iMac with 2.8 Ghz i7 as master with 16Gig RAM as master, and a machine with 2.3 Ghz i7 with 4 Gig RAM as slave

So i assume that with a 32 bit node the slave machine will be limited to 4 Gig RAM , ...but not necessarily the master one ?

Krakatau wrote:Well... in the case i’ll took an iMac with 2.8 Ghz i7 as master with 16Gig RAM as master, and a machine with 2.3 Ghz i7 with 4 Gig RAM as slave

So i assume that with a 32 bit node the slave machine will be limited to 4 Gig RAM , ...but not necessarily the master one ?
if it only works in logic 32 so will your master machine.. it will be logic 32 to logic 32

Edit i have just found out LN is 32 bit only.. and some plugins don't work with it. It's up to you but I would go with VEP pro TBH.

If you really need so much CPU power, probably it's best to just run them single and route the audio from one to the other. Maybe using Dante. Never tried this though. Then there is the syncing issue too. Not an easy task ;)

EDIT: And you would have to work with two computers, screens, keyboards, etc. :?
Last edited by stardustmedia on Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:(

I'll second Theo's suggestion to get VEP. As he and deft_bonz point out, you will not be able to use the other computer to double up RAM or CPU. They are and will remain individual. But, you can take advantage of the hardware using VEP.

However, an alternative is to load Jack Audio to get audio between the computers.

Here is the Wiki on Jack Audio:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JACK_Audio_Connection_Kit

And this thread will give you info on the Windows version setup:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8&t=428605

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

deft_bonz wrote:If you really need so much CPU power, probably it's best to just run them single and route the audio from one to the other. Maybe using Dante. Never tried this though. Then there is the syncing issue too. Not an easy task ;)

EDIT: And you would have to work with two computers, screens, keyboards, etc. :?
As a user of VEP, I can state the syncing is not really an issue. Yes, there is some latency, obviously since you use ethernet; however, it is extremely low level latency. I doubt you will notice latency using VEP

Yes, you will need multiple monitors, keyboards, etc., unless you use a KVM switch or use a virtual switch like Input Director. I don't know if the latter is a OSX product though. (I think it is but the software is dated - there may be better software out there.)

I'm using Input Director on 3 Windows machines and was able to eliminate the multiple keyboards.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

dsan@mail.com wrote:
deft_bonz wrote:If you really need so much CPU power, probably it's best to just run them single and route the audio from one to the other. Maybe using Dante. Never tried this though. Then there is the syncing issue too. Not an easy task ;)

As a user of VEP, I can state the syncing is not really an issue. Yes, there is some latency, obviously since you use ethernet; however, it is extremely low level latency. I doubt you will notice latency using VEP

Yes, you will need multiple monitors, keyboards, etc., unless you use a KVM switch or use a virtual switch like Input Director. I don't know if the latter is a OSX product though. (I think it is but the software is dated - there may be better software out there.)

I'm using Input Director on 3 Windows machines and was able to eliminate the multiple keyboards.

Happy Musiking!
dsan

I also used a KVM switch years ago. It helps reducing redundant hardware significantly, but the work stays doubled.

I'd look for a different workflow if you really really need so much CPU power, even a high performance computer can't give you. I mean how much tracks and effects can you nowadays load into a e.g. highend Macpro? I think you'd need to go crazy.

On the other hand if you write music with a such CPU hungry workflow I bet you got the money to buy a system with multiple perfectly synced computers as Hans Zimmer had with 16 computers running Giga Sampler orchestras. Probably an intern will then set it up for you anyway :D

…would you please excuse my ignorance but, …KVM …VEP …TBH ?

WTF does these acronym means !

:oops:

Also, if i understand correctly in the peculiar context of logic node, i assume them both volumes of RAM being totally independent, you might benefit at the most of two independent volumes of 4 Gig, right ?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”