All good things come to those who wait.. the Synth Squad 2 thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Amber (DCAM: Synth Squad) Cypher (DCAM: Synth Squad) Strobe (DCAM: Synth Squad)

Make shure a new Dcam Synth Squad support multy core because it was a very weak point and even if u have 12 core monster CPU it is no better then laptop CPU!
Well, it is, in that you still have 11 cores left to do other things with! Most people only have four cores, in general it's better for a single synth to use one core as efficiently as possible leaving the others free for things like the DAW and OS. It's possible we'll allow multiple threads in Fusor at some point, but surely not within a single synth.
Since there's a way for the sub oscillator to bypass unison stacking, I think it would be cool for the sub to be able to bypass the filter. So many times I need a sine or triangle wave unfiltered, while the main body of the bass goes through a HPF or BPF. Anyway, I'm really excited about this
There's a bleed control on the filter, so you can let some bass through an HPF (or some treble through an LPF), but there's no way to split out the sub and treat it separately.
And if i set oversimpling for 8x for 48Khz it will be very dificult to run that on a singel core even on modern top of the line CPUs.
You'd be surprised! At 8x, 48KHz, 32voices some of the Strobe2 patches use about 30% of one core on my (3+ years old) Sandybridge i5-2500 desktop.
And obviously new CPUs goes more toward not bigger clocks but more cores.
What they also go more toward is bigger vector (SSE, AVX, AVX3) units on each core. The AVX3 vector unit on this years' Skylake machines is insane. 512-bit (16-wide at single precision) vector unit with 32-entry register file, mask registers & fused multiply-add. In laymans' terms that means SS2 gets almost double performance on Skylake vs Broadwell - 32 voices @ 8x48Khz should be well under 20% of one 3GHz core on those systems.
This account is dormant, I am no longer employed by FXpansion / ROLI.

Find me on LinkedIn or elsewhere if you need to get in touch.

Angus_FX wrote:
Make shure a new Dcam Synth Squad support multy core because it was a very weak point and even if u have 12 core monster CPU it is no better then laptop CPU!
Well, it is, in that you still have 11 cores left to do other things with! Most people only have four cores, in general it's better for a single synth to use one core as efficiently as possible leaving the others free for things like the DAW and OS. It's possible we'll allow multiple threads in Fusor at some point, but surely not within a single synth.
And if i set oversimpling for 8x for 48Khz it will be very dificult to run that on a singel core even on modern top of the line CPUs.
You'd be surprised! At 8x, 48KHz, 32voices some of the Strobe2 patches use about 30% of one core on my (3+ years old) Sandybridge i5-2500 desktop.
I record at 192kz at 32bit and 64 bit persigion audio( do not miss undersnadt with 64 bit Os) in Studio One and runing DCam Synth Squad at 2x over sampling.
Right now i have base model of Mac Pro of late 2013 ( silinder one) and it has the festes singel core performance out of all Mac Pros and even with some very basic paches if i will set poliphony to 32 and then use some relise and if i press key quickly i will have over load of singel core.
Hpefully the new one is more effisient with CPU but only if it does not mean compromise with sound quality!!!
https://слово-божье.рф

At 192k you don't even really need to use oversampling... since you're basically doing stuff as if you're at 48k with 4x oversampling...

Hopefully the new one is more effisient with CPU but only if it does not mean compromise with sound quality!!!
That's what we've done! Big efficiency savings on "Sandy Bridge" and newer CPUs (any machine released since 2011), moderate savings on older machines. Same sound quality (in fact better for many people, as we now default to 2x oversample & don't allow 1x if the host SR is 44/48).

EvilDragon wrote:At 192k you don't even really need to use oversampling... since you're basically doing stuff as if you're at 48k with 4x oversampling...
Thank u i know this!
But runing at 192Khz and 2x oversampling for DCam Synth Squade means 48Khz at 8x oversamling! :party:

Angus_FX wrote:
Hopefully the new one is more effisient with CPU but only if it does not mean compromise with sound quality!!!
That's what we've done! Big efficiency savings on "Sandy Bridge" and newer CPUs (any machine released since 2011), moderate savings on older machines. Same sound quality (in fact better for many people, as we now default to 2x oversample & don't allow 1x if the host SR is 44/48).
:clap:

Angus_FX wrote:You'd be surprised! At 8x, 48KHz, 32voices some of the Strobe2 patches use about 30% of one core on my (3+ years old) Sandybridge i5-2500 desktop.
Wow! :o
we now default to 2x oversample & don't allow 1x if the host SR is 44/48
Smart!

Can we speak about other parts of Dcam Synth Squade other then Strobe here?!
The think which bothered me alot was with Cypher and here are what:
1) One knob FM!!! The possibilites where wery limited with that approach. Better in Cyper 2 there will be more functions then that. For example it would be very nice if it was possible to set amplitude for each operator and carier separetly with graphicaly drowed emvelops ( like it is in NI FM8 for example done)
To do that u can implement grahical envelops on separet page( like it is done in Uhe Bazzillie) and then in mod sorce to be able to select amplitube of carrier or operator and rout it to graphical emvelop.
2) With different sample rates or oversamplings the beat of FM was different. ( And actualy it was already confermed as a bug)

1) One knob FM!!! The possibilites where wery limited with that approach. Better in Cyper 2 there will be more functions then that. For example it would be very nice if it was possible to set amplitude for each operator and carier separetly with graphicaly drowed emvelops ( like it is in NI FM8 for example done)
Cypher is a model of an analogue synth, the FM design is strongly influenced by the ARP 2600 & various Euro modules. It's a completely different beast to a four/six/eight-operator digital FM synth.

Having said that, I'm a huge fan of FM synthesis, especially old four-op designs like the TX81z, and as mentioned earlier in this thread, a digital FM synth with TransMod would certainly be a nice thing to have.

Cypher's FM is superb. It sounds great and is easy to use.
BUT! I'd welcome better key-scaling options, with multi-point interaction for the FM amount, so we could dip the highs, boost the mids and slightly dip the bass, as an example. And if these points could be user editable that would be even better.

@chilly7,
Further on the topic of FM, don't forget that you can always send any oscillator and use it to modulate anything you wish via TransMod! This can give some cool results if set up carefully (otherwise you might get rather noisy output).
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Kriminal wrote:I've completely overlooked Synth Squad...i think i DL the demo twice and never tried...maybe V2 is the time to give them a good run :)
I hate to use those words, but there's nothing more phat (oi!) and analogue sounding in software, what I am concerned.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

himalaya wrote:Cypher's FM is superb. It sounds great and is easy to use.
BUT! I'd welcome better key-scaling options, with multi-point interaction for the FM amount, so we could dip the highs, boost the mids and slightly dip the bass, as an example. And if these points could be user editable that would be even better.

@chilly7,
Further on the topic of FM, don't forget that you can always send any oscillator and use it to modulate anything you wish via TransMod! This can give some cool results if set up carefully (otherwise you might get rather noisy output).
Can u already answer me where is a Strobe and real one?!! lol

In all ur examples i like the second one played. :phones:

Sorry, chilly7, I totally forgot about that post! :-)

The files are mixed. So, you liked a mix of the real SH and Strobe:

1. Strobe - SH101
2. Strobe - SH101
3. SH101 - Strobe
4. SH101 - Strobe
5. Strobe - SH101
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Angus_FX wrote: Cypher is a model of an analogue synth, the FM design is strongly influenced by the ARP 2600 & various Euro modules. It's a completely different beast to a four/six/eight-operator digital FM synth.
This is why I love it. It's unique in the plugin world. The workflow I find to be much faster and more rewarding than most operator style synths. And frankly I find it has a sound that falls somewhere between digital fm and analog subtractive that makes it my favorite of the three SS plugs.

Looking forward to screenshots and new features for it!

himalaya wrote:Sorry, chilly7, I totally forgot about that post! :-)

The files are mixed. So, you liked a mix of the real SH and Strobe:

1. Strobe - SH101
2. Strobe - SH101
3. SH101 - Strobe
4. SH101 - Strobe
5. Strobe - SH101
That is strange, i need to relisten to that when i have time. I was sure that on second one was the same synth all the time.
But thank u for responce!

Return to “Instruments”